Finicky chain adjuster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clearance

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
To start with, I ain't no newbie, I have been running saws for over 20 years. My problem is the chain adjustment on Stihls, specifically the 020, 200T.

I know how tight the chain is supposed to be, here is the problem, when I adjust the chain to where I want it, when I tighten the bar nut, it gets tighter. I always have the bar tip on something as I do this (like with every other saw). I never have this problem with the Huskies I run or have used, and thats many.

So, I have to guess at where I think the chain will end up. Very annoying, no bash at Stihl, it ain't the end of the world, they are great little saws, but what is going on and how do I resolve it?

Thanks/Jim

Last edited:
Loosen the bar nuts, tension it till the chain can be pulled off the middle of the bottom of the bar and it snaps back up to the bar.

Hold the tip of the bar up, and crank down both nuts tight.

If the motor isnt moving in the frame, and the nuts are tight, the tension shouldnt change.

Id replace the clutch/spur, and chain, and give the bar a good dressing and cleaning.

These saws are like this from new, every one I have ever used. When you are at work with lots of guys who have them you will see chains hanging way loose, tighter than a nuns, and in between. Red, I tried what you said, there is only one bar nut on these saws, ended up too tight. Trial and error, I guess. Lake, these saws get used hard, they take a real beating and keep on going. The bars are cheap, I have to admit to running them for a long time with the chain loose. I file bars quite often, I never let them burr or chip.

The screw mechanism must be different than the 200 and most of the 300 series Huskies. Maybe I should investigate a little more, it is just one of those things that irks me. Thanks for your help

that's common with most saw's. when tightening the bar the pin is contacting the front of the hole in the bar, so when you snug the nut's it put's more pressure on the front of the hole in the bar and pulling it forward a little.

My old McCullochs are like that...I try to keep the bar nut slighly snug when I set the tension...seems to help.

These saws are like this from new, every one I have ever used. When you are at work with lots of guys who have them you will see chains hanging way loose, tighter than a nuns, and in between. Red, I tried what you said, there is only one bar nut on these saws, ended up too tight. Trial and error, I guess. Lake, these saws get used hard, they take a real beating and keep on going. The bars are cheap, I have to admit to running them for a long time with the chain loose. I file bars quite often, I never let them burr or chip.

The screw mechanism must be different than the 200 and most of the 300 series Huskies. Maybe I should investigate a little more, it is just one of those things that irks me. Thanks for your help

I always had to use some "kentucky windage" on the bar adjuster of the Husky 353, never had this issue on another saw.

The tighten the front nut first rule doesn't apply to the MS200, as it has only one - but I mention it for others that may read this, as I had to learn it the hard way....

Sorry, Clearance. I didn't read enough into your post to see that all these saws do it to you. I thought you meant on one particular saw. My bad.

My 044 and 353 are both this way. I've got it down now that I know how much slack to leave so when I tighten the bar nuts it snugs up just right. Originally I thought it was crud behind the mating surfaces (bar to pwr. head). I even changed the adjuster on the 044 -- no change.

Yeppers, all mine've done this, too. My Stihls, brand new, do it even when new. When I bought an Echo back in the 70's, my first saw and brand new, the dealer even warned me about it and said I'd get a feel for how much to tension prior to nut tightening. I don't really even think about it, it's so natural now.

Latest posts

Back