finally bought a 372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John D

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
After selling my husky 460(it was a great saw),mostly due to the AS members raves,and the fact that I wanted a little more oomph without a lot more weight,I am taking a chance on an ebay saw. I hope its decent,to me it looks very clean,and worst case,I can always drop rings in it,and if the bore is scored,drop a BB kit in it,and still be way ahead of a new saw.It will look the same as a new one,oncei have it a month,I try to keep my saws nice,but I end up scraping and scuffing them anyway,thus the used one.Not sure what kind of deal I got,Ill post more when it gets here,seller has great feedback,let me know what you think so far......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130303876920

Really wanted a 372xpw,but the wallet didnt care for the price tag.For what I do,a used 372 is going to be great.The more I look at the pics,its about the cleanest used 372 ive seen on E bay in a long time.I think the one day auction on a weekend worked for me as well.I almost didnt look this morning either.I just hope its got good compression,and a score free cylinder.Of course Ill have to muffler mod it to see what the cyl looks like.

i was looking at that one too. i dont have the money right now but im always shopping for saws lol. she looks real nice man. youll get years of great service out of it im sure.

Thanks,I wouldnt have had the coin,but I sold my saw first,and have went about a month without the 460,which is like cutting my right arm off,due to having to borrow dad's old 041,which is a good saw,but heavy and slow,and not very well balanced next to the 460 I had.The 372 should be a nice step up from the 460 I had,can't wait for it to get here.Now I can grab a 28-32" and a skip chain for the occasional big stuff,and not worry about it killing the saw.

i had a 372 for a short while. i had a 20"on it normally. it also came witha 32 and a loop of skip. now it wasnt ideal with the 32 but it will get the job done. if i get another one before the year is over (i want a xpw myself) im prolly gonna put a 24 on it for normal use. i run a 20 on my 262 now anyway. but it just so happens i have a good 20" large mount setup already :)

I am looking for an old beater 372

Something I can have wildly ported for fun.. I meant mildly... Didn't I?

Hope it is as good as it looks, good price considering what others have brought. Wish I could find a 262xp or 254xp in that shape for a decent price.

Looks like you did alright for yourself. You wont be disappointed with it. Get it ported and muffler modded and you'll never look back.

Dang, that is a clean saw. I have a 371xp and love it, you should be styling with that one. I have a ported cylinder and modded muffler for mine, but haven't had the time to put them on.......I know I am a slacker.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,it went to my top bid,and shipping was free,any higher,Id have let it pass.I'm actually suprised I got it,Ive been watching used 372's for a while now and couldn't believe what a whipped saw was bringing,thats why I was going to go new.It does look very clean,and im very handy,if it needs something,parts are everywhere for it.As for porting and stuff,lets see how it runs stock,and I cant say I wont port it,but chances are ill just mod the muffler,and let that be all for a while.

I was going to bid on this one... had my wife not started arguing with me and I missed the end time by 2 seconds. $%@&*()

Instead ended up with a big bore 372XP for $520 shipped.

I was going to bid on this one... had my wife not started arguing with me and I missed the end time by 2 seconds. $%@&*()

Instead ended up with a big bore 372XP for $520 shipped.

glad you got a 372xp anyway. Please thank you wife for me:cheers::cheers:

congrats on the 372 john, i loved mine till it got stollen outa my locked garage. i have a parts saw if any one's lookin. it's got a broken crank. the cylinder is ported has a full wrap handle. not listing it so pm me if any one's interested.

Nice to see that you got your 372 John! You will surely enjoy it. Not all that much heavier than your 460, but it will have loads more power.

By coincidence, I did some cutting with an 041 on Saturday. It was another "gimmie" and I did the carb and wanted to see how she ran. The usual amount of noise and vibration for those things, but it ran great cutting some 10" to 12" hickory. Don't be too hard on your Dad's saw!

Nice to see that you got your 372 John! You will surely enjoy it. Not all that much heavier than your 460, but it will have loads more power.

By coincidence, I did some cutting with an 041 on Saturday. It was another "gimmie" and I did the carb and wanted to see how she ran. The usual amount of noise and vibration for those things, but it ran great cutting some 10" to 12" hickory. Don't be too hard on your Dad's saw!

I took a chance with that ebay saw,it looked too good to pass on.First thing im doing is a compression test when it gets here,and Ill take it from there.I really wanted an xpw,but really didnt want a full wrap handle ,and couldnt see spending another 4 bills for 4cc's and .1hp.
I try not be hard on dad's old 041,its a great saw,I use it pretty often now,esp since I sold the 460 rancher.I think once the 372 get here,I wont be using it nearly as much.

Got it tonight,it was very well packed and shipped.The saw looks like its had about 10-15 gas tanks run thru it if that.I would make a new one look like this in 3 weeks use.Compression seems great,but ive yet to put a guage on it.I fueled it with premix,added oil,and put it together,fired up 2nd pull.She is a screamer,seems to hit the rev limter even when in the wood.The saw revs a lot higher than any saw ive ever had. It lacks the torque of my old homelite xl925,but seems to be close in power.I'm going to try it tomorrow.A bonusi s a brand new stihl chain came with it! I think I Did alright on this one.......time will tell.

Latest posts

Back