Falling hollows?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanBrown3D

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was wondering what strategy people have for directional falling of totally hollowed out trees? What I have in mind is a 2-3' hickory or similar, with maybe a 5" ring of solid wood surrounding a hollow middle. Trees are not near any structure, but still. I've had a couple of these recently.

Cheers

Dean

with 5" of live wood, you are in good shape. Just make your notch sort of shallow so you aren't too far into the hollow. Be precise with your back cut and don't cut your hinge too thin.
The scary ones are the ones with only an inch or 2 of solid wood.

like Skwerl said, but remember that your back cut with go a lot faster since there is less to saw so be ready to get on your horse a little sooner.

hollow trees

Dean:
You might be able to move up or down the stem a little from where you normally face/back-cut to get more or better wood.
You might also be able to put your face into the area where the rind is the thinnest or weakest. To give you a better situation.
Definitely see if you can use the best part of what tree you have to work with as your holding wood.
Try and do your finish cutting with as little bar as possible.
If you're back a bit, because you can with the wood only a few inches thick, you can escape just a skosh faster and are less likely to pinch the bar.
None of these might apply to your scenario, but then again ....

I was out 'wooding' with a newby. He wanted a tree that had been through a fire, still live but totally burned out on one side and middle about 30" DBH. Picture a "C" with 3 or 4" of sorta good wood on the ring. Also a distinct lean. He asked me to fall it for him. I did by standing back and using just the tip of my 24" bar. Just as I was lining up the cut he asked "Aren't you going to undercut it?" What are you mad? That think is likely to come down with the first few inches of cut, barber chair, anything. I'm not about to stand on the falling side. As it was it came cleanly but my heartbeat was in the stratosphere.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back