finally bought a 372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took it to work with me today,pulled the plug and it was almost white,which explains why it was overrevving when i did a cut with it.It was too lean up top.After richening up the top end a touch,i realized it isnt much stronger than the rancher 460 I had.So I knew somethign wanst right,so I did a compression check,and its only got 105psi:censored:. I thought it pulled over a llittle easy for a 71cc saw......
I doubled check the guage,scewed it in my dads 9 yr old 55 with a ton of hours on it,and I got 150psi out of it.
I will let you guys know how I make out with this. Having never owned a 372,Im not used to how they sound and run,it is loud mechancally,and the exhaust is very loud as well compared to the ranchers.It doenst appear to have been modded.
Oh well,this is what can happen with an ebay saw,you win some,you lose some....

Sorry to hear that. This is why I won't buy used saws off Egay unless I can inspect it in person or it is a basket case that needs rebuilding anyway (and is priced accordingly). Way too many scammers and liars on that site. Hopefully a set of rings are all that is needed. Keep us posted please. I've never run a 460 Rancher but there is no comparison between my 2171 and my Uncle's 55 Rancher.

That's too bad...saw looks like new. Good luck w/ BB kit. Amazing how many people peddle stuff w/ problems on Ebay. I've bought one on Ebay (turned out great) but not going to push my luck. Found that I prefer CL where I can see before purchasing.

I tore it down,and the cyl and piston are scored.Rings seem to be like new,havent measure the end gap,but i squared them up in the cyl,and it looks to be about .030 gap at the most.
The ebay seller made right by me,I am very happy with the resolution we came too.I dont think he knew the saw too well,just turned it over quickly.The saw is very very clean,and well worth fixing.I am going to try to clean up the cylinder,and see what happens.Anyone know what kind of PSI compression I should be seeing on a 372xp? Dad;s old 55 had 150ish when i tested it yesterday to make sure my guage wasnt gone.The 55 was a lot harder to pull over than the 372 as well.

Sorry to hear this took a turn for the worse, I bet you can get the thing straightened out though. Contact the seller immediately and politely plead your case. With the combined knowledge here at this site you can have this saw running like a champ, better than when it was new in fact.

Pm me anytime, if I don't know something, I have the resources to get an answer.

Pull the cylinder and have a look see what is really going on in there, then you can formulate a strategy. There are a ton of options, just be sure it doesn't have an air leak that was causing the lean running before you fix the rest of the problems.

Getting a 372 is supposed to be a fun, rewarding experience, not a let down.

Moss man,thanks for the offer,I think i was posting as you were typing,lol.I am not at all upset,stuff happens,and it will be running again soon,and now i know the 372 inside and out!:chainsaw:

John,

At least you knew enough about saws to know you have been suckered, and apparently the seller made good on it with you. Most buyers would not know they were taken until it soon crapped out.

I too just got a 372XP (brand new) with 24" bar. Picked it up at the local Vermeer of TN Dealer and paid $699 plus tax. Man what a smooth running saw with tremendous acceleration and power. Get it fixed and stay away from Ebay for saws. Good deals on new saws if you shop around.

I am very pleased with the price paid and the outstanding service I receive from Spike on my Jreds! Best dang dealer within 500 miles in my opinion.

An update on the saw,after I tore it down,i tried to "clean up" the cyl and piston,re ring it and just try it again.Upon checking my ring end gaps,it was clear that my rings werent worn enough to bother replacing them. So I reassembled it,richened the H screw until it was no longer lean,and ran a tank thru it.It runs,but its clear its tired,and compression is still weak.
So now I am waiting on some new parts to freshen the saw up.I have a 372XPW 75cc P&C on its way here from Spike 60.Once it arrives,I should have a strong 372xp. I have a friend with a MS441,Its a beast,I hope this saw can hang with it,but im not sure if it will be able too.
In retrospect,I shoud have just bought a new saw,but im not worried about it,this saw is otherwise very clean,and ill have the 75cc version like I wanted.I feel the problem with the saw was due to the carb being adjusted too lean on top,causing all the scuffing.I dont think this saw was abused or beatu p otherwise,its just too clean.

i wouldn't worry about your friends 441.

why 372xpw walks all over the 441s i have used.hell,my regular 372 did as well.

Latest posts

Back