Finding Old Dealers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Crouse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How do you guys have find former power equipment dealers or places that used to carry brands that have since become obsolete?

I'm sure there are several places in the Denver area that used to carry McCulloch and Homelite saws back when they were professional quality stuff. Reading the tales of folks visiting old dealers and buying truck loads of saws and parts is pretty exciting.

Any tips for tracking these places down? Or even better, who knows of old dealers in the Denver, CO area?

Thanks,
Chris

How do you guys have find former power equipment dealers or places that used to carry brands that have since become obsolete?

I'm sure there are several places in the Denver area that used to carry McCulloch and Homelite saws back when they were professional quality stuff. Reading the tales of folks visiting old dealers and buying truck loads of saws and parts is pretty exciting.

Any tips for tracking these places down? Or even better, who knows of old dealers in the Denver, CO area?

Thanks,
Chris

Seems to me that if they knew of a place they would have gone there by now and cleaned it out, or if they haven't had a chance yet, they'd be keeping it a secret
IMHO.
Igpoe:cheers:

Very true. That's why I was round-abouting for tips on how to find the places to begin with! Also, there really isn't a huge saw community around these parts from what I can tell. There are only a few long time AS members near me that I know about.

Have you tried asking old people? Sometimes they remember things that happened many years ago.

Also, you could try contacting the city and finding out where the old landfill was. Then you could go there and dig until you found an old phone book. The saw shop's numbers should be in there.

:cheers:

Have you tried asking old people? Sometimes they remember things that happened many years ago.

Also, you could try contacting the city and finding out where the old landfill was. Then you could go there and dig until you found an old phone book. The saw shop's numbers should be in there.

:popcorn:

Yes, that does provide a couple of options.

Another option would be to check with the nearly 20 dealers within 75 miles of Denver to see if they have any saws under the bench they'd part with, or any abandoned saws that can be picked up for whatever $ the shop has into them.
Shoot me a PM if you'd like me to do a web search for you from my computer in California, and I can email you there exact locations.:rolleyes2:

Perhaps find any older loggers or cutters or old sawmill guys, they might remember some closed down shopsw and who ran them. Any old small engine shops might be good too, they would remember other guys in the biz. Old farmers, they know every place that existed locally to buy any sort of machinery. Mom and pop hardware stores.

Bottom line is, if you want to find out what was shaking in the older days, you have to talk to the older folks.

Perhaps find any older loggers or cutters or old sawmill guys, they might remember some closed down shopsw and who ran them. Any old small engine shops might be good too, they would remember other guys in the biz. Old farmers, they know every place that existed locally to buy any sort of machinery. Mom and pop hardware stores.

Bottom line is, if you want to find out what was shaking in the older days, you have to talk to the older folks.

Cemeteries would probably be going to far though, huh?............:laugh:

"chainsawlady",,homelites

"chainsawlady" over in the homelite thread is the wife of a late saw shop owner. I believe she knows her way around the old homelites and probably macs.
she still has some parts inventory, i believe, and willing to ship. shoot her a p.m.,,i'm sure she'd be glad to help.

Since I turned 50 last Sunday, I am now officially old, and I sometimes remember things that happened many years ago.

But if you start asking where "Earl" is buried, and they see a shovel in your truck, and you ask directions to the landfill, you might get shot......

Hell us old pharts are not too worried about a life sentence, since it would only be a year or two........

Since I turned 50 last Sunday, I am now officially old, and I sometimes remember things that happened many years ago.

Hell us old pharts are not too worried about a life sentence, since it would only be a year or two........
Congrats On hitting the big 50..!! - I got almost 16 on ya.!!

When I had my hip replacement surgery... the hospital did every test in the world...and put me in intensive care..!!

(now I'm NOT insinuating these fine folks were taking advantage of me...they surely wouldn't do that..!!)

And after drawing 99 gallons of my blood for testing in 9 days...(well it seemed like that anyway)...and cat-scans...etc.

They told me I was basically..."WALKING DEAD"...bad heart...bad liver...lung clots...an of course...BAD ATTITUDE..!!

Gave me scripts out the yazoo..which I just promptly tore up..!! - Lined me up for clinic visits....NO FREAKING WAY..!!

Well..amazingly...I'm still kicking - - and other than my general depression...I may live longer that they said.
( Mom says.."I came from good stock"..in that everyone in my family has lived to be 80 or more.)

I know you were joking...and again congrats on hitting 50...!!
J2F

Congrats On hitting the big 50..!! - I got almost 16 on ya.!!

When I had my hip replacement surgery... the hospital did every test in the world...and put me in intensive care..!!

(now I'm NOT insinuating these fine folks were taking advantage of me...they surely wouldn't do that..!!)

And after drawing 99 gallons of my blood for testing in 9 days...(well it seemed like that anyway)...and cat-scans...etc.

They told me I was basically..."WALKING DEAD"...bad heart...bad liver...lung clots...an of course...BAD ATTITUDE..!!

Gave me scripts out the yazoo..which I just promptly tore up..!! - Lined me up for clinic visits....NO FREAKING WAY..!!

Well..amazingly...I'm still kicking - - and other than my general depression...I may live longer that they said.
( Mom says.."I came from good stock"..in that everyone in my family has lived to be 80 or more.)

I know you were joking...and again congrats on hitting 50...!!
J2F

I am sending you a P.M. about those scripts.........Don't tear up anymore!!!!!

As far as the rest, hell, let's go open up a "Hooters"!!!!!!

If we don't make any money right off, and we die, they can bury our smiling carcass with a hooters t-shirt, sling some greasy wings in, slap the lid down, and talk about chainsaws....

I am sending you a P.M. about those scripts.........Don't tear up anymore!!!!!

As far as the rest, hell, let's go open up a "Hooters"!!!!!!

If we don't make any money right off, and we die, they can bury our smiling carcass with a hooters t-shirt, sling some greasy wings in, slap the lid down, and talk about chainsaws....
LOL...!!!

First off...you don't know what the "scripts' were...LOL..!!...It wasn't for any of the "good stuff"..!!

So you know what "Warfarin" (brand name) is..?? - - -It's a blood thinner...in actuality...it's Rat Poison..!!
(they eat it and start bleeding internally..and die)........This is REALLY risky stuff for anyone to take..!!)

Even in the hospital..they couldn't get the dosage right...(up and down)...so I can do it at home on my own..??

I do like the Hooter's idea..!! - Go out smiling - greasy wings - and if we could die in our sleep..who could ask for more..??
J2F

LOL...!!!

First off...you don't know what the "scripts' were...LOL..!!...It wasn't for any of the "good stuff"..!!

So you know what "Warfarin" (brand name) is..?? - - -It's a blood thinner...in actuality...it's Rat Poison..!!
(they eat it and start bleeding internally..and die)........This is REALLY risky stuff for anyone to take..!!)

Even in the hospital..they couldn't get the dosage right...(up and down)...so I can do it at home on my own..??

I do like the Hooter's idea..!! - Go out smiling - greasy wings - and if we could die in our sleep..who could ask for more..??
J2F

Well going out with a greasy Hooter's girl would be close enough for me!!!!!!

Thanks,
Chris

check with a place called longmont tool exchange. i know he has alot of old saws laying around, but not too sure if any are mcCulloch or Homelite saws. its a little far away from you, but might pay out. and if it does let me know..

How do you guys have find former power equipment dealers ........
I'm sure there are several places in the Denver area that used to carry McCulloch and Homelite saws back when they were professional quality stuff. ..................
Thanks,
Chris

In your area I assume Brian Gillman has hit all the shops while running his own shop

But if you start asking where "Earl" is buried, and they see a shovel in your truck, and you ask directions to the landfill, you might get shot......

Ain't he in the trunk? :msp_sneaky:

Very true. That's why I was round-abouting for tips on how to find the places to begin with! Also, there really isn't a huge saw community around these parts from what I can tell. There are only a few long time AS members near me that I know about.

Beating the pavement , lots of winshield time , going thru lots of gas is my method to my maddness;)

Back