Finally got me a big Husky - 390XPG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My credit is good. I can't even imagine trying to go through and rebuild that many saws! I know the market would support it though. 044/440s are always in demand.

Yup, when my local Dealer gets an old one in... They rebuild it. The head tech told me it doesn't sit but a day or two and someone buys it.

I had never even seen a Heated Handle or Carb until I bought my 371 from a guy from upstate NY. I know one thing- last week when I was toying with it and forgot it was on it got HOT! I am not really sure if I will ever use it again or not.

Of course it was 96 degrees in the shade as well:censored:

This must be my lucky day! I just got my 390XP advertised in the 'bay as possibly having a bad bottom end. Both bearings are tight and smooth:clap:. The new piston is indeed new. The cylinder looks like new inside. And to top it off...it runs like a charm after tuning the carb and setting the idle. Every now and then it will just stop running. But there are numerous loose wires hanging on it. I'll try to sort them out, but if worse comes to worse, it just won't be a XPG any more, just a XP. Also the threads are a little buggered on the sparkplug hole. If you get it in right it tightens down nicely though. Nothing that can't be fixed should it need be. There is one crack in the case in a totally insignificant place. Looks like I really scored on this one. I'm going to get it cleaned up tonight and will post some pics in a new thread. Ohh...full-wrap handle and huge spikes too:clap:

I actually prefer Stihl, I did buy a near new 390XP, 07 model from someone out of work, needed the cash, 500 bucks. Stock saw, 20" bar, 7 pin, 3/4 skip chisel. Bumped it to a 24", fullcomp, 8 Pin chisel. Tested ran it in an old Hard Maple Log I keep just for that reason. Seems the more you lean on it the better it likes it. Amazing saw!

I actually prefer Stihl, I did buy a near new 390XP, 07 model from someone out of work, needed the cash, 500 bucks. Stock saw, 20" bar, 7 pin, 3/4 skip chisel. Bumped it to a 24", fullcomp, 8 Pin chisel. Tested ran it in an old Hard Maple Log I keep just for that reason. Seems the more you lean on it the better it likes it. Amazing saw!

The odd thing is that the 390xp is gone from the catalog (and web-site) here this year, but the 385xp still is there - I would have expected the opposite......:confused:

She's all cleaned up and running like a clock. I stripped it all the way down except for pulling the jug. Everything was cleaned and put back together. It's tuned to 13,700 and runs great. I'll be installing a new top cover and recoil housing, as well as the decals on both sides.

572413893_9HD7y-M.jpg

572413901_MuW6Y-M.jpg

572413694_LyhQY-M.jpg

572413475_HJhNR-M.jpg

572413432_nuUpn-M.jpg

572413481_DZhRz-M.jpg

8-pin RIM, Stihl 3/8 RSC chain. Sorry, it was getting dark when I got done with it.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wVlAXZsF0AU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wVlAXZsF0AU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The saw was shutting off intermitently because the ground wire from the coil was not hooked up to the switch and was just floating around. That's fixed and it shuts off normally now.

I got most of the heating wiring sorted out. Unfortunately this is not the original handle and has no element. If anyone has a 1/2-wrap 385/390XPG handle I'd be willing to trade you. I'm trying to finish sorting out the wiring. The wire from the generator goes to the switch. The other side of the switch goes to the right side of the rear handle. It then crosses over to the left side of the rear handle. From there it goes to the loop handle. That wire was just cut off and hanging. Do I need to connect the left rear handle coil to ground?

Then there's a thermostat between the carb and intake. One wire goes to ground and the other goes to the carb heating element. I haven't yet figured out where the other wire on the heating element connects. Based on the pic below, it looks like it connets to the wire from the generator, before the switch. Would this make sense? I guess the thermostat turns the carb element on and off on its own and the operator only controls the grip elements. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me where this other carb element wire goes. I haven't found a connection for it yet.

572418268_UT47i-L.jpg

I thought I'd move the vid to this page since it ended up at the bottom of the last page.

8-pin RIM, Stihl 3/8 RSC chain. Sorry, it was getting dark when I got done with it.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wVlAXZsF0AU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wVlAXZsF0AU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Latest posts

Back