Farm Use 20-22 T Splitter - Huskee v. Iron Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hadleyfarm

Reaction score
Hi Folks;

I'm looking to pick up a good reliable splitter (<$1,500.00) for use around the farm (<10 cords per). I've so far identified Huskee 27T and Iron Oak 22T - each have relatively same specs. - Huskee has a 5.5 HP Honda & 11 gal tank, Iron has 5.0 hp Honda and 9.5 gal tank. Is there a substantial difference between manufacturers I should know about? Any insight/recommendations would be appreciated.

Nicholas

I was also looking at the Iron Oak and Ram splitters. I ended up buying a Troy Built (MTD) fron a local Lowes store. 27 ton with a 5.5 honda on it. For the price it was right for me. I would have had to pay shipping on the other brands I was looking at and were much more $$$. The troybuilt retails for $1500. Lowes sells it for $1299. Gave me 10% off for getting there credit card and just paid it off when the bill came and cut the card up. So far I have split about 16 cord with zero problems. Ripping thru logs so big I can barely roll to the splitter!!!!!!

hammer0419 said:
I was also looking at the Iron Oak and Ram splitters. I ended up buying a Troy Built (MTD) fron a local Lowes store. 27 ton with a 5.5 honda on it. For the price it was right for me. I would have had to pay shipping on the other brands I was looking at and were much more $$$. The troybuilt retails for $1500. Lowes sells it for $1299. Gave me 10% off for getting there credit card and just paid it off when the bill came and cut the card up. So far I have split about 16 cord with zero problems. Ripping thru logs so big I can barely roll to the splitter!!!!!!
The Huskee is also made by MTD for Tractor Supply Corp. I bought a 22 ton w/ a 6.5 hp B& S motor. Very pleased..paid $989

Bad E said:
The Huskee is also made by MTD for Tractor Supply Corp. I bought a 22 ton w/ a 6.5 hp B& S motor. Very pleased..paid $989

I think my Huskee is the same unit that yours is. Mine works great also. I've had it about four or five years. The only problem I've had with it was a stuck float in the carburetor and that was real easy to fix. I'm sure either one would work just fine and it would be just a matter of preferance.

One other factor I chose the Troy Built was that the ram lever is on the Opposite side from the engine. If I choose to use it in the horizontal position I did not want to have the engine in my way which many makes and models are made.

Bad E said:

I beg to differ, I have the same splitter, its made by SpeeCO, but anyways can someone tell me why they put a 5.5 hp consumer honda on the 27 T, and a 6.5 hp briggs on the 22 T? Also their 35 T is not even a true 35 T splitter, 12 hp, 16gal pump, 5" cylinder more like a 27 T splitter. I wore the control valve out on mine(split 46 cord so far) w/ 6 months left in the warranty, tsc better replace the C. valve! Also why do they lie about the tonnage? They are good splitters for what they are, just not a commercial splitter! I like the Rayco splitter 25 true tons of force, 13 hp honda industrial!

Well... here comes another can of worms, the B@S motors are actually over-rated, the Honda and Kawi motors are under-rated, that is one factor. All things equall the ram Dia. is the major factor in tonnage! But if they have to crank the pressure down on the B@S to make it work, that is the difference.
Andy

hmmm...I never knew that. b&s is the only american small engine, right?
god our country sucks anymore! hell the only thing we will make our selves before long is beer and hotdogs, and bacon! well the mexicans make the bacon, so i guess that don't count!

Back