finaly got to run my freshly ported 372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.E. Metal Werx

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
well guys i FINALY got to run the saw after my woods port, i went to my dealer-tree service to get a few chains for my buddy. while he was making up the chains i asked if there was any logs he might want bucked up to be split so i could play with the saw. he took me in the yard and said anything you see have at it!. saw setup: woods port (my first port job). removed base gaskit, non-limited coil, front muffler port and also opened up the top port a little. running a 28" bar with full comp square ground chisel and 7 tooth sprocket. i found my self a stack of 5 red oak logs. right at 28" around. tuned the saw with my tack to 14200 and had at it. bucked one log and pulled plug a perfect coffee color (leaning more to the darker then to the lighter color). i was using the full length of the bar and it just kept eating away. i did notice some vibration when i had all of the bar in the log at work. typical? i took the saw to a 8" limb and went through it like it wasnt even there. all and all i am verry happy with the my first port. i never touched the transfers and i also didnt open up the intake at all. with i had vids and pictures but was having to much fun. hope i didnt bore every one that read this!! oh. i was planing on playing with the new 346xp but didnt want to be dissapointed after using the 372. i wll save the for a differnt day. and when i went back in to the dealer. he had a loop of chain for me.. wasnt expecting that!:clap:

You lost port timing when you lowered the cylinder by removing the gasket.
You will notice another nice gain if you get that back plus a little on the intake, I am guessing around .060 inch would be a good start.

i noticed alittle vibration after porting . im running 24" bar and i thinks its because im cutting at much higher chain speed now when compared to stock

i notice it when the bar is geting all it can. all 28" in the wood eating. its not engine vibration. i also think that is it the chain. i did notice after i was cutting my chain was rather loose. possable that? and with the timing and all that. i raised the exhaust port the thickness of the gaskit and i smoothed the intake and polished it, i read in someone elces port thred say that they left it rough?

i left my intake rough, but i doubt it realy makes a difrence smooth or rough.

im pretty sure your just seeing chain vibes. specialy with 28"s in the wood clipn right along.

i left my intake rough, but i doubt it realy makes a difrence smooth or rough.

im pretty sure your just seeing chain vibes. specialy with 28"s in the wood clipn right along.

im assuming you left yours rough for a reason? what might that reason being. i just polished mine becasue.. i thoughts what what a person should do.. (THOUGHT) we all knows what happens when a guy starts the think.. im just wondering what reasons people do things the way they do. JW

suposed to help the fuel stay atomized rather then being polished smooth

but both ways are good probly doesnt matter beans either way, plus leavn it rough doesnt take near as long

When I did my port job I raised the exhaust back to stock maybe a little higher not much and widened the port being careful not to go too wide. I never touched the transfers and I widened my intake a little but I left a lot on the table with the intake. Just remember as you raise the exhaust you lose compression if you widen then you keep compression and still gain more flow but if you go too wide your going to lose a lot of power. There are some good threads on this from Blsnelling.

i widend the the exhaust and also raised the top the thickness of the gaskit, compression is 175

Back