falling large tree tops

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Everybody has to do what they feel comfortable with... Here's a 7 minute video that shows what I've been doing lately, standing in the hooks and dropping big tops.. sometimes I Am just trying to cut above the decay, other times the cut has to be placed hhigh to allow the top to fit in the LZ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNV5gnZpMSo

You may think its not safe, but don't be sure of what can't be done... If me saying that I AM good enough to do this safely makes me sound pompous, then I don't know how else to say it... Also consider the alternative, which is often rigging out a big tree over a house or near wires etc, there are dangers involved there that get avoided..

Last edited:
Allright you old bastard, I will give it to you. Good work! I don't see to many people doing that kind of stuff besides myself.

The dead ash looked like a hope and a prayer cut to me. Nothing involving skill there, just pay in exchange for balls. Sometimes you gotta make em....you just don't go around bragging about em and instead look upstairs and say thanks.

Looked like there were alternatives such as a tie in in another tree or a big shot into the top and pull some of it out with a follow up line and yank from a dingo etc.

Seems like some of the other cuts were made for effect as well and there were safer alternatives again. Kind of like the balance point rigging video meant to be innovative when reality it is putting more risk day to day than should be acceptable to a rational thinking individual.

Nice work gutsy drops. The 1st one similar task I had the whole lot bounced on the foliage n limbs and the butt come back try n eat me.
Last one dead into n past other tree tops u got big balls, you know how they hook and come back on ya.
Well done luv the cam work and puttin that tri pod in close.

Hey get ya groundie to start it 1st then pass up your saw. That how you wear out your arms back n bones.

Last edited:
Video removed by user,I hoipe your not taking it to heart Daniel!!Your a good tree man well above most!

nice

Like your style--

Be careful though....never did like the idea of "bailing-out" of a tree after making notch and cutting halfway through with back cut.

I Got caught couple times with a pinched saw on top of a tree trying to go too big. Not a good feeling. Usually happens at the end of the day, or an underbid job.

be safe....claim free :)

Latest posts

Back