Finally got me a big Husky - 390XPG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it would be good to see you and another builder or two get the same saws and mod them for worksaws, showing some pics along the way, then the saws could be tested by an independent memeber.

great find and great saw :clap:

cheers, Serg

She's all cleaned up and running like a clock. I stripped it all the way down except for pulling the jug. Everything was cleaned and put back together. It's tuned to 13,700 and runs great. I'll be installing a new top cover and recoil housing, as well as the decals on both sides. .....

Looks good and sounds good -

why are you replacing those covers :confused:

Then there's a thermostat between the carb and intake. One wire goes to ground and the other goes to the carb heating element. I haven't yet figured out where the other wire on the heating element connects. Based on the pic below, it looks like it connets to the wire from the generator, before the switch. Would this make sense? I guess the thermostat turns the carb element on and off on its own and the operator only controls the grip elements. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me where this other carb element wire goes. I haven't found a connection for it yet.

572418268_UT47i-L.jpg

Thats how it should work, thermosthat kicks heating on when venturi temp hits around 10c or so and shuts off when not needed... Switch is only for handle heaters...

I just don't see a connection for the carb heater. Anyone else have or have worked on a 385/390XPG?

one wire from thermostat to ground, other one to carb heater, second lead from carb heater to coil... m'kay?

my Stihl dealler said he had a few 361's come back from the power line trimming guys. The carb heaters stuck "on" in minus 30C last winter. Not sure what the fix for it would be, or why they could get stuck "on". It only hapened to a few and he sold them a whole new fleet of 361's apparently.

Thanks for the vid Brad!!!

I thought I'd move the vid to this page since it ended up at the bottom of the last page.

8-pin RIM, Stihl 3/8 RSC chain. Sorry, it was getting dark when I got done with it.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wVlAXZsF0AU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wVlAXZsF0AU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dustytools let me run his at the GTG and man,,,I loved it....
I was wondering about heated handles though...If it makes your hands get too warm and sweat in your gloves,,and then you stop to move brush ,,load wood,,,wont that be worst??? Just wondering...

Back