File size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preston

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How is one to know the file size a chain takes. I've been using the same file size I've always used and not I'm not so sure it's the right one. My 034 has the .345 chain. I thinks that's how it numbered. I put my file on the chain Saturday and something just didn't seem right. Almost like the file was to small. It didn't get into the throat on the link. I don't think it should be that way. Yes or no?

Help!

5/32" file for 3/8 low profile chain

3/16" file for .325 chain

7/32" file for 3/8 chain - although Stihl says to use 13/64"

7/32" file for .404" chain

yes but remember if you are using semi chisel you use one size smaller i.e. 5/32 with a .325 in a semi chisel.

yes but remember if you are using semi chisel you use one size smaller i.e. 5/32 with a .325 in a semi chisel.

Thats news to me! Been using the same file size for 3/8 pitch chain no matter if it was semi or full chisel for just about 30 years now.

The 5/32nd file is what I've been using for years. But on this chain I really noticed I was not getting down in the throat. I just left my saw shop and Woody said I had the right file but with the clamp on guide I couldn't get into the throat. He said it was the correct file anyway. So all I'm filing is the underside of the cutting edge and the edge itself. And about 1/8 inch of the throat. :msp_unsure:

Stihl used to recommend a smaller file for their semi-chisel chain back in the 80's and 90's... but not for the chains they make and sell now.
Full-chisel or semi-chisel uses the same size file... been that way for several years now.

attachment.php

How is one to know the file size a chain takes. I've been using the same file size I've always used and not I'm not so sure it's the right one. My 034 has the .345 chain. I thinks that's how it numbered. I put my file on the chain Saturday and something just didn't seem right. Almost like the file was to small. It didn't get into the throat on the link. I don't think it should be that way. Yes or no?

Help!

Did you intend to type .325? Common chain sizes .325, .375. There are others but these are the most widely used.

How is your chain cutting? IMO....that's what matters. If you feel the gullet isn't being cleaned out.....you could try the larger file. You can always go back.

Latest posts

Back