Fire starting methods...thank you A.S.!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My neighbor does wht Oldbajo said with the egg cartons my girlfriend gets
them from work and gives them to her she puts saw dust in the bottom and
melts wax on top .it might be paraffin not sure but they work great 2 on
the wood with kindling from under the splitter and you just walk away they
burn for about 10 minutes.

I Just started found a new way to start my fires that hasn't failed yet.

I get 2 small round logs (4-6" round), I place then in the middle of the stove about 4-5" apart. Roll/crumple up some news paper lightly and place it in between the logs. I then split some rought cut Cedar into small .5"-1" strips and lay it on top of the paper and a few running over everything from log to log. Lastly I place a small split piece at a slight angle running over top of the 2 logs. Light the paper close the doors and come back later..

Works every time.. Until I run out of cedar and small logs

Like many other posts, reuse is a cornerstone of fire starting for my Jotul CB3 (small but throws off more than enough heat for my house :clap:)

When cold, I start with a layer of crumbled up newsprint, top that twigs and small branches that fell in the yard (broken into small pieces and stored in plastic totes), top that with chunks from splitting waste or cutting logs to length, and then top with a small log or two.

When warm, I do mostly the same thing but have enough coals to skip the need for newsprint.

With these free and always available resources (thanks to a little collection work), I can't bring myself to buy anything (like starter logs) to get the fire going.

"free"??.....What is free today????.....Sounds like tax payers are paying for them.......

I take it you didnt read post #40 before you posted this remark?:clap:
Scooter,I like your method,simple,cheap and effective. I have an old box of flares i was going to get rid of,now I have a reason to keep them.

I rake up all the wood by product that falls to the ground after running the splitter. I place it in black 55 gallon drums loosely covered to keep the rain out.
Drums are placed in the sun all summer long so the moisture escapes.
Makes great fire starting kindling.

+1! Even the bark that falls off while splitting will work as tinder when you dry it out. I also use the cutoffs and waste ripping strips from my woodshop, lathe turnings, and planer shavings. These are spectacular firestarters.

cold stove liquid kindling

A little charcoal lighter with splitter refuse does a fine job. Be quick with a match if the stove is warm though. I use Stodard solvent in my parts washer, after it gets loaded with grease and oil from dirty parts it works even better for fire starting than new.

Last edited:
Anyone ever try dryer lint from your laundry dryer, I don't know where my wife came up with the idea but after seeing her use it works damn well. Try it for **** and giggles:)

I go out once a year and take my winch and winch old pine stumps out of the ground, pine knot then split them into small chunks nothing on earth quite like a pine knot for starting a fire. One match type starting your in business.

I save saw "curly fries" from ripping tough rounds in a big 55 gallon drum with lid. That and dry bark/splitting waste makes great fire starting stuff. It reduces the need to burn newspaper as much.

My #1 method also. When building the fire up in the morning it works good on top of a few pieces of dry wood to get the draft flowing strong quick. Easy and cheap to keep a good supply. Just carry your empty dog food sacks in your wood truck and fill them up when making noodles or cleaning out a dry truck bed.

Latest posts

Back