Famous Annual "I Really Heat With Wood"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Famous Annual: "I Really Heat With Wood" Poll

• Total voters
Ive got a regency "WarmHearth Wood Fireplace" to heat my house. It is really a built in stove the mimics a fireplace. With running the built in blower and ceiling fans. I am able to heat my 4000 sq. ft house to 75 degrees with ease. Ive got a newly built house thats heavily insulated and winters in my neck of the woods is mild compared to you guys back east. Ive got a buderus boiler for radiant heating (almost never used) and hot water. I get the propane tank filled about three times a year. I am looking for a wood fired boiler(inside) to work in tandem with my propane fired boiler to heat the house via the radiant system. I love my wood stove, but hate dealing with mess of ash. Ive got a warm ash vac and it keeps down the mess. But I still get ash inside the house making a mess!

Last edited:
100% wood,owb heats house,waterand garage.I'd be lost without it:hmm3grin2orange:

Poll doesn't fit my use. sometimes you just gotta turn on the central heat so you can get laid without having to wear a coat in bed. Electric mattress heater also a big plus too.
You will wait as long as you can to go pee at night when you can see your breath in the air inside!

Problem #1 for Henry in cold cold California:
Sheep in Arizona get cold water bags over their balls (can I use this?)to cool the semen. Just a thought for your heat problem.:censored:

Problem #2 for Henry in cold cold California:
Do what we do in snow caves--use a pee bottle in bed. (Yes, we know you have no stinkin' snow caves) . Please label clearly.:dizzy:

Problem #3 for Henry in cold cold California:
Mattress heating can be hazardous to your sex life.:chainsaw:

OWB here and going into our 4th year with it. Gas furnace has run exactly 4 times since we installed the boiler. Once each fall and just long enough to make sure it still works if needed.

aspen jack

wood only. 1800sq ft log home. well insulated. have not used fuel oil in 3 years. WE bought a Harmon Oakwood stove 3 years ago and haven't looked back. we keep the house around 75 degrees. Last year we lost power for almost a week, and cooked on the stove,and we burned our alladin lamps for light at night. It felt like we were back in the 1930's. I hope we lose power again this year so we can invite the neighbors for steaks and cards.

OWB here.. Used to use gas for the early month or so to take off the chill but this year I just started burning earlier. Might go from 95% wood to 100% wood this year.

Last year we lost power for almost a week, and cooked on the stove,and we burned our alladin lamps for light at night. It felt like we were back in the 1930's. I hope we lose power again this year so we can invite the neighbors for steaks and cards.[/QUOTE]

same here--power went out last year--for about 42 hours. house stayed nice and warm as mine is total convection--no blower. and i used the gene to fire the wdstov in the shop, and needed power to run the blower on it:dizzy: just in the morning,and one evening,for about 1 hour. very little gas used on the gene

100% wood for heat, BUT I still have the propane furnace t-stat set at 50 degrees F for back-up. From Oct. to June the OWB heats the house and the DHW. In the summer we like the windows open and the wife doesn't like catching "whiffs" of the "smoke dragon" so we shut it down. The dryer is still propane so that uses a little bit and there is the 3.5 months that our hot water is heated by propane as well. The 300 gallon tank was filled last Sept. to 95% and I just checked it last week and it was down to a little over 87% (not bad for 13 months IMO).

Since this poll is about wood usage vs. fossil fuels I should also mention that I still use fossil fuels in order to heat my house entirely with wood. There is, of course, the chainsaw gas and bar oil, but also the older I get the more the diesel tractor gets used to move wood and clear a path to the OWB. My electric bill also jumps quite substantially because of the diesel block heaters. The truck eats a majority of the winter juice, but I'm sure the tractor is around $10-$15 per month. Still beats the heck out of $3,800-$4,000 per year for propane. It's also hard to put a price on a 74 degree home on wood vs. a 66 degree home on propane. That 8 degrees of comfort and no thermostat wars is pretty much "priceless." Having a warm workshop and garage is also "priceless," considering I snowmobile and plow snow in the winter months.

100% wood heat in my ESW addon furnace ,no oil man and you cant say the word propane without saying PRO and PAIN :chainsaw:

To most peoples suprise, despite the fact that i work for a nation wide propane company, as a delivery driver, i do not even have a propane tank at my house, save for the BBQ tank, we have a huge stove, and thats it! water is heated with electricity as well as cooking, and wood for heat only, go big or go home.

Mostly wood here, still use propane for the stove, dryer and hot water when the wood boiler is not running but less than 100 gallons a year. and kick on the gas furnace every once in a while when its not cold enough to fire up the WB. Which i have not done yet but need to soon!!!

The wife has been naggin, but i dont want to break into that beautiful wood pile yet. We still have a loooong winter a head of us!!!

We are 100% wood this year. After burning 50/50 last year we decided to go 100%. SO far we have dipped into the 30's and aside from the middle of the night refire, house is between 68-71 in the hallways away from the fireplaces... 3600 sq ft.

Looking to grab an old Cast Iron Range for the kitchen and a small parlour wood stove for the basement.

I'll be damned if I am gonna give my peanuts to the government, I mean establishment... I mean the Gas company... LOL.

Last edited:
100%

Wood heat only. 3500sq/ft. home. Airtight woodstove downstairs and upstairs. Usually, we only need a fire downstairs. Have an indoor clothesline downstairs also, where my better half hang dries all the laundry. Toyotomi oil- fired on demand hot water heater. uses 200 gal per year, unlimited hot water. Family of 5, power bill less than $50.00 per month.:rock:

I burn 5 to 6 chords a year, and use about a ton and a half of coal. My gas kicks on at nite a few times or if I'm not home during the day.

I have a ceramic heater in my upstairs bedroom.

My wood consuming device!

100 percent at the barn/storage building/deer hunting clubhouse on the farm...1948 Majestic wood cookstove.

But here's my main wood-burner! I do BBQ for local churches/family reunions. Eats up most of my hickory/oak/cherry/dogwood! And used every week!

attachment.php

This is my Western NC chimney-style BBQ-makin' machine. It'll hold 5 whole pork shoulders. Sure does feel good standin' next to the fire in the winter...so I guess this qualifies for heating!! lol

attachment.php

And here's a couple half-shoulders in the pit that I did for my kid's church youth picnic. When I really want to impress, I use dogwood over hickory!

despite the fact that i work for a nation wide propane company, as a delivery driver, i do not even have a propane tank at my house,

Folks who founded the oil company in my town heated with wood.

Kind of humourous to stop to drop off a check and see a pile of wood stacked up between their house and the oil company yard.

Thanks !

Rotten day here Downeast: upper 30's, rain, spitting fake snow early this morning. Wimpy excuse to come in a do the PC sit. :dizzy: Both stoves running at their lowest.

Nice responses all. :givebeer: No matter how you heat, it's good to put a face on how we heat our places. Always learning; in fact, when you stop learning anything new, it is time to not come down for breakfast. :(
No hubris here.

Back