FINALLY....a perfect burn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ngzcaz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
About 7 below last night, loaded wood at 8:00 pm, added again at 7 am this morning. Normally, I have wood tilting towards the front of the stove and pretty high. Apparently the frigid temps fired her up more than normal. The ash bed was nice and even, red coals, and height was about 5 to 7 inches.

So... it appears I had been adding wood more than I needed to compounding the problem. Of course my excuse was " who wants to come out to an OWB thats almost out and take a chance of a slow restart ? I'm probably not alone in this and btw, I checked the aquastat downstairs in the oil burner and it was still between 150 and 160 which was right for me w/ a setting of 145 ( the owb's aquastat needs to be changed.. ) A nice plus since apparently I don't need the water temp higher than that to heat my smaller home.

:cheers: :cheers:

Sounds good, I agree these OWBs seem to be in 'their zone' and work better when it is cold versus when the temps are above 30.

Back