Finally bought a bucket truck..with pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys,
I use a 55' altec quite often on jobs that I can get it to. Sometimes I have to lay plywood on the yard to get near a tree. My local tire man asked me something the other day that I have been considering lately, but wanted some other opinions first. Instead of 4 tires on the back axle, what about getting wheels and tires that are wide? Kind of like mini monster truck tires. Maybe 24" wide, normal height though. Seems like this would lower the ground pressure put on the turf and maybe plywood or mats wouldn't be necessary. Sorry if this is a re-post. Any thoughts?

if it rained or snowed that thing would be all over the road with tires that wide.

Very true about the rain and snow deal. They would be expensive, but replacing 4 rear tires isn't cheap itself. Wheels are they same as a agriculture fert. or lime truck. There are pro's and con's of both, as always though, trying to find something better.

Isn't any one going to mention wearing a safty harness

Using a bucket truck you should wear a safty harness tied into the boom. People have died getting knocked out of buckets. Most assume they fall out but what really happens is " One drops a limb on the boom and it bounces the guy out or get it stuck on a limb then it releases shotting the man out like a catapolte". I've been knocked around many times, yet I constantly forget about putting on a harness. Though latley I've been just wearing my climbing belt alot and hook that into my lifeline. Not the best but it is some.

By the way Nice truck. Once you have a bucket you'll always have a bucket. It's like replacing two climbers with a machine that never complains.

Using a bucket truck you should wear a safty harness tied into the boom. People have died getting knocked out of buckets. Most assume they fall out but what really happens is " One drops a limb on the boom and it bounces the guy out or get it stuck on a limb then it releases shotting the man out like a catapolte".
I think someone made the statement in the second or third post of this thread.

can some1 tell me??

i to just got a 1987 ford f700 55ft boom buctet truck its my first .i see the boom has like two little tanks well the bottom one is leaking a little could it just go and fall 55ft and drop me ?i just started my biz last year and i dont have a lot of cash ive pasted on a job or two because i dont want to fall?? can i work it save cash and fix it ?or shouldnt I will the lift tank go and the boom stay in place or will tank go and it drop me how ever high iam please some1 help me iam new to this page so a e.mail to me would be grate u can find me at [email protected]

I've blown a hydraulic line in mine a couple times , one blew up in my face (no fun). Both times I had just enough juice to get it folded back up.
Both times I got the boom to within about 10ft of the ground and jumped out not knowing what the boom was going to do - then folded it up from the ground controls.

Don't quote me on this as different booms and situations are going to react differently. I would get the leak fixed asap and have it inspected.

It's gonna cost ya a few bucks but hey - it's only YOUR LIFE up there. Worth it?

Last edited:
connections are everything....a good tire guy is a MUST.:agree2:
Yesterday, I had one mission, find a set of good ,used, steer tires. I have a local wrecker shop that has 3 of those big azz sombyches. Like the ones on that show Wrecked. Went down there, found 2, identical tires with rims, mounted and aired up. Good Year tires with 3/4 tread. Wanted a price, was expecting 250-350, maybe more. Owner Craig called me "Scotty, hows a 100 for the pair"
"DUDE I LOVE YOU". I go out to the shop and begin to break the lugs loose, nope, notta! Bent a very large breaker bar. So I jump in, run down to the wrecker shop, talk the mech, Kevin, into droppin what he is doing. Breaks out the 1inch, 1400psi impact. Off and On in ten minutes, Kevin is done, I ask how much is the total, he says "100, like Craig (the owner) said......I drink Busch Light"

Vet is right, gotta have a good tire shop!

"I would get the leak fixed asap and have it inspected."

NJkid, at least do the inspection so you know what you're flying: some repairs you may be able to do yourself, before you go back up. Or you may have to climb for a while until you have the funds to repair the bucket. Not long ago, a local tree service replaced the leveling cables on an old 48pbi High Ranger, in house, trying to save money. On the first job, two employees were dumped out of the bucket. No one was killed.

A good tire connection can save you a lot of money. A good aerial lift repair man can save your life. (retreaded or regrooved steer tires can also kill)

i dont no what to do

yep gess ill have to save up and get lift tank on her fixed can u repack them boom tanks or lift tanks what ever thay are called??i was told most bucket trucks have locking pins so u wont drop like a stone turd??its a 1987 ford asp.bucket 55ft boom wit a dump??i cant just clime i have the gear but never ben trained i cant find out anything about dam thing .one person sed ya thay all leak one person sead ya thay have locking pins ill be back to work in two months gess ill try to save i wounder around how much it would be??i landscape so money is not grate thats y i got the bucket it runs so good its gas v8 gess she needs a little tlc.thanks for the help and for readin thanks.....and for tires try a scrap yard most buy them for the steal and take the tires off my tire man wanted 350 a peace used 200 the scrap yd 50 bucks and had about 30 of them i wonder can thay be diff.sizes or all the same??

Last edited:
yep gess ill have to save up and get lift tank on her fixed can u repack them boom tanks or lift tanks what ever thay are called??i was told most bucket trucks have locking pins so u wont drop like a stone turd??its a 1987 ford asp.bucket 55ft boom wit a dump??i cant just clime i have the gear but never ben trained i cant find out anything about dam thing .one person sed ya thay all leak one person sead ya thay have locking pins ill be back to work in two months gess ill try to save i wounder around how much it would be??i landscape so money is not grate thats y i got the bucket it runs so good its gas v8 gess she needs a little tlc.thanks for the help and for readin thanks

I would start by thanking the good lord you aren't dead yet and finish by selling the truck and hanging your head in shame. It's truly pitiful that men of your caliber simply assume they can walk right into our realm with a 25 year old bucket truck and steal our work.

yep gess ill have to save up and get lift tank on her fixed can u repack them boom tanks or lift tanks what ever thay are called??i was told most bucket trucks have locking pins so u wont drop like a stone turd??its a 1987 ford asp.bucket 55ft boom wit a dump??i cant just clime i have the gear but never ben trained i cant find out anything about dam thing .one person sed ya thay all leak one person sead ya thay have locking pins ill be back to work in two months gess ill try to save i wounder around how much it would be??i landscape so money is not grate thats y i got the bucket it runs so good its gas v8 gess she needs a little tlc.thanks for the help and for readin thanks.....and for tires try a scrap yard most buy them for the steal and take the tires off my tire man wanted 350 a peace used 200 the scrap yd 50 bucks and had about 30 of them i wonder can thay be diff.sizes or all the same??

If you are too stupid to spell correctly (spell check), no wonder you are having problems. Either you are trolling or playing stupid or you are stupid.
Jeff

nope still to heavey

if it rained or snowed that thing would be all over the road with tires that wide.

its a pain but wit a nice yard u need wood truck is to heavey even when thairs no rain for a week or to still dent the dirt try a pitch fork stick it right wair the dent starts push it down in dirt and u can sometimes fluff it up on crap lawns anyway but wood is the way to go

Scary... Glad your in Jersey.

Not that we don't have our own yo yo's here... Here they buy crane trucks and stand them up on two wheels... That is after they finish doing wheelies down the customer's road with their bobcat...

If you are too stupid to spell correctly (spell check), no wonder you are having problems. Either you are trolling or playing stupid or you are stupid.
Jeff

Did FTA move to Jersey? Really a 25 year old bucket that sounds like it has more problems then the SS Minnow? Good luck with that! Did you trade in a riding lawnmower for it? Another scraper that should be in the 101 section

Back