Fear of height

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremetrees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How many of us have fear of height. I do, i have to constantly overcome it.
Anyone jumping on ropes? Fall factor 12 ropes?

Yeah KC, the air must be pretty thin up there!

I've always loved getting high, altitudinally speaking. The best cure for acrophobia is sky-diving; give it a try, xtreme, it's bound to give you a whole new perspective on climbing high.

Interesting, one reason I've always climbed trees is to help me overcome my fear of heights...I thought I was the only one, another reason I haven't gotten serious about working in the industry, I thought no one here would be the least bit afraid of heights.

dakota said:
What does this mean?

There's no such thing as a fall factor 12 rope. But there are dynamic rock climb lines that are tested and rated to withstand about that number of "fall factor" 2 falls. That's prolly what xtremetrees meant to say

Rock ropes are so dynamic that they are similar to bungee cord.

Here's a good article that came up in a "fall factor" google search.
http://www.camp4.com/rock/index.php?newsid=231

Height and falling does not bother me that much, now stopping and impact are 2 words that scare the living sh#t out of me. :biggrinbounce2:

Deathly afraid of hieghts, but love bieng in a tree, go figure!!!! Always have to look for those "de-acceleration points" also:buttkick:
Andy

It's not the heights that cause a problem.... it's the bumps during, or the sudden stop after the fall that gets ya.
try to not concentrate on the height. know how secure you are, and concentrate on whats "is going" to happen. not "what would happen if".
know what you have, then check it again.
I have several plane jumps under my belt... no matter... that's a different world. that does'nt mean we can't cut a rope, or a limb will hold.
While I can pick up a rattle snake, copperhead, rat, roach, etc., I scream like a little girl from a spider surprise.
I caught a huge wolfspider one day thinking I could overcome my phobia by feeding and watching it in an aquarium for a few weeks. that definately did not help.
I've learned that so long as I can see it, or if I'm in a real bad pinch ,I'll deal with it in a relative way... but oohh maaan the close calls in a tree and driving down the road.
Took years to get some control.
I still don't like surprises at all.

I believe it is good to have a little fear. It makes you respect heights. You don't want to become complacement, and have the big WHOOPS.

I guess you could call it a fear. A required fear to keep your mide sharp and aware. It is un natural, like being under water. A bit uncomfortable feeling first climb of the day. Once I'm in the zone, adrenaline harnessed, feeling is good. Feel stronger than normal kinda buzzed.

Anybody try sleeping on one of those hanging platforms? Was wondering if it might help with getting compfortable off the ground. Thinking about getting one and startin in the yard not too high up to get used to it. That would be a fun new way to go camping, tree camping. No flat ground needed, sick views.

Some great suggestions
I weight 175 lbs. I figure I can fall 5 feet on a 5000w/bs rope.
175lbs accelerating @ 10mph per foot fall =
Im trying to justify a new portawrap. hahaha dont try this at home.

i find the hardest part about working at height, especially when longdrop rappelling a high cliff or a build, is getting over the edge. Once i'm in position and suspended on the rope, all is well.

Just read a interesting tidbit....the average person starts to experience fear or panic at around 30 feet off the ground.

rbtree said:
There's no such thing as a fall factor 12 rope. But there are dynamic rock climb lines that are tested and rated to withstand about that number of "fall factor" 2 falls. That's prolly what xtremetrees meant to say

Rock ropes are so dynamic that they are similar to bungee cord.

Here's a good article that came up in a "fall factor" google search.
http://www.camp4.com/rock/index.php?newsid=231

Thanks rb.

SRT-Tech said:
Just read a interesting tidbit....the average person starts to experience fear or panic at around 30 feet off the ground.

Which is why mock towers at Airborne Schools are 34 feet of the ground. Jumping out of that was worse than the actual aircraft exits at 1000 feet and 130 mph.

I have a healthy respect for heights having jumped out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft about 800 times in my misguided youth. Never grew up yet I guess.

Combined with an apppreciation for gravity, excellent equipment and comprehensive training and most, though not all, people can overcome their fears and function at heights that would kill them otherwise.

I do have a healthy respect for heights... I'm climbing pretty high trees 150feet+...., especially if we have to spiral prune the tree you get pretty high up there...figure i've been close to 200'.... sometimes some days you just get sketched out...especially if there's a sudden movement from gaffing out ropes/gear shifting suddenly...once i'm up in the limbs it doesn't seem so bad... we grapple from tree to tree and sometimes you can get stuck in 'no man's land' not close enough to get hold of the tree...you gotta footlock up your "claw line" (grapple) which feels sketchy cuz if it pops off you're getting shot back to the tree you came from (where you're tied into) ...tree stems aren't too forgiving and you hope all your limbs are cut flush... and once you get sketched you burn alot of energy... I find singing and whistling kinda relaxing

^ off topic>>>>>>, sorry but i did some training on a tower like Jumper is talking about. (not jumping, but belaying). The instructor was teaching us all about the shock loads that can occur when a climber (rock/rescue) falls and the belayer locks off the rope/belayer device.

the instructor had us stand about 20 feet back from the top of the tower, with a harness, belay device and rope on us. He then climbed up to the top of the tower and threw off a weight (bucket of concrete, around 200LBS). The weight of course was tied into the rope.

you learn VERY quickly to: A) anchor yourself to something solid, B) wear gloves, C) anchor yourself to something solid, D) lean back when locking off (rope wacks you in the face!). E) correct belay technique.

you gain a very respect for safety after a session like that.

BTW, the instructor also used one of us as a climber, so we could feel what its like to fall and be belayed. The climber expereinces a nice cushy fall with little jarring, whereas the belayer gets to feel all the load.

Last edited:
Interesting tidbit about the 30 feet thing, I think that's when we know it would be "SPLAT!" if we hit the ground. About the highest I've ever been in a tree is 40 or 50 feet to the first branch in a laurel oak(dead). I was stupid in those days, now I would either climb that tree with spurs or leave it to a real arborist, or flop it in one piece.

Latest posts

Back