Felling my 1st Big Ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Westboast, was that English? Sounds great but in the end I had no idea what you were saying. To bad cause I was interested. :dizzy:
I apologise, I was fighting to finish it,tired I was.
I did reword a few of my points and they may not be as confusing.
If its some of the terminology that also is throwing 'you'? and you truly are interested? then 'you' are welcome to ask.

Mighty fine advice...since there is no rush on this...I'm gonna take my time and get out and snap some pics and post em on here as well.
Thanks Again

Since you have plenty of time I would strongly suggest you use an adequate bar length for the job so you can do all your cuts from the 'safe' side.

I once watched the Leaning tree fall and didn't notice the trunk had split, I took about 5 steps back, then a 2 ton log squashed me like a bug and knocked me out (No S**t). Next thing I remember was my boss waking me up. My back from my Butt crack to my neck tuned Black & Blue, Nothing broken, didn't even really hurt, cause I don't remember it. I remember watching the canopy hit the ground then him waking me up.... I don't do leaners anymore... :)

Plunge cut (or boring cut) and leave the final holding wood to cut last.

Why the downward angle cut on the trigger. I do a lot of bore cut but have always triggered parallel in to the bore.
Keep in mind I know nothing and have been known to do things wrong for years with out ever realizing it.
Is the downward angle trigger safer?

I don't like bore cuts, and I really don't like the way he did that. I can't remember the last time I cut down something that small. Sometimes using a small tree as a demo doesn't do justification the the process. I was on my friends farm yesterday and today cutting dead standing Oaks for firewood. I was using my 660 with the 25" bar. Watching the video all I could imagine with his back/trigger cut is my brand new $1200 660 smashing all my teeth out and driving my nose back into my brain. I know uncle m posted that to show how a bore cut is done. I personally don't like them, Joe.

I think he was just doing it on that small tree for demonstration purposes.

I agree with the backcut being below the bore cut, but I've never actually done such a cut myself - I only did some studying on my own and I listen to the guys around here argue about it.

I think he was just doing it on that small tree for demonstration purposes.

I agree with the backcut being below the bore cut, but I've never actually done such a cut myself - I only did some studying on my own and I listen to the guys around here argue about it.

Thanks for all of your participation, you ARE one of the guys I pay attention too. A lot of guys swear by that cut. It's just that after growing up in the tree business and climbing for 40 years, I don't like it, it scares me, Joe.

Back