• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Finally narrowed it down, either a ms362 or ms261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Code_Red

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
alright fellas let the opinions fly, after A LOT and i mean a lot of reading, questioning and talking on here i am thinking the best choices for me at this time are either a ms362 or ms261. I'm sticking with stihl because the dealer network is best in my area, i don't doubt that the husky and jred would be awesome but the dealers are severely lacking in my area. At the moment I'm leaning toward a 261 with an 18" bar. (if i were to get the 362 i would be fine with either a 18 or 20" bar.) I have been talking a lot with brad and randy and i am set on sending whichever saw i buy to randy to get MASTERMINDED :chainsaw:. let me know what you think and why. Keep in mind my biggest reason for buying this saw was so i could have a saw that bridged the gap between my 025 and my 044. the next reason with is equally as important is my dad will be using this saw as much as i will. He is in his 50s but many years on the construction crew has killed his back and shoulders so weight is a big thing and the anti vibe is a must so this is why I'm looking for a saw smaller than the ~14lb 044. I also want the new mtronic so i can just pull the cord and go.

im bashing my head against the wall right now asking myself: " do i get a saw thats $165 more and only saved about 1.2 lbs over the 044 (ms362) but, once ported, will likely do everything the 044 will so it will get used roughly 90% of the time or do i save 3lbs and $165 and go with the 261 which will handle 75% of what i cut.

don't mean to be a thorn in everyones side but i don't have the money for multiple saws so i want to make the decision on what will suit me best, be most reliable, and give me the best bang for the buck until i can upgrade my saw collection again. :cry:

some things to keep in mind:
im 5' 11" 195lbs
cut 5-10 cord a year
mostly hardwoods - oak, hickory, walnut, locust, in the 16-24" range with 2 or 3 oaks that are 40"+ but i also clear saplings and brush for treestands each year.
I'm currently running a 16" bar on the 025 and 20" on the 044

I'd get the 261cm and have it ported. I've had two of them (unported) and have kicked myself for selling them. They are heavy for a true 50cc saw but they cut fast and have lots of torque. If you get it ported it'll be an animal and will probably be all you need more like 90% of the time.

Haha sorry that was late last night, I mean randy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thankfully my phone let me edit it before randy saw that and refused to work on my saw lol

The older you get, the lighter saw becomes appealing. Other than that, you've got more power in the 362 to buzz through those 10+ cords of wood every year.

Since you're planning to get it ported, the 261 will run close to a 60cc saw anyway, and with less weight.
All the more a consideration with your dad using it. You already have the 044 for the bigger jobs.

Yea I think that's gonna be my wisest decision, grab a new 70cc down the road when the 044 needs another rebuild and I'm tired of it guzzling gas lol

Alright I just wanted to post an update and let everyone know I decided to go with a stihl ms261 c-m from randy, I should have my masterminded saw in 4-5 weeks and I can't wait!!!! Thanks again for all of the Input and advice for a novice like myself

Alright I just wanted to post an update and let everyone know I decided to go with a stihl ms261 c-m from randy, I should have my masterminded saw in 4-5 weeks and I can't wait!!!! Thanks again for all of the Input and advice for a novice like myself

Latest posts

Back