Finally a yardsale score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hangfirew8

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I can't complain too much, because yard sales this year have been very good for all my other hobbies, but I confess to being jealous of all you guys who really suck and get really great deals on lightly busted brand-name chainsaws.

Well this Saturday I finally got a two-fer. A complete non-running Poulan Pro 260 (42cc/18") for $5, and a made-in-USA Dunlap 1/3HP buffer for $10.

The buffer had a loose connection on the bottom that made it run intermittently. I found and fixed that in one minute with a screwdriver. It had a 5/8" arbor extension on a 1/2" shaft that made it run off balance. Smooth as silk once removed. I have an order in for two 1/2" extensions, a few dollars and it will be running coarse and fine buffing wheels beside my grinders and wire wheel.

The chainsaw is a 2002 with two medium-dull shark fin chains. At first I thought the chain on the bar was rusted fast but it moved easily with a little encouragement and very little lubrication. Once I got it moving easy I realized the chain tension was set very tight. I'm sure the owner was not impressed with the cutting performance the way it was set up.

The primer bulb is so dry it cracked when I pushed on it. Inside the clutch and flywheel look new. I pulled the spark plug and the piston is still metal colored, not even soot black or burnt looking. The "dura chrome" cylinder walls are pristine. It looks like it was run just long enough to moderately dull 2 extra-tight chains and then stored until it wouldn't run.

I have a new primer bulb and Tygon on order. I have to figure out which Walbro carb it has (so I can order a rebuild kit) and what the filing angles are on the chains. I'm looking for an IPL but the Poulan site doesn't go back to 2002.

2002 US EPA PH 2
Family: 2PWES.0424CS
Disp: 42CC:EM

Let's see if I can get some pictures up.

PS Great to see the site up on new software, with my old account too!

Last edited:
Cool man! That case is worth five bucks!

You might not need a kit, just taker the carb off, disassemble carefully and clean it.

That's a good score for sure. Don't let anybody tell you different. The carburetor is a Walbro WT625. Takes a K20-WAT (full) or D20-WAT (diaphragm/gasket) kit. For as little $ as you have into it, you'd be mad to not put at least a diaphragm/gasket kit in the carb. If the purge bulb is dry and cracked, then the diaphragms should really be replaced.

Cool man! That case is worth five bucks!

You might not need a kit, just taker the carb off, disassemble carefully and clean it.

Thanks, zogger!! That makes me feel better about another purchase. Last year I paid $5 for a similar Craftsman case that didn't fit any saws I currently have... you know... just in case. :)

That's a good score for sure. Don't let anybody tell you different. The carburetor is a Walbro WT625. Takes a K20-WAT (full) or D20-WAT (diaphragm/gasket) kit.

Cool! That WT625 was my #1 suspect, glad to have confirmation.

For as little $ as you have into it, you'd be mad to not put at least a diaphragm/gasket kit in the carb. If the purge bulb is dry and cracked, then the diaphragms should really be replaced.

Lol you guys are like the good angel/bad angel on my shoulders whispering opposite things. My Scottish cheap side is at war with my German "do it right" side.

I have a plan. After I put the new bulb and any necessary new fuel line on, I was thinking of unscrewing the H/L and squirting carb cleaner through it, and if that doesn't work I'll pull it down and put a kit in it. There's no real hurry as I have other working saws. Then again patience is not one of my primary virtues... :)

I don't see the harm in a kit, just I try without one first. Half the time I get away with a good cleaning, clean the little inside screen or screens out, put it back together. Depends on how easy it comes apart and the shape of the gaskets and diaphragm.

I have also noticed when I do this, it might not run good until the second day after it was fired up. The first day it runs, but seems a good overnight soak in fresh mix tends to rejuvenate the gasket stuff material.

You might find once you replace the purge bulb, fuel line, & check the spark plug it will start right up. If it does, I would just mix in a little "SeaFoam" for a couple of tanks & see how it runs then. ;) By the way, GREAT SCORE!!!

I don't see the harm in a kit, just I try without one first. Half the time I get away with a good cleaning, clean the little inside screen or screens out, put it back together. Depends on how easy it comes apart and the shape of the gaskets and diaphragm.

I have also noticed when I do this, it might not run good until the second day after it was fired up. The first day it runs, but seems a good overnight soak in fresh mix tends to rejuvenate the gasket stuff material.
+1 on yer last line...

Thanks for that tip. Should have parts by Friday.

In the meantime I took a look at the bar and chains. One chain is a .325/18" and doesn't fit- wrong pitch.

The mounted chain is an unknown pitch, I sharpened it OK then checked the bar- its bent. Probably usable but a definite curve to it. Looks like I'll be trading soon as I don't want to sink a lot of money in it. Whats the kosher way to advertise for trade on this forum?

Sent from Tapatalk

Thanks for that tip. Should have parts by Friday.

In the meantime I took a look at the bar and chains. One chain is a .325/18" and doesn't fit- wrong pitch.

The mounted chain is an unknown pitch, I sharpened it OK then checked the bar- its bent. Probably usable but a definite curve to it. Looks like I'll be trading soon as I don't want to sink a lot of money in it. Whats the kosher way to advertise for trade on this forum?

Sent from Tapatalk

Either the swap meet thread in the stickies or the classifieds/tradin-post subforum.

I've also had diaphragms work fine shortly after flushing things out and getting the saw running again..................................and then fail shortly afterwards. A K20-WAT or D20-WAT kit isn't exactly rare or expensive. Do whatcha want. Myself, I don't like risking a cherry P/C on a possible leanout caused by failed diaphragms when the dang kit costs $4-$10. If the lines and bulb are rotted/shot, then diaphragms are likely in sorry shape too. YMMV..

Latest posts

Back