Finally downloaded some pics of work.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtimer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Various jobs / times / loads.

0117120853a.jpg

downsized_0117120853b.jpg

downsized_0125121346.jpg

0126121402a.jpg

0117120852.jpg

0111121037.jpg

downsized_0730111049a.jpg

Last edited:
1988 Deere 648D D/A. Last of the "I can fix it myself" Deeres.

I hear you about the last of the "fix it yourself" Deeres. I have two of the baby versions of the 648, 540B's and I love those little skidders.

What engine do you have in yours? The 6414.

Does it have the 8 forward and 4 reverse gear shifter/tranny?

What size grapple do you have 11' or 13' or some other size?

Do you use a buck saw or buck with chainsaw?

Later,

Sam

The serial number for the engine has 6414 in it, so that must be it. Turbo-six. All kinds of power for my needs. It does have the 8/4 transmission. LOVE that. No clutch, just pop it in and go from a stop. Only use the "cut-out" for the trans 2x a day, if that much.
I want to say it's a 10' bunching grapple, but I have never measured it. It's pretty damn big. See the biggest butt log on the front of the trailer? It will take two of those trees, limbs and all, like nothing.
I use Husqvarna saws. No loader / slasher yet. That's next- with a delimber. Then finally, a feller-buncher with at least a 22" saw. I figure it'll be another 6-8 years before I have them both.
By then I'll probably need a bit better skidder, but I have no idea what...I may buy another D and just keep refreshing them both.

Last edited:
Are you using supper singles on those trucks if so how do they work

That's my trucker, and yes, the tractor trailer uses all super singles. He seems to like them well enough, as he's used them for some years now. The Straight-job (Tri-axle) uses them on the tag axle.

Nice setup you got there Oldtimer.

How did you bunch all that firewood together with the skidder? Did you use the blade or use the grapple to get them all together like that? I'm used to running a cable skidder.

How long have you been in the logging business?

Nice setup you got there Oldtimer.

How did you bunch all that firewood together with the skidder? Did you use the blade or use the grapple to get them all together like that? I'm used to running a cable skidder.

How long have you been in the logging business?

I push while my man chops 6-10 trees, then he gets out of the way while I grab them 2-3-4 at a time, whatever comes quickest, and then deck them on the trail for him to limb out. By the time I get back with another 3-4, he's got them done and he's ready for the next twitch.
I drive up alongside, pull past a bit, then back up to get the butts all even. I drop them and go get the next twitch.
Anyone who says you can't hand cut and "log" with a grapple is wrong. You just have to use your head and get good with the machine. This JD has increased production by over half.....and not one time did I use a winch since I bought it a year ago.

I have been logging, self employed, since 1996.

I push while my man chops 6-10 trees, then he gets out of the way while I grab them 2-3-4 at a time, whatever comes quickest, and then deck them on the trail for him to limb out. By the time I get back with another 3-4, he's got them done and he's ready for the next twitch.
I drive up alongside, pull past a bit, then back up to get the butts all even. I drop them and go get the next twitch.
Anyone who says you can't hand cut and "log" with a grapple is wrong. You just have to use your head and get good with the machine. This JD has increased production by over half.....and not one time did I use a winch since I bought it a year ago.

I have been logging, self employed, since 1996.

Yeah I agree. We have two Franklin grapple skidders and I can skid about 50% more with the grapple than I can hooking chokers if the terrain allows. Sometimes we cut some cliffs and have to pull cable, but not to often. I find that you save alot of time on the landing as well. Its a lot easier and faster to sort with a grapple than a cable skidder. I think you burn a little more fuel overall, but I'll sacrifice that for the production increase, not having soaked gloves in the winter, and not wrestling rattle snakes in the summer. But I sure miss the jolt of a swarm of ground bees going up my pant legs while hooking a choker.:hmm3grin2orange:

When you are skidding keep the parallelogram bar on the back side of the grapple. As you go forward a tree can break it at the pinn boss. Just watch out when you are backing up you dont hit it on a tree.

Nice load of pine in those first pics. My father seems to always be partial to big pine lots . Good pics. doug

I always drove with that grapple bar in the back too, but then spun it around if I was pushing trees or banging around in reverse. I have seen them bent on other peoples grapple skidders and didn't want mine to get bent.

Sam

I have never gave it any consideration, to tell the truth. It's so damn big that I can't imagine harming it unless I were doing something real stupid.

Latest posts

Back