Finally bought a bucket truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolverineMarine

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys..I found an 83' Ford F800 electric utility bucket truck at a city auction and bought it. I havent taken it home yet, but its got the Detroit 8.8L( correction 8.2)V8..50ft insulated boom, 16,000 miles, a little over 1000hrs..mint interior/exterior, full service records, 100% garage kept, twin buckets..TONS of storage boxes..and my personal favorite..a 12k front winch/capstan..LOL..all told..I got it for 6 grand:jawdrop: ! I feel like I dam near stole it..cant wait till spring to put it to work..I'll put pics up when I pick it up..

Last edited:
Hey guys..I found an 83' Ford F800 electric utility bucket truck at a city auction and bought it. I havent taken it home yet, but its got the Detroit 8.8L V8..50ft insulated boom, 16,000 miles, a little over 1000hrs..mint interior/exterior, full service records, 100% garage kept, twin buckets..TONS of storage boxes..and my personal favorite..a 12k front winch/capstan..LOL..all told..I got it for 6 grand:jawdrop: ! I feel like I dam near stole it..cant wait till spring to put it to work..I'll put pics up when I pick it up..

So what do you think she'll fetch in scrap?? :)

Hey guys..I found an 83' Ford F800 electric utility bucket truck at a city auction and bought it. I havent taken it home yet, but its got the Detroit 8.8L V8..50ft insulated boom, 16,000 miles, a little over 1000hrs..mint interior/exterior, full service records, 100% garage kept, twin buckets..TONS of storage boxes..and my personal favorite..a 12k front winch/capstan..LOL..all told..I got it for 6 grand:jawdrop: ! I feel like I dam near stole it..cant wait till spring to put it to work..I'll put pics up when I pick it up..

Congrats:cheers:
sounds like you got it at a price you can make $$with.

You do know you still have to climb every now and again, don'tcha?LOL

50 dollars a ton if your lucky, it used to be like 240 a ton for number 1 steel, but with the economy in the pit's it's a good time to stock up and hold on to it . Good time to buy, not a good time to scrap. especially a sweet little truck like that.

That is an 8.2 Detroit. That is the first thing you will have to replace. 1983. Does it have a Pittman Hotstick boom? You didn't steal it at $6,000.00.

The other bucket is removable..I already thought of that..and for doing it part time..I figure it wasnt too bad..not like I'm going to be using it 10hrs a day 6days a week.. I dont exactly have the capital to get a newer truck w/ and altec boom etc..I figure for my 1st truck..it couldnt be that bad..

Last edited:
Sometimes I run a line truck with two buckets, sometimes the other bucket can be a pita, but it has come in real handy a few times. You can throw branches into the other bucket, you can work with another guy, one guy cutting, the other guy holding, etc. Nice if you have to climb out of the bucket on multiple trees that can all be reached with the boom but are way taller, buddy can move you around, come and get you back etc. a lot better than by running the lower controls. You got a good deal, 16k miles and 1000 hours is nothing on a well maintained truck.

Sounds like a decent deal to me. Those engines have a habit of blowing head gaskets/cracking heads, so just make sure you keep a good eye on all your fluid levels.

I paid $6500 for an '87 Ford with an asplundh boom about a year ago, so 6K isn't bad at all.

50 dollars a ton if your lucky, it used to be like 240 a ton for number 1 steel, but with the economy in the pit's it's a good time to stock up and hold on to it . Good time to buy, not a good time to scrap. especially a sweet little truck like that.

ARound here its down to 15 a ton, but congrats on the truck

Not to steal the thread but I was looking at a 99 GMC 7500 forestry body with a 60' high ranger about 60,000 miles for 30K. Oh and it has a 454 chevy. What do people think? decent deal? It has a pony motor too. Old line truck. Reconditioned and inspected. Just curious what you all think..... Mike

Sounds like that was a very good purchase, low miles, garage kept and all. Why wait till spring? Tis the season to get into the oaks for pruning and dead wooding. Only 16K miles, tires should be good shape so get it working already no?

Enjoy your new ELEVATOR!!! :)

Back