Fire starter debate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do some twist newsprint? Knowing some do, a while back I tried it instead of crumpled up newsballs. Took more time and didn't seem to work any better.

It lays flatter than wadded up, so you can build a proper tinder/kindling pile in lasagna fashion.

These details are important to the ritual..lest the tinder Gods be offended.

More importantly, my wife hates newspapers laying about the house...or any paper stuffs, so the newspaper gets twisted and folded into a "Tennesee twist", and placed into one of those antique tall skinny milking buckets outta sight outta mind.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

This could go in Woodbooga's philosophical ax thread, but if there's enough coals you just use your normal firewood, you're not starting a fire. And it's the same fire. Heck, even if use paper & kindling, if I don't strike a match or lighter it's still the same fire, not starting one!

I agree, resurrecting the fire from hot coals, is not starting a new one. A new fire requires an outside source of ignition.

Couple sheets of twisted up newspaper, a handfull of twigs, a Handfull of thumb sized squaw wood, and a couple chunks of wrist sized squaw wood.

Let it go for about 10Min, and toss in small splits of Sassafrass with the regular splits.

I also use table saw scraps when available.
2x4 ends kick things off real nice.

Walt,
Your BIL obviously has more $$$$ than sense.
Go easy on him. He dosn't know Chainsaws have a safe lifespan of 3 years... ya read it in consumers report magazine.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote
dinger--me thinks his bil--has neither $$$ nor sense----not much for brain-but plenty of mouth--people like that,aint got a clue........... i dont have to keep restarting my woodstove--soooooooooo. once lit in fall,dont shut off till warm out--

Don't tell him about my wax soaked sawdust cakes... he'll likely call these guys on me. --Ian
attachment.php

you got to be kidding me--for real???

For my wood stoves I've become a big believer in top-down fire building. I probably heard about it 10 years ago but boy scout training dies hard. Establishes draft much better, much less start-up smoke. I also bought a box of firestarters this year thinking that they might help my wife build fires when I'm gone. She's used them some, but I find no improvement over regular kindling. I build from splits to wrist-sized to finger-sized and light the top with a propane torch. Lumber scraps, pallet scraps, that's good kindling too. Maybe it's a regional thing, but seems to me that newsprint smokes a lot and brown packing paper is even worse, I go with straight wood anymore.

Jack
+1 on the top down method. I do not use kindling anymore as I tried Blue Ridges Wax produce boxes trick( everyone rep him for that) a year ago and it works so good.
Happy New years!
I have to go flip the back bacon I have frying on the wood stove for breakfast

I noticed that one fire starter sold in the stores is an alcohol gel (and it was quite expensive)....

So I tried some cheap 80% rubbing alcohol and it works great. Not too flammable, but will help to get kindling and papers going.

The alcohol I buy has a foil cover over the opening when you remove the cap. I take a ballpoint pen and make a tiny hole in the foil. Then when I squeeze the plastic bottle, a tiny stream shoots out. Thus I can use just a little and the bottle lasts longer.

Because this is not a gel, there is a danger of squirting on too much and it leaking out the bottom of the stove (and causing a fire under the stove). Only squirt the liquid on the wood / kindling / paper. And just a little is all that is needed.

And don't ever squirt it into a hot woodstove. Cold only. If you squirt it into a hot stove, then light it, there will be a BIG fireball which will come out of the woodstove and burn your arms / hands / hair on arms.

Only use the 80% rubbing alcohol. This has a bit of water in it making it safer. Don't use ANY OTHER type of alcohol as these can be VERY flammable.

Might want to experiment with this outside in the BBQ first and have a fire extinguisher handy.

The alcohol I buy has a foil cover over the opening when you remove the cap. I take a ballpoint pen and make a tiny hole in the foil. Then when I squeeze the plastic bottle, a tiny stream shoots out. Thus I can use just a little and the bottle lasts longer.

Please write us WHEN that foil seal fails and you squeeze 1/2 a bottle into your stove - keep a camera handy too :)

Seriously though, would it be too hard to put it in a squirt bottle, the kind with a trigger that can shoot a stream?

The good news is that alcohol is very volatile and will evaporate quickly, in the event of an overdose give it a few minutes and alls well.

Please write us WHEN that foil seal fails and you squeeze 1/2 a bottle into your stove - keep a camera handy too :)

Seriously though, would it be too hard to put it in a squirt bottle, the kind with a trigger that can shoot a stream?

The good news is that alcohol is very volatile and will evaporate quickly, in the event of an overdose give it a few minutes and alls well.

for dozens of years i've used drilled tops on rubbing alcohol and witch hazel and hydrogen peroxide etc. type of toiletries. the foil-only method will work, but i simply keep moving the old cap to the new bottle.

80%? never seen it. all i've seen is 50, 70, and 91% strengths of rubbing alky. i use 91 in place of deodorant, and in the shop.

a heated wire or nail will "drill" a nice hole in the top. experiment with different sizes and number of holes.

another trick for slowing bottle flow is to simply loosen the cap a bit and let fluid trickle over the cap. this is how i water my dogs on the trail when a bottle is what we have.

and heck yeah, keeping a few coals and refiring with a hunk of knotty cedar or two-by scraps is my preferred method.

I get all the scrap from a local saw mill that I want for FREE. But I have found that 2 squirts of hand sanitizer on the middle of a piece of wood works great. I also keep some in a squirt bottle. That stuff will light with one match.

Diesel fuel is much less volatile and but more aromatic.
Spray directly on the wood and let soak for a minute or two. I light a piece of rolled up newspaper and shut the door.
Works well

Diesel fuel is much less volatile and but more aromatic.
Spray directly on the wood and let soak for a minute or two. I light a piece of rolled up newspaper and shut the door.
Works well

Aromatic!!!! :greenchainsaw:

That is not the word I would have chosen for diesel.

For years, I have used scrap cutoffs from the jobsite to start fires. Usually it is the ends of 2x12's from rafters, I hatchet them into sticks and they work fine.
The debate started today when my BIL said that they will cause an unsafe buildup on the chimney walls. Now I wanted to tell him the only buildup was in his bowels but, due to the holiday season I bit my tongue. He insists that he only uses firestarters and the use of anything else is just crazy, I guess he should know best because he has at least four fires a year and I use about twelve cords a season. I am curious what everyone else uses to start up.

Walt41--- Is your BIL related to Clark Griswold's Cousin-in-Law on National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation...... just thought there might be a correlation there!

Hilarious quote form CV----I can just imagine you saying this to your BIL on his visit------
Clark: Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?
Eddie: Naw, I'm doing just fine, Clark.

.:bang:

For my wood stoves I've become a big believer in top-down fire building. I probably heard about it 10 years ago but boy scout training dies hard.

You got that right!
I finally tried the top down method last week, and I don't think I'll ever go back!

I'm getting.... (are you ready for this?)

16 hour burn times!

That's with my Grandpa Bear Fisher, which can hold a LOT of wood. But by stuffing the thing full enough to leave me just a bit of room on top, then putting the coals or starter on top, I get it going and put a few more pieces on top of that. Damp it down, and in 16 hours I have a good bed of coals to start again. Shove the big ones to one side, clean out some ash, and start loading from one side.

It works GREAT!

I can only do that once a day. If I do the same in the morning, now I run out of wood at an awkward time of day. So, I do it once in the evening, then just load wood on top of the embers as needed during the day. Come evening, the cycle repeats.

Walt41--- Is your BIL related to Clark Griswold's Cousin-in-Law on National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation...... just thought there might be a correlation there!

Hilarious quote form CV----I can just imagine you saying this to your BIL on his visit------
Clark: Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?
Eddie: Naw, I'm doing just fine, Clark.

.:bang:

Classic!! I am thinking of inviting him over to test the ice on my pond

speaking of rubbing sticks together...

today i was out there and saw an old dead cedar near a fencerow and thought--hey, more kindling. so i knocked a few chunks out of it.

put the saw up. went over and picked the pieces up---wtf??? it was heavy as hickory. and not red. smelled funny too---just like turpentine.

pitch pine? very rare here. burns like kerosene soaked socks. i'm going to "harvest" all of this stuff.

further research leads me to longleaf pine "fatwood" as most probable. don't known much about them piney trees...i've always lived in the redcedar hills. pine grows here, but only if you plant it.

Last edited:
Back