Few Stihl Dealers Have Seal Puller Tool - WTF?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this puller but without having one in hand it is hard to judge the size of the hook and whether it would fit in the confined space allotted. Anybody ever use one of these successfully on an 026/260 flywheel seal?
The local dealer and quasi friend sold me a new one with 6 sets of
different jaws foe 93.bucks Canadian yes I"VE pulled ot 3 clutch side 024/026
seals ,all went perfectly.watch Brian Snellings u tube video on that seal pull

Well, add me to the club of puller owners... Just ordered a set. The stuff that I tend to reincarnate is in the 10-30 year old range which is good for getting worn out seals. Saving one saw or weedeater pays for the tool. It is also good to change out "unique" seals that may become NLA before the tool is dead. This way the seals are good for another 20 years by which time I probably won't care!

So when pulling FW seals is it best to put the puller jaws between the metal seal edge and the rubber or between the crank and the rubber... or does it matter? Do penetrating oils like PB blaster help at all?
Crank and rubber

The jaws will push in next to the crankshaft under the rubber. You will then spread the jaws with the thumbscrew to spread the jaws out to catch the metal lip on the outside of the seal. Turn the center screw and the bolt will pull the puller up and bring the seal with it. Dont be surprised if it takes more that 1 try on small stubborn seals.
I usually spin the puller around on its axis once 360 deg then re tighten the outrigger/leg screws and
turn the thumbscrew and out she comes

The local dealer and quasi friend sold me a new one with 6 sets of
different jaws foe 93.bucks Canadian yes I"VE pulled ot 3 clutch side 024/026
seals ,all went perfectly.watch Brian Snellings u tube video on that seal pull
Sounds like you got a GREAT deal! I have seen Brad's video... Makes it look easier than it can be with small tight seals... even with the tool.

Crank and rubber
I had issues with the jaws slipping so resorted to cutting the rubber next to the seal metal with an xacto knife. Holds much better. I also used PB blaster and a heat gun to help loosen things up a bit more. Worked good. I really didn't want to take the chance of bending the seal metal which would make it even harder for the jaws to grab.

Latest posts

Back