Finally got a dremel, amazing little tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, got 2 or 3 of them. Had that adapter to sharpen chains for a while, used it once or twice did not care for it. Although the battery operated is nice for those that want to carry them into the woods. I am sure some people get them to work just fine, just not me.

So...one day my buddy is going thru my toolbox, says he wants to borrow the dremel and this little grinding wheel....what for? He only tells me he wants to grind something, so I say sure take it. Couple weeks go by, needing that dremel to make some carb cutting adjustments, go by his house to get it. The grinding wheel is completeley covered in some acryllic plastic goop that I can't get off or remove.
Call him up later on (just to BS and harass him) his wife said he's not home, I said well tell him I'm mad at him for ruining my grinding stone on my dremel...she says DREMEL? I thought that was a dentist drill.:jawdrop:

Yup, apparently he got new dentures, and he was making them fit better on a daily basis.

That's pretty gross.

Hoosier, eh? Fellow Big Tenner here, GO PSU!!

The dremmel is a very hand tool. they help a lot on modding saws.A angle grinder with a wire gup works good for removing rust.

Hey Lead, how ya been??

->THESE<- work pretty good for removing rust without grinding a hole in something, gotta spin'em kinda slow though.

Hey Lead, how ya been??

->THESE<- work pretty good for removing rust without grinding a hole in something, gotta spin'em kinda slow though.

Been good, you?

Those are the buffs I have been using. They just don't last very long, but they are very good at removing rust.

Hey congrats on you new present!! No porting huh??? HMMMM!! I've had one for yrs it gets a fair amount of use. I know what you mean about the power but at the same time you can do alum quite quickly--- sometimes to fast!! If you still need to clean up your muffler bring it along next time you come down and you can use my stationary wire wheel/buffer at the shop. That makes short work of it.

Like a lot of tools the more acc. you have the more useful it becomes.:cheers:

Hey congrats on you new present!! No porting huh??? HMMMM!! I've had one for yrs it gets a fair amount of use. I know what you mean about the power but at the same time you can do alum quite quickly--- sometimes to fast!! If you still need to clean up your muffler bring it along next time you come down and you can use my stationary wire wheel/buffer at the shop. That makes short work of it.

Like a lot of tools the more acc. you have the more useful it becomes.:cheers:

Thanks Robin, but I think I got it cleaned up about as good as it will get. No porting, but we'll see about that. I have been thinking about finding a burnt up 6xx saw and put a ported 272 p&c on it. Preferably a 625, you know a real sleeper. ;)

:cheers:

Family got me a Dremel tool for Christmas, and had some fun playing with it today. I started to clean up the rust on one of my mufflers, what attachment is best for removing rust? The wire wheels are next to useless, but the abrasive buff wheels do a pretty good job. Anything better?

Yes, dremel tools are really good for their intended purpose. I try to use mine for too big of jobs every now and then and end up breaking cutoff disk or messing up my wire wheels. They also make so many accessories for precision work.........have fun and remember its a exacto knife not a machete.

Brushes are the weak point...

and on some models are not replaceable...

I've gone through 3 already. I use them lots! they work great for cutting bearing races off farm equipment shafting!

I have the Roto-Zip version and quite a bag full of accessories including a plunge router base. I don't think of it very often for saw work as I do have a shop full of other options, including a parts washer and sand blast cabinet. Fact is I like using the parts washer with mineral spirits and strips of emery cloth for most rust removal projects, very fast and good looking results. Also works very well for thing like the carbon and varnish burned on pistons, etc..

I have used the rotary tool with the Oregon grinding stones for touching up some really rough chains on some e-Bay saws.

I don't have the patience for a lot of work with the rotary tool, but if that is all you have to work with, enjoy it by all means.

Mark

P.S. PB, I still think of you every time I look at my 7-10, one of the best acquisitions I've made. Thanks again...

I got a nice flex shaft one off of ebay back in the spring and I've beat it up ALOT, and think it's time to spring for a Foredom setup before I kill the Dremel. One from CC Specialty would be really nice but I def. don't have the cash for one of their setups.

flex shaft compatable?

I have the Roto-Zip version

can you get a flex shaft for these?

at my office they had a high powered one in the electronics workshop. the flexshafts are still there, but the main drive unit is gone!

Our technologists transfered to another site, and treat us as remote... and they have been slowly stealing my.... er slowly removing their tools from the workshop.

Dremel is a great tool for smaller projects - bigger is not always better.

The most valuable accessories I have are the right angle attachment, and the flexible shaft accessory.

The trick with Dremel attachments is that they are always cheaper in a kit, than purchased individually. If you look at the cost of buying accessories individually ($3 here, $10 here, $20 there, etc.) it really adds up, especially when you can find larger kits sold along with a new tool for $50 to $70. If you are sure that you are going to buy several accessories, look at the kits, especially when on sale.

I have several Dremels - I keep one for use with standard bits, one with the right angle, one with the flex shaft.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back