favorite tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

formationrx

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
hope you all had a good day out there today.... here is an easy question for you ..... i'm just curious about this....

whats your favorite tree? and why?.. whether its easy to work in or just nice to look at.... everyone should have one... especially a tree guy....
i really like two trees in particular.... the atlas cedar... not the blue... but the bright green one... what a beautiful tree.... when they are maintained right they are awesome....
the hanoki cypress is my other favorite.... they are lush and have a great color and they make a wonderful screen tree...

Last edited:
Beech ..... Love to look at them , haven't removed more then 10 in my short career and if I have my way I hope I never have to remove another in my life , I like them that much , I really really like the weeping ornamental beech as well

Why that's easy... The Money tree of course... Why? Because my mother always told me it did not exist! :hmm3grin2orange:

Really, the Beech tree is one of my favorites as well. Love them for their beauty. I have removed less than 10 of them. My first really big removal was a Beech though. And it dam near took me out. Other than that, the Redwood. Unbelievably awesome when you see a really big one up close and personal. Kinda got the same feeling as I did when i saw my first moose up close.

dawn redwood. i absolutely love them things. you can walk right up to the top in one hand over hand if you just feel like walking up one. and the buttress.... beautiful trees.

mature white oaks for their broad spread and twisting growth. golf course pines always surprise me weight-wise.

i love mature sugar maples....

hate the tree of heaven because they suck and blue spruce for the fight they put up when you in them.

Last edited:
dawn redwood. i absokutely love them things. you can walk right up to the top in one hand over hand if you just feel like walking up one. and the buttress.... beautiful trees.

mature white oaks for their broad spread and twisting growth. golf course pines always surprise me weight-wise.

i love mature sugar maples....

hate the tree of heaven because they suck and blue spruce for the fight they put up when you in them.

That odd I would have taken any bet that your favorite tree would be a Mulberry cause of the white sticky milk that pumps out of them that you no doubt get on your chin :laugh:

Flowering Dogwood is my favorite. The branch structure is appealing year round. Mature white oaks would be second.

Ftr - I don't like beech trees.

225856d1330125990-back-lots-009-jpg

Last edited:
American Chestnut is another favorite of mine because they are so rare to see now. I remember my grandfather pointing one out to me when I was a kid and telling me how there were so many of them in the woods he grew up in; before they were wiped out by the blight.

Here's a pic of one growing in my town that another member here shared with me a few years back:

chestnut.jpg

And here's an old time pic to show an example of how mammoth they could grow to be:

chstnt-1.gif

Why that's easy... The Money tree of course... Why? Because my mother always told me it did not exist! :hmm3grin2orange:

Really, the Beech tree is one of my favorites as well. Love them for their beauty. I have removed less than 10 of them. My first really big removal was a Beech though. And it dam near took me out. Other than that, the Redwood. Unbelievably awesome when you see a really big one up close and personal. Kinda got the same feeling as I did when i saw my first moose up close.

check out HYPERION!!! ... this redwood was discovered in 2006.... you tube : Climbing the World's Tallest Tree..... 379 ft!!

Ornimentel- stewartia psedocumellia nice exfoliating bark and not many in these parts.

Climbing- large copper beach. Love the atmosphere feeling

Pruning- pin oak. Pain to get the branches to the ground but like the finished product.

My favorite tree, the last one I got paid to climb and cut... only to be beat out by the next tree I get paid to climb and cut.

All joking aside probably a well shaped white oak or a healthy sycamore.

For climbing and for firewood, Red Oak.

Love the Dawn Redwoods, have three planted at my house. The Japanese Umbrella Pine is pretty sweet too.

Hell, I pretty much like all trees except for Hawthorne.

To hard to pick one but i really like honey locust, white oak a close second.

Pin oaks look great after i get done with them

Flowering Cherry trees a nice tree as well. Not the weeping ones

A mature white oak is generally a thing of beauty for sure. I have always liked American Elm. i also like Sycamore and London Plane tree. Mostly cuz they remind me of playing as a kid with my buddies down along the Vermilion river which ran through the woods behind our house.

Back