Felling saw...best size?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
best all around felling saw in New England.............

would have be a 372xp with a 24" bar and chain.

I personally like the 460, some feel it is too heavy though which I understand. I like the practical bar range it can handle though. Depends on the application. If I was doing more urban tree work, I would stick with the 360 series.

If you want an actual felling saw i suggest you pick up a bar at least 32 inches long...lol. 372 xp would be ok i guess, you should get a 066 though.

I have used mostly the husky 365 with a 24" bar. I love it. Im not the most experienced, but it works well for me, both felling and limbing and bucking. I got so comfortable with it in just a few months, I don't want to have to use any other saw. Im still learning a lot, and I think its a great saw to learn with.

I liked my 441 when I had it. I prefer the 044 I have now. However, for the price range and displacement you asked about the 361. As has been mentioned, it pulls a 20" bar and chain no problem. Dandy mid range saw.

Best all around for me is a 460 with a 28" bar. Opinions are like A-holes though. Note: I'm only on a 13 saw plan, lol.

Last edited:
I just bought a MS 362 with a 20" bar for $665. I took it out cutting for a few hours yesterday and I am in love. At first I wanted the MS 260Pro because it was so light, but some guys on here convinced me to go with a 362. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I don't notice the extra weight when I am cutting, but I sure do notice the extra power! That saw cuts through 20" wood like butter. I felled a few trees with it and I couldn't believe how fast it cut through them. The saw had enough power to pull the bar into the tree when I was cutting a felling notch so that I didn't have to push or pull the saw really hard as I was cutting. The 362 weighs 13lbs, which I think is pretty reasonable for a saw that has 4.6hp. The saw is exceptionally well-balanced. I am sure the XP saws are excellent as well, but I can only speak for the Stihl. I will be writing a full review after I get some more cutting time in with the saw and get the opportunity to try some different chains.

I just bought a MS 362 with a 20" bar for $665. I took it out cutting for a few hours yesterday and I am in love. At first I wanted the MS 260Pro because it was so light, but some guys on here convinced me to go with a 362. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I don't notice the extra weight when I am cutting, but I sure do notice the extra power! That saw cuts through 20" wood like butter. I felled a few trees with it and I couldn't believe how fast it cut through them. The saw had enough power to pull the bar into the tree when I was cutting a felling notch so that I didn't have to push or pull the saw really hard as I was cutting. The 362 weighs 13lbs, which I think is pretty reasonable for a saw that has 4.6hp. The saw is exceptionally well-balanced. I am sure the XP saws are excellent as well, but I can only speak for the Stihl. I will be writing a full review after I get some more cutting time in with the saw and get the opportunity to try some different chains.

What is wrong with you guys buying these saws with a 20" bar? MS200T does that, is it the money?
Jeff

What is wrong with you guys buying these saws with a 20" bar? MS200T does that, is it the money?
Jeff

Sure the 200 will pull a 20" bar but it is used for a different application than the ground saw. Who says you have to have one saw for everything??? I have multiple saws for multiple applications. I don't have the 362 but I do have a 361 and love it. I run mine with a 20" bar as well. I've got a 192 with a 14" bar, a 200 with a 14" bar, a 260 with a 16" bar, 361 with a 20" bar and an 044 with a 25" bar and a 36" bar when I need it. I've got a saw for every situation and cover just about all the work I do where I'm at. I could use a 100cc class saw for stumping. I priced a 660 yesterday at a thousand but I am kind of waiting on a friend that is building a Husky 395. I am planning on buying that one when he gets it built.

Why would I buy a a 59cc/4.6hp saw instead of a 35cc/2.1hp saw to run a 20" bar? Are you kidding me? I would like to have a 200T for situations where I need a super-light saw, but I am not about to put a 20" bar on it. I could probably get away with towing a cord of wood with my honda civic... if I went 10mph downhill with the wind at my back. This guy wants a saw for felling trees, not for trimming hedges.

Latest posts

Back