Famous Annual "I Really Heat With Wood"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Famous Annual: "I Really Heat With Wood" Poll

• Total voters
Fossil furnace on all the time. Wood heat "up from" +/- 55 F.

That's how I voted, but WD has it right:

What about, "My woodstove heats over half of the house?"

There is huge gap between the second alternative and the the third. The third alternative doesn't even make any sense. Please rewrite the question. Thanks. :popcorn:

My propane is on, and set to 55, but it only runs if I'm not around to fill the stove, or those -30F mornings when the stove burns down. Gas oven and hot water, annual use under 200gal/year.

No backup up here just isn't practical, unless someone is home all the time, or the neighbor fills it for you.

the only propane bottles I have are sitting on the front of my camper.
the owb does require elec power for heat but will still heat water during power outages. I have 2 generators but they require gasoline so ,no I,m not off the grid.

What about, "My woodstove heats over half of the house?"

There is huge gap between the second alternative and the the third. The third alternative doesn't even make any sense. Please rewrite the question. Thanks. :popcorn:

NO. :deadhorse: What is is. :buttkick:
And , there are no "alternatives", simply categories. Now if you want Levels of Significance with verifiable statistical errors, %$@#&! :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

NO. :deadhorse: What is is. :buttkick:
And , there are no "alternatives", simply categories. Now if you want Levels of Significance with verifiable statistical errors, %$@#&! :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:
Statistics are irrelevant. But, well-phrased questions are totally relevant to any poll and without that, the stats don't mean squat. Hey, this is not a scientific forum, but give us a break. :dizzy:

Propane is my fall back crutch. It powers my hot water heater, and the furnace. The furnace kicked on a couple times last year. I will keep it around in case I need it, but wood is my primary source of heat...because Im old school and I like the smell and look of it. Thats how my Dad taught me.

Well over here in the Uk we use wood for heat, but we rarely seem to see night time temperatures below -5C these days. We dont have a big house so the one woodstove got the job done last winter and seems it will have to be enough again this winter. I would love to add another woodstove to my collection for the dinning room. The house is wired for electric night storage heaters, which we removed when we moved in as they were old and full of asbestos. Our water is heated at night by electric :cry:, this house has very little plumbing as its very old, so any changes mean total re-fit and much £'s (sorry $'s!) which I haven't got!

Got 27 acres of good Aussie hardwood forest right up to my door why would I use anything else. Great exercise splitting by hand to keep us older blokes fit. Done it all my life.
Its also a good excuse to get outdoors when the PITA relatives drop over & they start P***ing me off!

I'm on a 10 gallon limit for fuel oil, use it just to blow the dampness out in the fall mornings. Bout 2 more gallons left and the CB5648 will be makin heat and DHW till june! :clap: And more wood for backup! :D

Statistics are irrelevant. But, well-phrased questions are totally relevant to any poll and without that, the stats don't mean squat. Hey, this is not a scientific forum, but give us a break. :dizzy:

LEAD, FOLLOW, .....OR GET OUT OF THE WAY ::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Call me mean if you want, but I throw the breaker on our heat pump to make dang sure it doesnt get used after the summer heat is over.Threw it last week, so if we need heat its the woodstove,not the thermostat.
Wife is pretty good about firing the stove if she is cold, but the daughter on the other hand.....

I voted no ff backup and that is sort of correct!?! I have electric baseboard heat that gets used only when we are away. The percent of time that it gets used is so small to be next to nil.

BTW - we have a nuke plant near here, so it may be completely correct that I have no FF backup, but I can't be sure on where the power comes from, as it all goes into the same grid.

Wood Doc does have a point here, but not what was posted.:(

Hands up to vote:
Are non-fossil fuel sources--NUCLEAR, HYDRO, WIND, SOLAR--what we want to consider as part of "non-fossil" in the great annual poll here ? They do have a serious $$$ fossil cost of production, maintenance, construction, and transmission.
Trees are solar BTW. How does our net cost of wood heating compare with those so-called non-fossil sources of BTU's ? Do we plug in the beautiful body bennie of working wood ?:monkey:
Thx Wood Doc. :clap:

No backup up here just isn't practical, unless someone is home all the time, or the neighbor fills it for you.

Agreed, up here there realy isn't an option. Unless we creat a new line of work. Who needs baby sitters, dog sitters, All we need is Wood stove/OWB sitters! Some kid thats willing to freeze there nutz off and fill the stove when your not home!

I'm on dino 100% for now. Till I get my setup built. But will be looking for wood with electric backup.

My parents run 80% on a wood pellet stove. The other 20% is gas. The last few weeks the temps have been down in the 40's. So they run the pelet stove at night to take the edge off. And have yet to need the gas furnace or the stove to run durring the day to keep the temps comfortable.

The house is heated 100% with wood furnace in basement, but I still pay about $35 per month year round for hot water heater and gas stove/oven for cooking. I know I don't use $35 per month but I think it is just there base rate for nat. gas piped in. Bastards

Wood with Propane backup for spring and fall.

Just had the Propane tank refilled for the year.
Water heater, stove/Oven, and furnace on Propane.
$540 for the year.
Electric bill is always between 35-45 bucks per month.

2,200 sq.ft house on top of a full basement.

Internet and Satellite TV bills are higher than energy bills.:D

Just don't ask me how much $$ I put into the saws this year LOL!!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Elec bill 35-45/ mo! WOW.....I'm at $100 easy! Dag-gone

I leave the furnace at 50F but it never comes one because the wood stove is always going. The furnace is there to prevent pipes from freezing when we're on vacation or out for a couple days.

Electric/Gas bill here (gas hot water) is about $75-90 per month but we do a lot of laundry with three kids. When we had no kids, the bill for gas/Hot water was about $45-50/month.

I use usually 500-700 kW of electricity depending on the month and billing period and about 24-30 therms of gas for hot water.

my budget gas bill is 29.00 bucks a month gas furance and range 2600 sq ft

Same here natural gas is cheap. Heat, hot water, clothes dryer, oven, stove top, barbecue all for $100 a month. Around here wood is nice for the fireplace and that's about it.

Back