Felling dead black cherry trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awdriven

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been lurking the site for a couple weeks - the emphasis on skill and safety here is amazing. It's a great resource.

I recently moved into a new house and have about 15 dead black cherry trees that need to be taken down.

About 1/2 of them, I wouldn't want to touch. They're close to my neighbors property, fences, etc. I'm getting quotes to have those taken down by pros.

The other 1/2 are near the center of my property, aren't very tall and I feel like I might be able to fell them safely myself.

I've downed some smaller trees in better shape - these are a bit taller and as you can see by the pictures, very dead.

I wanted to post some pictures and get your thoughts on safety, technique, appropriate tools, etc.

Given their condition, I don't think they are candidates for climbing, even for a pro - are they?

I am thinking about setting a pull line and then felling them under some rope tension to guide them the right direction.

I have a whole gallery of pictures here -

http://www.awdriven.net/tree-gallery/

HL4B0013.jpg

Welcome, aw.

Use common sense and listen to your gut instincts. Start with the first one that can be dumped with the lean and work around from there - try and plan it out so you don't get overwhelmed and can flop as many as possible w/o getting too fancy.

If feel you have to set a rope to pull one over, don't be shy. Taking a bit of time to set a rope is well worth it.

Be careful on that two stemmer in the middle of the picture. Judging by the picture, I'd pick the stem that can fall w/o getting tangled, put a rope in it and drop it one stem at a time. That means plunging your back cut. If you're not comfortable doing that, then don't - hire someone.

Other than that, good luck. Take your time, sharp chain, safety stuff on eyes, ears, head, etc. Watch out for falling hangers and have good escape routes.

Thanks guys - What is the best way to set a rope up if there are no conveniently or appropriately placed branches or stubs?

Also, looking at the size of these, what size saw is appropriate?

I'll be watching and having someone spot those dry branches for me.

Hi Driven!

Are you anywhere near Trenton?

If so I would be glad to come by and drop these in return for the wood.

Lots of good cooking standing there.;)

Thanks for the offer of the help - really generous!

At the very least, if I do down them myself - I have no fireplace. If you want the wood I would give it away.

No need to climb them. Looks like most of them have plenty of room. Just take your time, make sure you know how to notch and backcut, and just have fun. Also be careful pulling on some of these if you put a rope in them-pull too hard and they might snap off somewhere you are not expecting. Sometimes what works good is make your notch and backcut (leaving a hinge of course) then just stand back with a polesaw and a couple of sections and gently push the tree over.

Back