Finally! My 288XP!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkEagleUSA

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been looking for one for a while and finally found one here in the Tradin' Post. Here she is...

Carb rebuild, fuel line & filter, high-top cover, NOS clutch cover, replacement tank/handle with new throttle and presence lever, tank valve, fuel/oil caps. She came with a slightly modded muffler but I think I'll try my hand at modding an aftermarket tube muffler I found.

20140408_172404_zpszdl3acpx.jpg

20140408_172341_zpsz77q7e68.jpg

20140408_172327_zpswqtb3lkt.jpg

20140408_172319_zpswpcr1w30.jpg

20140408_172310_zpsmr4gezzt.jpg

And a little ear candy...

Can't get to any wood until the weekend to try her out but she's purring at 2600 idle and tached at 12,000 while still 4-stroking. I won't push that until I can get some cuts in.

Sorry about the Star Wars sounding video... my phone didn't do that throaty rumble any justice. :(

Your 288 project turned out great. What year is it? Here are a couple pictures of the 89 300th anniversary edition that I rebuilt after the 288 bug bit me.
I probably spent more on it than I should have but it's a blast to run and sounds awesome.
wes's iphone april 2014 243.JPG wes's iphone april 2014 281.JPG

Your 288 project turned out great.
Thanks, but it was mainly cosmetics so far (other than the carb rebuild). I did a quick, unscientific check of the squish through the plug hole and it came in at .041 so I'll probably be pulling the jug soon to see if I can delete the gasket for some extra "punch".

What year is it?
Unfortunately, the S/N plate was missing when the previous owner got it so he had no idea. The best I can tell is it's an older model because it has the old style oil pump (assuming that's even original to the saw). Luckily, most parts are interchangeable regardless of year.

Here are a couple pictures of the 89 300th anniversary edition that I rebuilt after the 288 bug bit me. I probably spent more on it than I should have but it's a blast to run and sounds awesome.
Looks sweet! This one has set me back a little less than $400 so far. I don't think that's too bad considering what newer saws with similar displacement go for. Plus it's a 288! :cool:

Sounds mean! Nice saw.
Thanks... but I wish I knew what that higher-pitched sound is. It's almost metallic but the bearings feel ok. It sounds like it's coming from the clutch side so maybe there's an issue there. Further investigation forthcoming.

Is that what u'r talkin about? Ya, that's the clutch drum ringing. I thought you were talking about the whooshy sound, but that may just have been u'r phone

Is that what u'r talkin about? Ya, that's the clutch drum ringing. I thought you were talking about the whooshy sound, but that may just have been u'r phone
Mine seems to be a more muted "ping", but the same sort of tempo. If I have time tomorrow, I'll shoot another video from the clutch side.

Mine seems to be a more muted "ping", but the same sort of tempo. If I have time tomorrow, I'll shoot another video from the clutch side.

It's the clutch/clutch drum. My 394 makes the same sound. All the 288 threads lately, and I ran across part of a west coast 288 last weekend. Coincidence? I think not. :D

Are the spring style buffers available anywhere? The one I picked up had the hard rubber buffers in it and one of them needs to be replaced.

Damn, this saw looks cool!

My colleague has one lying around in his garage, it no longer works, but for now he does not want to sell. I have to ask him again. I think his one have a metal chainbrake.

Latest posts

Back