Falling wedges. What's good, what's not, and why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Texans giving it a whirl now?!!?

Holy smokes,it don't get much funnier than that! Speak a little Spanish for me,hang a picture of a haybale and then frost it with a Rat Whitetail sluiced from within the fence.

As an aside,you should give thought to correcting those crossed-eyes,as it's rather unbecoming of a busty broad such as yourself.

:monkey: Such a lack of creativity there. You're the world's greatest bloviator! Can you turn your hot air back into ####?

Honey,your insecurities are very well founded.

The only things you are qualified to talk about in the firsthand,are what Midol tastes like and how it feels to traipse around with 50cc's of Vagisil inserted in it's usual location for you.

I'd take notes and let the men talk...you'll learn sumptin'.

Cork Shoes is back already? Man, he must not have much of a life.

Can you delete the garbage posts?

Already did, kept the pics because some of them are both interesting and on-topic. Goon's so dense he can't even spam a forum right -- I'm sure he didn't actually MEAN to contribute anything!

And thanks for deleting the posts.

Yer welcome!

Last edited:
Back to the trees and wedges. I've got a storm damage job I'm working on that's a real mess. There's a fairly large walnut that's laying on top of four or five other trees. It's around twenty feet up to the first snag and climbs from there. I'll get some pics if anyone's interested.

Oh, wedges ain't gonna help. :)

Back to the trees and wedges. I've got a storm damage job I'm working on that's a real mess. There's a fairly large walnut that's laying on top of four or five other trees. It's around twenty feet up to the first snag and climbs from there. I'll get some pics if anyone's interested.

Oh, wedges ain't gonna help. :)

would love to see pictures, another thread might be in order for that storm job. please let us know if you do start one.

thanks,
cody

There's a fairly large walnut that's laying on top of four or five other trees. It's around twenty feet up to the first snag and climbs from there. . . .Oh, wedges ain't gonna help

I know that you are kidding, but others following the thread might miss it. Storm damage is when the tension and compression is so hard to judge - end bind, side bind, twisting, etc. Wedges are cheap insurance against binds and aggravation when bucking tangled stuff.

Think tension. Work from small to large and large to small as necessary to put as much weight on the ground as possible. Don't worry about cleanup until it's safe to be walking around in there.

Tangled stuff 20 feet up is a bit over my head. I like to think of storm damage piles like Pick-Up-Stix or Jenga. Go around and clean up/clear out all the little brush and branches to 'simplify' the problem. Then take it one step at a time. Make a cut - see what moves, what changes. Make another cut. Etc.

Philbert

I know that you are kidding, but others following the thread might miss it. Storm damage is when the tension and compression is so hard to judge - end bind, side bind, twisting, etc. Wedges are cheap insurance against binds and aggravation when bucking tangled stuff.

Tangled stuff 20 feet up is a bit over my head. I like to think of storm damage piles like Pick-Up-Stix or Jenga. Go around and clean up/clear out all the little brush and branches to 'simplify' the problem. Then take it one step at a time. Make a cut - see what moves, what changes. Make another cut. Etc.

Philbert

I do use wedges when bucking probably more than when falling. You're right though I was just joking around. This stuff is a real mess. The trees that are holding it up are 12" - 14" pines and there's a 10" walnut under extreme stress. This is something to take very seriously.

I'll get some pics tomorrow and start a thread.

I do use wedges when bucking probably more than when falling. You're right though I was just joking around. This stuff is a real mess. The trees that are holding it up are 12" - 14" pines and there's a 10" walnut under extreme stress. This is something to take very seriously.

I'll get some pics tomorrow and start a thread.

Tie a rope around one of them trees and yank her out with a big old pickemup truck. Then limb and buck it up as usual...

Yes, my preferred method can be very messy, and possibly expensive if you don't happen to have a 1" bull rope laying around in the garage or available through a friend, etc...

Remember, you probably want to pull hard with that truck... if you don't, root ball falls back in, rips the frame in half or breaks all of the driveshafts/axles...

Well, what do I know? I ain't HBRN... :D

My Jak Max wedges are extra special models. They sing to keep me entertained on the job. A low base thump to start with then rising to a tinking crescendo. Even the trees appreciate my wedges, usually with a single or just a few polite claps near the end of the show.

Last edited:
Back