Felling Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone got a pic or diagram of a humbolt with a snipe?

This is probably the best one I have:

fallingwithcody38.jpg

+1 !

good explanation also, but I still have difficulty to understand the purpose of the snipe. Once the tree goes over and the normal face is closed, the hinge will snap quickly. What does the snipe really do ? make the tree jump ?:confused:

Yep. It will snap the hinge quickly and you can also direct your snipe cut in the direction of a swing to get it jumping more in that direction. It looks a little like he is doing that in the pic. The snipe is pointing a little more to his left. I used one yesterday with a walking dutchman. Dead elm was shaped like a question mark and leaning toward a cherry. Got the butt to walk around the stump and around the cherry to the hole where I wanted it.

.. Snipes are handy when on steepish ground when you want a little help keeing the top up the hill and the bottom too slip down the hill where the tree will lay more level so it can be limbed and bucked safely and so your timber lays along the hill or draw instead of up and down the hill ...........Cody cut for the helicopters so he didn,t have the luxury of being an Alaskan ( AIR SCALER )
..... He had to be able to limb and buck and do a real good job with his wood ....
. Bushlin for a yarder , tho any half decent cutter makes sure his bucks will clean off if at all possible , We didn,t need to be as intense on shining up the logs ...Thats why the chaser has a saw on the landing !!!!.

just listening to you guys talk make me want to go out and drop some timber.....

KNOCK IT OFF.....LOL:clap::dizzy:

KNOCK IT OFF.....LOL:clap::dizzy:

Thats , ( FALL) some timber !! It,s a west coast thing ......:):).
. But really , but really . you don,t want to drop timber , it might break !!!!!! Fall it , that way when it lands on the ground it lays out where you purposly put it ....
. I know ,I,m a prik , and don,t get mad , but thats the difference between the 2 areas ... We DROP a tree that has thousands of dollars of saw timber in it and bust it all to ----. and we are down the road with no prospects of future work . If we Fall it ...ie , purposly place it in the best lay we can find for it .. Save it out , maximize the logs in the tree . don,t get hurt , and get ALOT done ...... All we need is our name to get future work ... And we live longer ............. It has to do with the purposeness and safety of gettin em on the ground ...

I HARVEST mostly firewood so if it breaks its not a huge deal

but I do try to keep it in one piece if possible just to make it easier to cut up. I figure harvest will be more acceptable to you. LOL:dizzy:

No , it,s cool , but that is the point of falling .... Thats why Fallers arn,t loggers ... We make logs .. we don,t move them ......
. With what I,m doing right now I,m the chief cook and bottle washer so I have to do it all ...
. Just say you are going to fall them ... It will put you in a better mind set ..

.. Snipes are handy when on steepish ground when you want a little help keeing the top up the hill and the bottom too slip down the hill where the tree will lay more level so it can be limbed and bucked safely and so your timber lays along the hill or draw instead of up and down the hill ...........Cody cut for the helicopters so he didn,t have the luxury of being an Alaskan ( AIR SCALER )
..... He had to be able to limb and buck and do a real good job with his wood ....
. Bushlin for a yarder , tho any half decent cutter makes sure his bucks will clean off if at all possible , We didn,t need to be as intense on shining up the logs ...Thats why the chaser has a saw on the landing !!!!.

You pretty much nailed er tramp. Although I was Falling for a yarder on that job, they wanted us to limb 3 sides, but the reason I put the snipe on that tree was because it was on a little bluff and I wanted to kick the butt where the snipe was gunned in order to steer it into a little v-notch that was below me, and in effect try to save out the tree a little more. Those Sitka spruce will take some nasty ground but in this unit they were fairly tall, and unfortunately I broke a few :cry:

Here is a good example of one that I broke. I have used a few of these pics in other threads so some of them might be redundant...sorry

Undercutting:

fallingwithcody5.jpg

Timber!!!!:

fallingwithcody9-1.jpg

Although you can't see it in the pic, I had to fall this one across a couple of fairly steep V-notches and she broke, at least closer to the top...I did my best!

fallingwithcody11.jpg

I think this is the redundant pic, but it shows one of the v-notches fairly well:

fallingwithcody23.jpg

And, although I hate showing broken timber, here are the spoils of that rough ground...buckin out the break...I think the best thing I like about this pic is it shows my Kuliens!

fallingwithcody14.jpg

fallingwithcody16.jpg

There she is! Hope nobody gets sick of my long posts :dizzy:

Oh the horrors! The people on the chainsaw forum would be horrified to see one handed sawing. Oh well, your pictures are from the real world. :clap:

How big is the devil's club up thar? I heared it was big enough to saw boards out of. Otherwise, if you put Doug-fir instead of the spruce, it looks like the ground here.

Thanks for digging up those pictures. I'm one of those dense people who have to see things along with the explanation. Maybe I'll use that method in some of the road alder--sometimes they're 3 inches in diameter!:)

Last edited:
.. No Cody , I NEVER , EVER !!!! get tired of your pics ...!!!!!!!
. You held that spruce a little too high on the hill .. I know why you did it and I might have too ...
. Thats the problem with this Southeast timber . If you hold it up the hill so it is nice to limb and buck , it will break half way up because of the short lays and the sudden stop .. If you run them 10 - 15 degrees below horizontal to the hill you can push the break into the tops , but then you got to crawl down to them and then climb back up when your done buckin ... You pushed the break up the tree a good ways .... If people on here will really look at the entire pic they can begin to see why we are so spastic ,( or at least I am ) ..................And how much hard work it is , just getting to the stump , and to every stump ......Also why it's so important to hit your lay and to have picked a good one ..

Those are some badass pics Cody! You guys are in a different league out there. Man that looks like a lotta fun!

My last post may have read wrong , I,m not 2 nd guessing what Cody did ... But if you run em a little down the hill most of the time the top gets munched ... But with the V notches he had to deal with the lay he picked was still a good one .. I've prolly broke more timber than he has ......

.. If people on here will really look at the entire pic they can begin to see why we are so spastic ,( or at least I am ) ..................And how much hard work it is , just getting to the stump , and to every stump ......Also why it's so important to hit your lay and to have picked a good one ..

I don't have near that kinda ground around here so I can't answer to that, but I agree with how important it is to hit your lay. You can avoid some real PITA situations by thinking it through and doing it right. Over in the saw forum some guy posted pics of a stump he made in his backyard and several of the guys where commenting on "not to let the stump snobs get to him." Theres a reason for what happens with a tree and a stump that tells the story. Something to learn from and think about, how the tree reacted to what you did to it and then using that and being able to manipulate what the next tree does by what you do to it. Applied knowledge. Thats how I learned and still do. Good stuff guys! I'm always learning on here! I don't think you can ever stop learning when it comes to fellin trees.

Thats why it falling timber is so captivating for me. I think that is part of it for most guys.

Trees are like snow flakes, no two are the same. & when you are working with variety like that, you know you will continue to experience new & different things with every tree for years & years. We need a big timber industry revolution, find out how to make trees grow 10 times faster so we can all do what we love & not have to spend so much time on the computer wishing we where in the kirf of some 250 foot hammer...

Oh the horrors! The people on the chainsaw forum would be horrified to see one handed sawing. Oh well, your pictures are from the real world. :clap:

How big is the devil's club up thar? I heared it was big enough to saw boards out of. Otherwise, if you put Doug-fir instead of the spruce, it looks like the ground here.

Thanks for digging up those pictures. I'm one of those dense people who have to see things along with the explanation. Maybe I'll use that method in some of the road alder--sometimes they're 3 inches in diameter!:)

Biggest, Nastiest Devils club I ever ran across! I hate that stuff!(of course not as bad as poison oak though).

Latest posts

Back