finaly getting my splitter together

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TBrown

TBrown

more saws than I need
Probaly wouldn't be working on this but someone needs to use it. Have most of pieces gathered up except for making hoses now. 18hp briggs, 28gpm two stage, 6" x 29" cylinder, 12x12 beam, auto cycle valve with power beyond, and two spool for future lift and power wings. For now wings are slide on behind wedge. Pic of what i got together today
attachment.php

H-Ranch

H-Ranch

Is there an ECHO in here?
. AS Supporting Member.
Wow! That looks like a monster splitter. Like my fabricator buddy says, "Why use 1/4 inch when 1/2 inch will do?" Nice work!

Is the tire going to be in your way when splitting with that location on the axle? Maybe it's big enough that it would be no problem, but I wouldn't want to get pinched there.

motoman3b

motoman3b

ArboristSite Operative
My H beam is similar size... maybe not quite as wide but make sure you brace the end of the beam well mine is 1/2" thick on top and bottom and it still bent maybe 1/2 to 3/4" on a super knotty piece of wood, but my wedge is 18" tall...

sawkiller

sawkiller

ArboristSite Operative
Nice work! Keep us up to date as it progresses. I had wondered why you could'nt use a vertical shaft engine for a splitter. Thinking of building my own and it seems a vertical shaft might be a little easier to come up with.

TBrown

TBrown

more saws than I need
Well finished the splitter up today, well for now that is. Run it tonight and split some blocks that were laying out. Worked great, had to adjust valve some, the auto cycle doesn't really like 28gpm but is working fine now. The auto cycle and four way make really fast work of 8 to 20 inch blocks. Someday a lift table and outfeed tables will be added. The two spool is plumbed in just nothing hooked to it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

TBrown

TBrown

more saws than I need
Have a few things to change yet. Need to remove metal under the four way wings, and build a six way blade. I don't know how much I have into it exactly, and more to go into it yet. Off the top of my head what i have into it so far is
engine $50
cylinder $150
hyd tank $150
beam $150
pump $400
valves, coupler, pump mount, return filter $600
hoses and fittings $340
wedge, cylinder end mount, mounts, pins, slide, four way, haven't got bill yet
and probaly a good 40 hours of work with more in the future

jags

ArboristSite Guru
Man that thing is a beastie. One suggestion: plate the end with the wedge. It will help to distribute any twisting force that may be applied on the wedge during a tough split.

You should have pretty good cycle times with that combo also. Nice work!:clap:

TBrown

TBrown

more saws than I need
The end with the edge will get some metal added soon, am going to remove the horizontal pieces below the four way and then plate back and box in under the wedge. Right now the wood raises the four way up over time and then has to be dropped back down. Will do this when I build a outfeed grate and a six way, in a month or so. I will put some pics on tonight of the setup with the elevator, and baskets that go in the kiln.

TBrown

TBrown

more saws than I need
Here are some pics of the splitter and elevator at the shop where it will be used. The baskets are going to be filled off the elevator, then they are loaded into the kiln. He is a USDA certified firewood dealer. Didn't run it just enough to check things out. The guys are all out in the woods, this is for muddy days.

attachment.php

attachment.php

TBrown

TBrown

more saws than I need
cylinder was from a local guy, left over stock from long gone heavy equipment parts supplier. It had a huge cast base, probaly a tilt cylinder from an endloader. He has 4 or 6 on the shelf yet

TBrown

TBrown

more saws than I need
I'm in wisconsin, the cylinder has to be over 300 pounds. Just the casting i cut off is over 100 and I can't begin to pick up the rest of the cylinder. I know the guy that has the cylinders wouldn't be interested in shipping it. The end I had made to put in the back of the cylinder is over 50 pounds. It has a 2.5 inch rod. If you want to come pick up a cylinder I'll be glad to help ya out.

Latest posts