Splitters...New Tractor Supply VS. Used Iron & Oak??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

802climber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking at getting an inexpensive splitter for non-commercial use. 10-15 cords per year of easy-to-split hardwoods.

Any thoughts on the Tractor Supply 22-ton model for $1000 or the 28-ton model for $1500 ?

I can also get a used (and been sitting) Iron & Oak 22-ton w/ Briggs engine for $1500. Runs, but has had some engine issues of some kind.

Advice would be much appreciated.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

If the IO is wedge on beam, non pivoting type, compared to the pivoting wedge on cylinder style from TSC, that might be a factor to consider and weigh.

The strongest argument for a higher end homeowner splitter would be that you could run a four way wedge or that it was a fast-cycle machine. But otherwise, it's really just money spent for style more than function most of the time.

I have a 6 year old 22 ton I&O with a 4 way on it. I've run over 500 cords through it and had to replace the control valve twice - only because the auto return stopped working. Other than that, it just hums away.

So what makes the I&O so much better? I wish it had the Honda engine like they do now.

I have used a couple I&O rental units and was not super impressed but I don't have much to spend on this right now,.

I & O are good splitters, same company made Brave splitters also. They have since been bought out by somebody else, is what I heard. The 22 ton at TSC is a good unit and should give you years of service with proper maintenance. Don't think I would spend the extra coin on the 28 ton, the ones I saw had the Honda GC engines, not the GX. 22 ton should be all you need.
Personally, not knowing how the I & O was maintained, and already having engine problems, I would stay away from it. JMO.

I have a husky 22ton and split about 10 cords a year. The only problems I have had were crappy champion spark plug and valve broke but it was still under warranty. I have no complaints works great for what I do. I would not but the 28 ton after owning the 22 ton.

TSC now has "Countyline" 22-ton splitter but I would think it is the same thing as "Huskee"......

Good deal. I think I will buy one this weekend. Do they have a good manufacturer's warranty or should I buy the Lowes protection plan (which kind of seems like bs) ?

Good deal. I think I will buy one this weekend. Do they have a good manufacturer's warranty or should I buy the Lowes protection plan (which kind of seems like bs) ?

Geez, don't know about the warranty at all, nor the if the sale is still on. The guys here said look online for a discount coupon for sure. And get the woodtable for it, I think that is a separate piece. good luck man!

edit: and grab some oil, engine ships dry!

Says "3 year limited warranty" on Lowes site..

Thanks for reminding me about the engine oil.

I have the 22 ton Huskee with a Briggs - It does what I need it to do fine. The newer Countylines have a Kohler engine which is a good thing. The 28 ton is more powerful, but cycles way slower. I like quick cycle time myself.

DHT 28 ton splitters are much faster.

The TSC and Dirty hand tool splitters are both good candidates for you. The smaller ones are lighter and easier to move around also. Check out the specs.

Iron and Oak is a very good brand. If it is only an engine problem, you could get a Predator cheap Honda clone at Harbor Freight and be back in business.

got dht from lowes a few weeks ago and pretty happy with it. mine had all fluids included. get the log table.

I bought a used I&O. Was in pretty much the same situation as you. Love the dern thing. Quick cycle time was the kicker. 22ton v more? eh. The thing goes through the elm just fine and I can split walnut all day long without stopping to rest. That was the big deal for me. I drag it everywhere and, it was the same price as the new units (pay cash).
I burn to heat the house with a woodstove and some hobby maple syrup production. Maybe 6 cord/year. But, it was worth every penny and has put up with being treated poorly and stored outside in a lean-to for the last 3 years.

I got a 27 ton DHT and it's been great so far. I've split quite a few mean and nasty chunks of hard maple, beech and standing dead elm that I would never have taken home without it.

You can't go wrong with a 22 ton huskee ( county line now ) best bang for your buck IMHO

Back