Firewood and Utility ATV Trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coppcar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings from N. WI, Bayfield to be exact. I've been lurking for a couple of years and finally have something to share.

Beginning this last spring, I began to clear a section of the property to prepare for an extension to the driveway. Part of this project was to dig out my little used Craftsman re-badged Poulan 3700 and get a trailer for my ATV. The wood was exposed to the summer sun and has now been stacked and covered in preparation for winter. My new soapstone wood stove arrives next month.:clap:

I very much enjoy managing my 20 acres of forest and look forward to tending a fire. I'm also building a network of trails to collect wood, release favorable trees and give me a place to hunt and snowshoe during the winter. I really love it here. It's much nicer than my previous existence in the Red River Valley of ND/MN.

My hat is off to all of you for the great info shared here.

Here some pics that I hope you enjoy.

AtvWagon.jpg

trailerlift.jpg

http://netcrafting.com/atv/trailerlift2.jpg
http://netcrafting.com/atv/trailerbrakes.jpg
http://netcrafting.com/atv/woodpile.jpg

Good havin' ya!!!

It's nice having too many trees for a change ain't it!:yoyo:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Nice wood pile!! Looks like that trailer would come in handy. I'm sure you'll enjoy this site. I've learned a lot from this bunch.

I put two pictures in post #6. One of them shows a bracket on the tongue I had a guy weld for me. A Bull Dog jack, from TSC, pins to it so that when the trailer is loaded I can crank it up, picking the front tires off the ground, and turn it in the garage by hand when loaded with one weeks worth of wood. The jack is removed when towing the trailer because the tongue is very short and very low. If I were to do it again I would rotate the round pinning collar, that come with the jack, a few degrees so the jack is 90 degrees to the ground when the trailer is raised. Mine is welded 90 degrees to the tongue. When raised the jack is slanted: jack 90 degrees to the tongue which is at a 25 plus/minus degree slope. The rub is the jack wheel does not swivel well if the jack is not plumb, especially with 2/3 of a face cord or what? 1200 plus pounds dry oak. Most trailer, being very long by comparision, have little effect on the plumbness of the jack in the raised position. It really is helpful because these tandem axle trailers are hard to turn by hand even when empty. The nice thing is there is little tongue load and you can haul a lot, unhook and it stands alone. The limiting factor is probably what can be safely STOPPED, as apposed to what can be pulled.

My 15CF John Deere trailer works great for getting wood out of the woods and makes a handy place to throw split wood. I am using a workmate for a table. It is what I had on hand and it saves from doing a lot of bending over and picking up. I am following what other have said about posting pics to back up ones claims.

Nice trailers guys.. very jealous..

here's mine.. I made it to tow behind my Jeep.. Jeep is well.. "parked" for now

trailero.jpg

Nice little trailers.

A work mate for a outfeed working table! Thats funny. Hey I gotta give you credit, Thats getting your moneys worth out of it. Sometimes ya just gotta adapt.

My work mate is just the right height to use with my 25 ton Speeco. No welding or fabricating was necessary.;)
Glad I could put a smile on your face.

Workmate is a great idea. I use to just let the wood splits pile up for a work table. I thought it might also deter theft figuring someone would have to move a lot of wood before they could pull the splitter out. It worked okay. Made a table out of stuff I had around last year. So much easier all the way around. Well, it takes a two wheel hand truck to move, but so what. Pictures are a bit blurry but you get the jist of it. Now when I tow it somewhere I'll be taking the Workmate along. Thanks!

My work mate is just the right height to use with my 25 ton Speeco. No welding or fabricating was necessary.;)
Glad I could put a smile on your face.

Well how about that. I finally have a use for the old man's workmate my brother and I bought him for christmas in 1989. Maybe now he'll get it out of the basement corner where it's been sitting since somewhere around January of 1990.

(That actually would be sweet next to my 22 ton splitter! Maybe I should just ask if he's ready to get rid of "that old junk":))

Oh and coppcar, very nice first post! That's how you do it boys! Pics of the woodpile, saws, and trailer along with a thanks and some personal background. It sure beats one of my first that was titled with something to the effect of "Me see big tree, Me cut down"!

Last edited:
ATV's and Trailers

You fellows have some nice setups. It is nice to be able to have a place to cut and a means to haul it out easily.

Nosmo

Latest posts

Back