Favorite wire-core lanyard?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeandLand

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been using a wire-core lanyard for the past 3 years that I think is made by "Climb Rite" ...it's orange, 1/2", from Baiyle's catalog.
I like the way the wire rope grips the tree, but I wish the cammed hip adjustment was smoother....it would save my elbow some wear and tear. Any suggestions?

I run a Yale wire core with a Distel and pulley for the adjuster. I like that it adjusts super smooth. Especially adjusting out under load. I used a ClimbRite once and the flipline itself was fine, I just dislike Micrograb syle adjusters.

I've been using the climbright flip cord for several years now. It has worked just fine for me. There are better options than the micrograb for adjustment but I have become accustomed to using mine. I also have a homemade rope lanyard that I use a hip prussic for adjustment.

I use a climbright flip cord when climbing with the crane, been about 3 years now and haven't had issues with it since the first month when i wasn't used to it, I always used a buckstrap before that.

I don't use it for pruning or other removals, i have a 20' homebrewed lanyard with prussic for that.

I like the way the wire rope grips the tree, but I wish the cammed hip adjustment was smoother....it would save my elbow some wear and tear. Any suggestions?

Give a hitch a try as an adjuster. Works real well. I see the ART positioner has a cam available that will work on a wire core, but that gets pretty spendy.

I run a Yale wire core with a Distel and pulley for the adjuster. I like that it adjusts super smooth. Especially adjusting out under load. I used a ClimbRite once and the flipline itself was fine, I just dislike Micrograb syle adjusters.

Is the flipline a 1/2 inch? What diameter line do you use for your Distel...8 or 10mm? I think I should give this a try. My only concern is that a friction hitch could be cut with the saw. There's always a trade off i guess.

IMO a wire-core flip-line shouldn't be used with a rope style prusik since, as Treeandland stated, you could cut the hitch. If a wire-core is needed I would stick with a mechanical adjuster and keep the entire system metallic. I use an ART Positioner on my regular flip-line and love it. Never tried it on the wire-core though.

IMO a wire-core flip-line shouldn't be used with a rope style prusik since, as Treeandland stated, you could cut the hitch. If a wire-core is needed I would stick with a mechanical adjuster and keep the entire system metallic. I use an ART Positioner on my regular flip-line and love it. Never tried it on the wire-core though.

IMO the advantage of the wire-core is flip-ability. I see your point about an all metal connection though. The flip side I suppose is that a soft connection at some point would make getting cut out easier in the event of a rescue. My Maxi-FLIP is 1/2in. and I use some Sta-Set as an adjuster. 3/8 or 7/16 maybe? Been awhile since I bought my stash.

RacerX, what kind of adjuster do you use with your wire-core flip-line? I was hoping that the Rock Exotica rope grab would work with mine, but it turns out that a 1/2 wire-core is too fat for it to work smoothly. It does work great on a rope flipline though.

RacerX, what kind of adjuster do you use with your wire-core flip-line? I was hoping that the Rock Exotica rope grab would work with mine, but it turns out that a 1/2 wire-core is too fat for it to work smoothly. It does work great on a rope flipline though.

I've been using this mechanical adjuster on the wire-core. The photo is with the adjuster on an old stable braid flip-line.

As mentioned, I now use an ART Positioner on my rope style flip lines.
_DSC0138.JPG

I hate wire core, I just use a good section of an old climb line for most of my lanyards. The only thing you need a steel core is if you are gaffing up monster trunks that a rope does not cotton to.

I've been using this mechanical adjuster on the wire-core. The photo is with the adjuster on an old stable braid flip-line.

As mentioned, I now use an ART Positioner on my rope style flip lines.
_DSC0138.JPG

That adjuster looks just like the one that I use. Do you know what brand it is? It isn't the smoothest to adjust, but I will need another one eventually.
It looks like an improvement to have the added shackle through the cam, to change the angle like you did.

That adjuster looks just like the one that I use. Do you know what brand it is? It isn't the smoothest to adjust, but I will need another one eventually.
It looks like an improvement to have the added shackle through the cam, to change the angle like you did.

That adjuster is made by US Standard. Yes the twisted shackle puts the adjuster in a more natural position. Someone (I think Buckingham) finally figured this out and they now make the attachment point hole rotated 90°.

That adjuster is made by US Standard. Yes the twisted shackle puts the adjuster in a more natural position. Someone (I think Buckingham) finally figured this out and they now make the attachment point hole rotated 90°.

Rock Exotica also has a rope grap with the attachment rotated 90 degrees. I use a carabiner with a swivel to attach my flip line to avoid this problem with my Ropewalker.

I'm buying an ART positioner to go with my new SpiderJack, my LockJack has been a such a great device for the past few years that I decided to try out the SpiderJack, I love it after a week of use and won't be using the LockJack or my Unicender much now.

1/2" Yale MaxiFlip and Gibbs

or, my lighter option:

1/2" static line and Petzl Microcender

Anybody on here use the "flipline hitch" aka "high rigger's hitch" with a wire core flipline? Straight to the D-ring...(Instead of a friction hitch, prusik, or mechanical adjuster)

Last edited:
Is the flipline a 1/2 inch? What diameter line do you use for your Distel...8 or 10mm? I think I should give this a try. My only concern is that a friction hitch could be cut with the saw. There's always a trade off i guess.

There are videos on youtube of wirecore lanyards being cut through with a chainsaw.

1/2" Yale MaxiFlip and Gibbs

or, my lighter option:

1/2" static line and Petzl Microcender

Anybody on here use the "flipline hitch" aka "high rigger's hitch" with a wire core flipline? Straight to the D-ring...(Instead of a friction hitch, prusik, or mechanical adjuster)

Never heard of "flipline hitch" or "high riggers hitch". What kind of hitch are we talking about? Does it resemble a prusic......do you have a picture?

I am using a maxi flip "sport" with a rock exotica adjuster. It is ok. I honestly dont care for the 90 twist on the adjuster. The twist lock gate on the maxi sport I have is high on piece of mind but alittle low on fast clip in. IMO a wire core is more or less HANDSAW proof-ish but chainsaw??? Idk bout that....The main reason I went to wire core is stiffness. The second reason is that i am certian that my silky could slice a half inch lanyard like its nothin. Or atleast cut it far enough that it could fail. I am not interested in my second TIP coming into play.

Latest posts

Back