Finally had a bad USPS experience

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bama

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Karlstad, MN---Where the earth meets the sky.
I just shipped out the saws I eBayed so everyone has them now. I got a response from one of the buyers that the handle was broken on the 621(right hand). He sent me a picture and it got hit so hard that it snapped the top of the handle off right under where your hand would go and also broke the casing by the choke. It sold for $130, so I didn't put insurance on it. I am going to have him ship it back and fix it, then ship it back to him....on me. I talked to him on the phone and he is a real decent guy, but someone at the PO really hit the box. I tape my boxes REALLY well and they are filled with crumpled up paper, but it must have been dropped from a three story building to do that much damage!:jawdrop: It went from MN to AR.

Looks like it will cost me about $50. I don't know if insurance would have covered me anyway. I mailed it in a box used in a restaurant. Strong box, but not listed for chainsaws.

He is sending me more pics, but the way he describes it, the choke lever moves side to side. It didn't do that at the factory.

I've got a friend that works for usps, he says those packages get treated pretty rough, thrown, slammed, etc...

I had a nice BLK58 destroyed in shipment by the USPS coming to me about 3 weeks ago. It looked like it had to take a very hard hit or log fall, to sustain the damage it did. Kinda made me sick when I opened the box.:(

You should have had that saw shipped by DHL and it would have looked like cookie crumbles...........

I use FedEx and UPS mostly. With FedEx, I've never had anything damaged. However, 9 out of the 10 packages I most recently sent were either mis-directed, late or placed somewhere the recipient could not find the package. For example: I sent an envelope to Bryce and he never got it. 2days later it was found sandwiched between the rear window and the cap on the back of a pick up truck about 50 miles away. The FedEx driver placed it there thinking the truck belonged at that location and that it would be seen. The person in the pick up was just visiting and thankfully honest. Good thing it didn't blow away. UPS I've had things damaged and now that they are no longer self insured, they have denied the claims. Presumably, "Insufficiently Packaged". Kind of a broad umbrella that statement falls under. Of course, being able to see where the container was creased when it was severely bent didn't count what so ever. Unfortunately the stock on the Anschutz rifle inside did not fare so fell. The nature of the break was obviously from abuse but, they did not stand by it and I ate the repair cost. I guess shipping anything by anybody is at best a crap shoot.

I use FedEx and UPS mostly. With FedEx, I've never had anything damaged. However, 9 out of the 10 packages I most recently sent were either mis-directed, late or placed somewhere the recipient could not find the package. For example: I sent an envelope to Bryce and he never got it. 2days later it was found sandwiched between the rear window and the cap on the back of a pick up truck about 50 miles away. The FedEx driver placed it there thinking the truck belonged at that location and that it would be seen. The person in the pick up was just visiting and thankfully honest. Good thing it didn't blow away. UPS I've had things damaged and now that they are no longer self insured, they have denied the claims. Presumably, "Insufficiently Packaged". Kind of a broad umbrella that statement falls under. Of course, being able to see where the container was creased when it was severely bent didn't count what so ever. Unfortunately the stock on the Anschutz rifle inside did not fare so fell. The nature of the break was obviously from abuse but, they did not stand by it and I ate the repair cost. I guess shipping anything by anybody is at best a crap shoot.

I just got a box FEDEX yesterday and it was in great shape and it came from IL...................

The shipper did a great job boxing it up too......

:greenchainsaw:
I just got a box FEDEX yesterday and it was in great shape and it came from IL...................

The shipper did a great job boxing it up too......

Must not have been shipped by a typical Illinoisan!:dizzy:

I hate to admit this, but I worked for UPS when I was in college some years ago as a package handler. I worked mostly in the unload area where the trailers were unloaded from other cities coming into Portland Or.
We would extend a long arm with a belt into the trailer, then just tip the entire stack and let it crash on to the belt that would then take the packages out to be sorted. Keep in mind that those stacks went from the floor of the trailer all the way to the top, the top packages really took a beating when they hit the belt.
Back in those days Gateway was the big computer company, and I cant tell you how many times we would see those Gateway boxes hit the belt and hear the monitors inside break.
When I hired on there, they had a short training period where you were instructed to always "set" the package on the belt, never throw anything. Once I got on the unload lines, the supervisor quickly showed us how things are to be done.As fast as possible, regardless of package damage.
Bothers me to this day.

Over the years, shipping a thousand plus packages through USPS, UPS & FedEx, I've had a few insurance claims. If the package was insured, the buyer always got reimbursed. Now I'm not saying we didn't have to jump through hoops and do cartwheels but something eventually always got done. :givebeer:

USPS for international

Maybe different in CONUS but for international shipping nothing beats USPS.
All of the other companies will stick you for a lot of "handling/customs clearance " fees on this side of the pond.
and TBH USPS is fine in my book, only once have I had stuff go missing and that was a pair of Irish setter huntng boots.
I believe that the USPS postal police are very efficient and thorough in their handling of postal theft, and correct me if I am wrong but isn't postal theft a big crime over there?

Always track and Always insure...

People used to quit UPS to work for Fed-Ex since they were more relaxed on package handling. Working in the packaging/delivery business is rough when you make a profit by moving LOTS of volume with the least amount of workers. Solution is to overwork the people and equipment so you make your numbers, the only people that win in that situation is the upper management.

As for some items think of a tree hugging hippy handling a chainsaw package or anti-gun liberal with a box that says "Beretta".... Imagine what could happen when nobody is looking! (30ft drop, steel toed boot, ran over, crushed between a pole.) I shipped a package to Armalite only to see that UPS broke my Starlight gun case! Case was considered as a "outer" shipping container...

Most times I insure 2x the cost through any shipping company.

The USPS like to deliver empty bar packages I do know that. 2 in a row I ordered and had slid out the end of the cardboard. You would think a 20" bar plus a 20" box would draw about 40" of attention at some point.

Having worked for UPS also as an unloader and loader of the "package car :dizzy: " speed and volume are the only things that matter. You are taught to set the package down on the belt/steel roller but who has the time when you are unloading 1500 packages per hour. Des Moines tested the new guys by making then unload out of the old trailers that has packages above and below the non rolling steel rollers :chainsaw:

Most of the damage done to packages was when there was a jam on the conveyor due to too much volume or bunching up in the sharp bends of the chutes. It doesn't matter what kind or how heavy a box if it gets caught on the belt it will be crushed.

Brian

Usps

Has a $280.00 Lionel engine came in crushed in a thousand pieces..Lucky I had insurance,,and the lady at the post office said it prob. hung on a conveyer..I got my money,,but hated the engine got smashed..

Always track and Always insure...

People used to quit UPS to work for Fed-Ex since they were more relaxed on package handling. Working in the packaging/delivery business is rough when you make a profit by moving LOTS of volume with the least amount of workers. Solution is to overwork the people and equipment so you make your numbers, the only people that win in that situation is the upper management.

As for some items think of a tree hugging hippy handling a chainsaw package or anti-gun liberal with a box that says "Beretta".... Imagine what could happen when nobody is looking! (30ft drop, steel toed boot, ran over, crushed between a pole.) I shipped a package to Armalite only to see that UPS broke my Starlight gun case! Case was considered as a "outer" shipping container...

Most times I insure 2x the cost through any shipping company.

I plan on adding insurance from now on. I shipped at least 2 dozen saws in my lifetime, and received WAY more than that and this is the first time I had trouble. I knew, in the back of my mind, that it was only a matter of time. I told my Postmaster and he felt real bad and I also checked on what they require for a claim so I will be ready next time.

Latest posts

Back