Few pics of small firewood operation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigoak00

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We had about 40 acres timbered last fall, am getting around to cleaning up tops and other sections that were laying around. I have a grapple for the front of the tractor that fits on the bucket and also use pallet forks to pick up logs that are 6-8 ft long. Lots of red oak, some white and rock, a bit of cherry and maple thrown in the mix.

SplittingwoodonacoldsunnyNovday.jpg

Speecowoodsplitter.jpg

Muleloadofredoak.jpg

looks like a good set-up. It must be nice to have an enclosed cab. Our international is does not.

We are between Harrisburg and State College.
Most of my firewood cutting equipment was not bought for that specific purpose. The tractor, grapple, forks, and Mule are used here on the farm.
The 3 pt hitch Speeco splitter I just recently purchased, it's slow but seems strong. My chainsaw is a 16" Husky model 141, cuts good but like many others of that model has a poor oiler. As soon as I can afford a new saw I will have one, either a Stihl model 260 (they are expensive) or the Dolmar 5100. The nearest Dolmar dealer is about 35 miles away.

We are between Harrisburg and State College.
Most of my firewood cutting equipment was not bought for that specific purpose. The tractor, grapple, forks, and Mule are used here on the farm.
The 3 pt hitch Speeco splitter I just recently purchased, it's slow but seems strong. My chainsaw is a 16" Husky model 141, cuts good but like many others of that model has a poor oiler. As soon as I can afford a new saw I will have one, either a Stihl model 260 (they are expensive) or the Dolmar 5100. The nearest Dolmar dealer is about 35 miles away.

Nice setup you have there! Welcome to the site, it's nice to see another fellow Pennsylvanian on here. I am just north of Carlisle.

We ought to soon have enough people to have a GTG.

Pic of grapple

Here is a pic of the grapple after I bought it about two years ago. Just recently made some changes to the ends, had them cut off and added another piece to each side so there would be more curve to the arms. Will post a pic of it in use after I get the bucket back on.
Grappleonthe45.jpg

Have you had any shifter issues with your mule.We also broke 2 rear axeles
other than that the thing has been great i load it full of wood.

Thanx for posting a photo of the bucket and arm. I was curious about the set up because I had been interested in a similar set up for putting logs on the firewood processor we use.

Nice setup.
I'm not far away either...over in Bloomsburg.

Latest posts

Back