Falling wedges. What's good, what's not, and why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ramble on, indeed! I've worked on Champion and Weyerhauser land in East Lewis County, but I've never seen a stand of Yew. That would be a sight. I've swam through an understory made entirely of OG Rhododendron, often 15 feet or so off the ground. I've found Sitka Spruce and Lodgepole Pine together in an alluvial valley over 100 miles from the coast. I've measured Alders almost twice as tall as the top end of the Site Index curves, but I've never found more than two or three Yew to an acre. I guess that's one of the things I like best about working in the woods -- there's always something new and weird out there around the next bend. It never gets old, and even if it started to, the seasons keep changing, and therefore so does the work. I don't see myself doing anything different for a living any time soon. 'Course, I'll quit soon as it stops being fun, but I don't see that happening, either.

Ramble on, indeed! I've worked on Champion and Weyerhauser land in East Lewis County, but I've never seen a stand of Yew. That would be a sight. I've swam through an understory made entirely of OG Rhododendron, often 15 feet or so off the ground. I've found Sitka Spruce and Lodgepole Pine together in an alluvial valley over 100 miles from the coast. I've measured Alders almost twice as tall as the top end of the Site Index curves, but I've never found more than two or three Yew to an acre. I guess that's one of the things I like best about working in the woods -- there's always something new and weird out there around the next bend. It never gets old, and even if it started to, the seasons keep changing, and therefore so does the work. I don't see myself doing anything different for a living any time soon. 'Course, I'll quit soon as it stops being fun, but I don't see that happening, either.

Some of the drainages that have yew in abundance are the Silvercreek drainage, the Yellowjacket drainage, the Quartz Creed drainage and the McCoy creek drainage. I can show you where there's so many it's just like reprod. The Silvercreek drainage has the worlds largest one. I think the FS kind of hid the location from the road as they were afraid that someone would go down and cut it. I've also run into a lot of it on the NF of the Tilton way up at the headwaters. It seems that when an area with a few yew woods were clear cut they came back in force.
I've worked in those Rhodys up on the peninsula before and never did take a liking to them either. Nice to look at when they're in bloom but a pain to cut in.

From the description, it sounds like their abundance is tied closely to elevation. Maybe aspect too? I know they favor the shade, perhaps these drainages have a northern aspect? 2500 ft +/- 500 ft? Got me thinkin'.
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought of elevation or aspect.
Now that think about it most of the thickest patches are on south aspects that were heavily timbered. The elevation bands that I've seen most of them in are around the 2500' mark. I can think of one other that has a northeast aspect that has some really nice trees in it. Good observation.

I searched high and low today for a good old axe and felling wedges at the "redneck" convention (antique tractor show) But found nothing but rusty ol junk :( I wanted something to show off here. I think a axe collection will be next on my list.

The one i found was at about 2400 feet right in the middle of a group of second growth hemlock

Thank you. I always try to figure out the context of the weird stuff, so I know where to look for similar things elsewhere. This just gave me another thing to keep an eye on.

yup, thinkin all the time. lol.

Here ya go pard:

100_0826.jpg

100_0827.jpg

Those nails rule, specially when bushelin...not havin to wait around for your tape to come in...actually have to slow er down a little to keep it from comin back and stabbin ya! They are way too sharp at first as the sharp point bends the first time you plug it into somethin hard, but just take a flflat file to it and make it a little more blunt and she works great. The way they make tapes anymore with the weak ass springs, you gotta lighten up your tape any way you can. I bought a hundred of these for $.25 cents a piece from John Day Riggin in Oregon. Not sure if they still make em, but they are worth havin.

thanks buddy, that's pretty cool, how does it fit in to the collar on the end of thet tape, do you have to take it apart and re rivet it?

On the Yew, yes Randy is correct about the French cutting off the fingers of the bowmen also in UK and Ireland it was planted in grave yards to keep stock out as the "berries" are poisiness ( feel free to correct spelling) and only last year a pal of mine had to payout around $5000 for stock that died after one of his guys tipped a load of yew wood chip in a feild full of stock.
I had the honor to do some pruning work on one of the oldest Yew trees in the UK, in a grave yard in a village in East Sussex I recall it is put at around 2000 yrears old and is held together with a huge ship anchor chain. In the village ,Willmington, is also a massive chalk carving on a hill side from the days of Druids etc it is known as the Long Man of Willmington.

On the Yew, yes Randy is correct about the French cutting off the fingers of the bowmen also in UK and Ireland it was planted in grave yards to keep stock out as the "berries" are poisiness ( feel free to correct spelling) and only last year a pal of mine had to payout around $5000 for stock that died after one of his guys tipped a load of yew wood chip in a feild full of stock.
I had the honor to do some pruning work on one of the oldest Yew trees in the UK, in a grave yard in a village in East Sussex I recall it is put at around 2000 yrears old and is held together with a huge ship anchor chain. In the village ,Willmington, is also a massive chalk carving on a hill side from the days of Druids etc it is known as the Long Man of Willmington.

Hey, Dave, how about honoring us with a picture if that yew? I'd love to see it and see if it's the same kind of yew that grows here. There's trees all over the world that have the same name to them but look completely different. For example, the Cedar of Lebanon and the cedars on the pacific coast here, western red, Alaskan cedar, port orford cedar, incense cedar, all look different yet have similarities. Cedar of Lebanon doesn't look anything like these cedars. If you can get a pic that would really be neat.

No pic of that very tree it was 18yrs ago and I haven't lived in that country for the last 15 yrs ! but will get a couple of pics of the most common Tax. BACCATA and I think the tree in Wilmington may be in a book " Meetings with remarkable trees " by Thomas PAKENHAM so I will have a look also I reckon it may be on the internet under Wilmington Yew. Thinking back I was very lucky as I also got to work on the last weeping Elm at Brighton Pavillion which had survived the beetle. The boss said " no pressure Dave it's the last one so just don't eff it up" I hadn't be climbing long and was so proud that I was allowed to work on such a tree. Again Brighton Pavillion is on the net Im sure.

I look forward to seeing them. Thanks.
Well, gentlemen, have a good weekend. I'm to haying and will be for the next few weeks I'm sure. Hope to stop by for a chat in the evenings. Happy 4th of July to everyone.
John

thanks buddy, that's pretty cool, how does it fit in to the collar on the end of thet tape, do you have to take it apart and re rivet it?

Your welcome pard. Just take the factory d ring off end of tape, spread this one, and squeeze it on...I always slid the factory bumper up over to keep it together as sometimes it has a tendancey to come off...also keeps it rigid and easier to grab hold of.

Latest posts

Back