Finally cut some wood this weekend. Is this hickory?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylor6400

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to get to a tree that came down in the wind a couple weeks ago at our property. Is this a hickory? I was thinking pignut? I really wasnt sure...hickory's always throw me (except for shagbark). I thought i got a close up of one of the splits but i guess not. Got it cut and brush cleaned up on Sat and all split on Sunday afternoon. Put in a good day in the woods Saturday, cleaning up our roads and trails and got a food plot frost seeded, plus this tree cut up. Should have enough wood now for next winter ready. Just gotta haul this pile to the shed now.

Noodled a couple rounds just for fun...
View attachment 281427

View attachment 281428

View attachment 281429

Not sure what you have there from the pics but a good way to tell hickory apart this time of year is the buds. Shagbark is obvious from the bark with large fuzzy buds. After that mockernut also has large fuzzy buds without the shag but a tighter bark pattern. Pignut will have nice eggshaped buds. And bitternut will have a sulfur yellow smallish bud. Hope that helps.

Looks like maple to me... but what do I know?

It could be. Before i started cutting i thought it was maple. But, then such dark heart wood threw me off. Im no expert thats for sure...it very well could be. Im not too proud to admit it! It didnt have much of any odor to it at all so it could be maple.

The bark looked like hickory, to me- throw a piece in the stove and you will tell hickory from maple in about 4 hrs.

Looks like the hard maple we have in northern wi. Cut alot of it for my father. Good stuff. Wont last as long as oak or hickory but a good burnable wood that burns hot and clean.

Looks like two different types of trees in the one picture. One of them looks like an ash and the other looks like a maple. I would think that Maple would have more strings in the splits. Those splits look clean like it would be Ash. The one tree looks to have diamond type bark like an Ash..

Either way it looks like you have a good day in the woods. We still have about 14 or more inches of snow in our woods.

Looks like two different types of trees in the one picture. One of them looks like an ash and the other looks like a maple. I would think that Maple would have more strings in the splits. Those splits look clean like it would be Ash. The one tree looks to have diamond type bark like an Ash..

Either way it looks like you have a good day in the woods. We still have about 14 or more inches of snow in our woods.

Im pretty sure that all in the picture is from one tree. It is possible that the smaller stuff to the left is one that came down with it though. I dont recall now. THe big stuff all split clean. It seemed hard though. The splitter would hit it and it would take a couple seconds then bang, split those big rounds right apart with few strings and without needing to go full cycles. Pretty wood too.

Hickory or ash is my best guess from the photos?? Both are great firewood with hickory being top notch and the darker heartwood leans me in that direction. Both, if split and stacked now, will be ready to burn next season and with two seasons drying time will be optimal.

Looks like ash to me. You could tell from the smell if it was hickory. That or if you can bust it clean with a axe it is ash, if it hangs on with lots of little stringy fibers it is hickory.

taylor6400,
Its hard sometimes to make a "guess" as to wood ID sometimes from a few pics. My guess was Ash. I'll include a few pics of some Ash I cut. I have been cutting mostly Ash for several years now, due to EAB. These pics are from a little larger, and probably older tree. I have noticed there can be differences in them depending on age, where in the woods they grew, low ground, high ground etc. Most of them in my area seem to grow in the more moist areas, as opposed to dryer high ground. Bark can vary somewhat also. Even on a tree itself. Limbs and higher up parts of the tree can look entirely different than down below on the main trunk. Not to mention, there are numerous Ash variety's out there.

eed6b522ead85a73fafc.jpg

6c1dd4cf2dd5d04e771e.jpg

c29a3e35061b8a6d2d33.jpg

a2fbfa8fd4dce40bf368.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

My guess is ash. Never cut a hickory around our parts that wasn't stringy in the split, even the smaller rounds want to hang together. I will say I have only seen shagbark, bitternut and pignut in our area. Not sure how the others split. Ash is fine firewood and who doesn't like a mix of good hardwood. We are so blessed in the northeast to have such a variety.

Yep looks like ash but i think it's norway maple.

If you had a picture of a small limb it would be easy to say Ash or Norway maple.
Small Norway has a small dark brown core, Ash does not.

Last edited:
Plus if it were hickory you could tell by the odor. It's just sweeter smelling than all the others. :msp_smile:

Latest posts

Back