Fertilizing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ash tends to raise soil pH when applied (makes soil less acidic). Most pines prefer a slightly acid soil pH, not sure about cedar. Ash is mostly composed of micro nutrients - plants use these in small amounts compared to N, P, and K - too because it's the unburned mineral portions of the wood. There is probably some P2O5 (fertilizer form of P) in there too. Nitrogen is lost during the burning process. I would save the ash for the vegetable garden (or the lawn if gardening isn't your thing), it will do more good there.

Thanks Hokie. I usually just sling my ashes across the lawn but was thinking they may do more good if put around some of these young trees. I suppose it can't harm them if the N is gone. We have an extremely acid soil here.

Don, You might want to take some soil samples by your plantings and have them analyzed by your university extension. That way you will know what is needed for fertilizer. Maybe you will be surprised and no fertilizer is needed.

Brian

Brian,

I've learned though soil testing that every place on my land has slightly different nutrient needs but one thing is common. My soil always wants mass quantities of lime. I've also learned that my water is so acidic I have to run it though a neutralizer or it eats my copper pipes. I learned about that part the hard way back in 1999.

Thanks,
Don

Latest posts

Back