Fire starting methods...thank you A.S.!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cityevader

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
For years I've been using Trioxane fuel bars (used in Esbit folding stoves, burns for close to 5 minutes) for starting my fires (sometimes two bars to start it). Cost in bulk roughly 50 cents a bar. Stack splitter mess for kindling, progressively larger pieces over the next half hour, etc etc.

BUT, Thanks to this site I discovered two things. 1) Noodling logs lengthwise makes for fabulous tinder to start kindling. Dry it and fill a trash can with lid to keep it dry and you spent maybe 10 cents in fuel to make it!
2) the top down firestarting method completely eliminates any chemical or processed firestarter for a truly "green" heat source, and provides an instant fire...wonderful!!

Thank you folks for the wealth of knowledge I've gotten in the last two months or so!

I save saw "curly fries" from ripping tough rounds in a big 55 gallon drum with lid. That and dry bark/splitting waste makes great fire starting stuff. It reduces the need to burn newspaper as much.

I have a block of some pitch wood , works great , I just split of a Popsicle stick size , and put in with the kindling and it lights up nice and easy

I started using these.

http://www.amazon.com/Starter-Logg-SL12350-Pack-Wood/dp/B0000DH4O3

I can buy them at my local Walmart for $9.00 for a box of 24. But I break them in half so that makes 48 of them and puts the cost at about .19 each. I put that 1/2 brick in the bottom and put 2"-3" rounds on top of them with another larger round or split on top of that. Light it, open the air all the way, shut the door completely and in about 20 min I have a nice secondary burn starting already. Even that 1/2 brick burns for about 30 min in my fireplace. Sawdust and wax makes for a nice combination.

I started using these.

http://www.amazon.com/Starter-Logg-SL12350-Pack-Wood/dp/B0000DH4O3

I can buy them at my local Walmart for $9.00 for a box of 24. But I break them in half so that makes 48 of them and puts the cost at about .19 each. I put that 1/2 brick in the bottom and put 2"-3" rounds on top of them with another larger round or split on top of that. Light it, open the air all the way, shut the door completely and in about 20 min I have a nice secondary burn starting already. Even that 1/2 brick burns for about 30 min in my fireplace. Sawdust and wax makes for a nice combination.

:agree2:

Same for me only I split mine into 1/4's length wise (break it in half and break the half in half) one box will last me an entire season. It's worth the ten bucks to me to not have to sit a twist newspaper, just sit it in the bottom and light. :cheers:

I have not yet tried this method - but I am gathering up the supplies. You are supposed to use the wood fiber egg cartons and fill the bottoms with sawdust or lint from your clothes dryer filter. Then take your old candles and melt them and pour the melted wax onto the chips/lint in egg carton cups.

Why mess around?

Although not anywhere near as "green" as your methods I load the owb with rounds, throw in 2 road flares and close the door. No need to even check it, it's raging in 10 minutes.:popcorn:

my neighbor is a framer and he brings me all the 2X4 ends that are left over. I split them as small as possible, you can get that kiln dried lumber to flame up if you stare at it long enough (well almost).

I'll use my gas log starter when I feel extra lazy... otherwise a few pieces of newspaper does the trick.

my JUCA insert uses original firebrick bottom complete with ash dump and natural gas log starter.

Latest posts

Back