Finding Firewood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshua mason

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Seems as though finding a place to get firewood is gonna be as hard as finding a place to hunt around here. Been asking around and no luck with either. I have been taking all I can get my hands on lately. The hickory and ash I've been burning is gonna run out soon so I don't discriminate, if it burns I take it. Any pointers from you all. I'm about to stand up town with a sign that says will work for hunting and firewood privledges. I think I will stand next to the dominos pizza guys, lol.

Find out where big companies and the state are clearing roadsides and power lines. Hope for an ice storm. I've heard Nat'l forests (and maybe state forests) issue permits for collecting downed and standing dead wood, if one is close enough. Pallets are usually easy to come by. Construction debris may work in a pinch. Intercept people going to the landfill with loads of wood to dump. Good Luck!

PS I also heard somewhere that newspaper works. Soak it well, and roll it into 'logs', let dry. Get all you want from the recycle bins around town.

Many will balk at it but seasoned pine will heat a house just as well as oak, maple, or ash. Yeah it might take a little more work on your end feeding the stove but it sure beats being cold. Search craigslist ads...not the free wood ones, the services offered section. Start calling the smaller companies. Around here, the smaller guys don't have the space/time to deal with firewood. No yard to stockpile means they have to get rid of it NOW. Offer to come and get it from the job site. Also doesn't hurt to bring sports drink and/or a lunch for the crew...$20-30 will get you a ton of wood!

I will see what i can find. I'm not sure but I think the town has a local compost dump. I will check there tomorrow and hopefully come up with something. I also have an old friend that works for the electric company, i sent him a message to see if they ever come across anything. thanks again.

my luck just changed thanks to facebook, lol. a friend of mine has some land that i didnt know about. we r gonna go check it out sometime soon. he already has a couple guys hunting it but atleast it will help with the firewood shortage.

Perhaps look into buying a load of logs. At say $80 a cord, it's hard to justify the time, fuel loading, unloading, etc. tha tit would take to get that same cord of wood.

Anyone know where in NE Ohio you can get a load of logs? I am looking to possibly do that for next season.

Tes

Anyone know where in NE Ohio you can get a load of logs? I am looking to possibly do that for next season.

Tes

I'm in Northern Wisconsin and heat entirely with wood (5 full cords a year) that I collect from the Nicolet National forest with a $20 permit. I'm only 5 miles from the forest, but it's still a lot of work to just get the stuff back to my place for splitting. One year I bought a full load (12 cords) of hardwood 8 foot logs. $85 a cord, delivered. All I had to do was buck and split it. Sure saved me a whole heap of work. All I had back then was a little Stihl MS170. Light as a feather, reliable as dirt, and a pure pleasure to use. I'm thinking of going this rough again. At 66, carrying those 60 pound rounds (thousands of them) over bumpy terrain and through brush to get them back top my truck is more than a workout. But it does keep me in shape. Umm? Decisions, decisions..........

Don <><

Unless fuel prices drop, and people find jobs. I'm affraid that it's going to get worse before it better.

You could always try phoning the small arborist around your area and inquire how much it would be for a truck load of there junk wood delivered to your home , as it comes of the tree.

This is what i did and the arborist said he would put me on his dump list , and i now get wood for free.

The wood you get this way may not be straight or the best burning quality ,but it will keep you warm.

The nearest national forest to NW Ohio is about 150 miles away... And from West Union is about 80 miles. Wish I had one closer too...

i think shawnee national forest have firewood permits. that is about 30 minutes from west union. i was thinking about going that route if i couldnt find anything closer. i ran into an old friend that has been cutting timber locally. he talked to the landowners and said i can take what i want. that will give me plenty for next year for sure. didnt see much standing dead out there when i went and looked it over today. my buddy may also have a couple more timber jobs lined up, so this could workout nice for me. im keeping my fingers crossed.

With the population growing, unemployment, and the cost of home heating oil it gets harder and harder to get firewood every year. When i first started heating with wood in the 70's you could go almost anywhere to get wood. Now everywhere is gated off, no tresspassing etc.. A police radio to keep tabs of road details, ask permission various places, pallets, and permits to state and federal forests are a few options. And has been said pine 3 years old is a viable heat especially mixed with some hard stuff. Good luck in the search. It's my main occupation.

Even though your logger friend talked to the land owners you should meet them prior to doing any cutting. This way everyone is on the same page, avoiding any problems.

i think shawnee national forest have firewood permits. that is about 30 minutes from west union.

I thought the only national forest land in Ohio was the Wayne National Forest. Maybe I was mistaken. There is a Shawnee State Forest near you, but the Shawnee National Forest is in southern Illinois. I have the Maumee State Forest near me too, but they have not had a firewood program in years.

Sure hope your buddy's timber cutting works out for you. I agree with cheeves that it is really getting much harder to find a place to cut wood.

Back