Fastest you destroyed a new chain!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After about 1/4 of a tank on a PS-5100S, I grazed a moss-covered rock, and "ground" off the chrome on the top of several cutters - no salvage for that chain (Oregon 73LGX-60). :sad4:

Last edited:
It is actually easy if you don't retighten after the first few cuts with a big saw. Chain stretches too much, and gets thrown in the cut. Sometimes the drives will get so damaged that it can't be used.

Luckily I have only done that once.

Rented a 066 once cause i had to remove a stump for a customer, had a brand new chain when I picked it up, no amount of grinding would have made that chain cut when I returned it. Had a mate once who used to hire a 460 for digging reticulation trenches in landscaping applications, the coates hire bloke used to hate him.....don't know why.....lol!!!

After about 1/4 of a tank on a PS-5100S, I grazed a moss-covered rock, and "ground" off the chrome on the top of several cutters - no salvage for that chain (Oregon 73LGX-60). :sad4:

done similar but not quite that bad. Have found star pickets, water pipes, horseshoes, bicycle parts, LOADS of bullets, a pair of fencing pliers, countless nails, ringlock, barbed wire and other fencing wire, and even bricks grown into trees. The bricks suck cause the metal detector I use now won't pick them up.

Toasted two in 2 cuts a few years back. The first chain was not completely unexpected, I was cutting a fenceline box elder when I hit something solid. I "knew" I'd hit a T-post, so I went up above post height with the new chain, and WHAM! I hit the same thing again, at 6' up.

At this point I'm thoroughly ticked off, so I get in the tractor bucket, cut the tree off at about 10' up, then hook the stump with the tractor and drag it over. After I burned the brushpile that log landed on, I found the culprit, a bent 8' long shaft, probably long ago pulled out of a piece of machinery, leaned against the tree, replaced and forgotten.

Several others mention barbed wire, I've had mixed success with it. One time it will trash the chain fairly well, the next I won't even notice I've cut through it until after the cut.

My Dad was cutting a city Tree in Elkhart IN It was this huuugeee walnut! He was just bucking off the end with his 075 and WHAM, it woudlnt cut at all took the saw out of the cut and there wasnt any teeth left on the saw. Turns out there was a cannonball in the middle of this crotch! :dizzy:

My Dad was cutting a city Tree in Elkhart IN It was this huuugeee walnut! He was just bucking off the end with his 075 and WHAM, it woudlnt cut at all took the saw out of the cut and there wasnt any teeth left on the saw. Turns out there was a cannonball in the middle of this crotch! :dizzy:

That story is cool as hell..... When was the last time someone was firing off cannon balls? In Indiana? wow!!!!

Its rather hard to cut threw an old musket that an oak tree has grown around. When it was younger I suppose the crotch was a very good place to hide it/stash it? Yep. Toasted a few chains.

Brand new 24" b/c. Was cutting in a pile that the excavator cleaned up from taken down part of a grove. Cuttin through some ash and apperantly on the bottom side of the ash out of site was a metal t post that was stuck on the surface of the wood. I had my pickup and trailor full and was just trying to top it off. Said iam done. Had to buy a new chain, no saving it.

'Bout one second into the first cut on a blowdown behind a firing range, I hit a bullet, which tore all of the left-hand cutters off back to behind the witness mark. D'OH! I keep the chain around as a reminder. I'd post a pic but I'm on the wrong side of the country to take one at the moment.

I have killed a chain within minutes of starting. It is going to happen sooner or later if you cut enough.

One thing that surprises me though - it sounds like a bunch of you guys don't carry spare loops with you? Really? I always have at least 1 and usually 2 spare loops, a spare bar, bar nuts, pull ropes etc. It all goes in a kit bag so I don't have to remember to grab the stuff.

In fact I typically carry a second saw as well to deal with demon possessed trees that pinch or crush my primary saw.

When I am on a cutting mission, I mean to cut dang it!

The quickest I ever destroyed a new chain...........Hmmmm, I believe it would be when I was experimenting on some .404 for my bike saw.
I had about 20 or so hours of filing invested in the chain and decided to put it on the saw and try it before I went any farther.
Started the saw, hit the trigger, and the chain dissapeared. :msp_scared:
I found 11 pieces of that 88 DL chain. The biggest piece was over 100 feet from the saw.

Andy

I smoked a new 28" chain on my new 28" bar after 3 cuts in a 30" oak. I let the tip of the bar tip the ground on the third cut. Didn't realize it untile the fourth cut when the b&c just set on top of the log.

I hit a 16" saw chain in center of a 30" maple . Bad part i trimmed a cherry tree next to it back in 66 and hit wire fence and i think i left it laying their .

I hit a 16" saw chain in center of a 30" maple . Bad part i trimmed a cherry tree next to it back in 66 and hit wire fence and i think i left it laying their .

OOOHHH...no injury hurts as much as self injury.

Call me impressed though. Ya remembered pruning the Cherry with wire in it....just late. I'd a been cussing the moron that left the chain and never thought about it. LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Got a job cutting out beatle kill in a small stand of doug fir, I had just put a fresh 28" loop on the old 2100, and was gonna buck one up we had down from the day before. I didn't make it maybe 4" and cutters, went flying. I guess back in the Sheep Herding days that area was a camp spot they left a cast iron frying pan nailed up to a tree. Strangest thing I ever hit in a tree, although I too hold a deep hate for T Posts.

I have killed a chain within minutes of starting. It is going to happen sooner or later if you cut enough.

One thing that surprises me though - it sounds like a bunch of you guys don't carry spare loops with you? Really? I always have at least 1 and usually 2 spare loops, a spare bar, bar nuts, pull ropes etc. It all goes in a kit bag so I don't have to remember to grab the stuff.

In fact I typically carry a second saw as well to deal with demon possessed trees that pinch or crush my primary saw.

When I am on a cutting mission, I mean to cut dang it!

I destroyed a new 3/8 .50 oregon husky 20" chain once, must've had a factory defect. Spun it up and the second it touch bark a rivet failed and it just sat spining on the sprocket. Sooo 0 seconds???

I keep a 18" bar 2 18" chains a 20" bar and 2 20" chains with my 353

I destroyed a new 28" Stihl skip chain in about 30 seconds last year, we had a big oak removal and i was blocking down big chunks and i guess at one time it split where i was cutting and someone put a big 3/4" eye bolt through it to brace it and never took it out so the tree healed and grew around it and i found it with a brand new chain. The homeowner says..."oh yeah i forgot that was there its been there about 30 years."

I had an employee install a new 84dl loop of Oregon chain onto one of my 372xp's and as he walked away from the truck going past the skidder he drop started it and as it swung out it hit the skidder breaking off 3 cutters. it never touched wood before being trashed.

Latest posts

Back