Firewood cutting accidents

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No personal injury here, but a bit of hurt pride.

I'd just bought my 290, and was taking down a birch tree that needed to be pulled down to get it where I needed it, and I was working by myself. I got the rope around the tree and hooked to the tractor, made the face cut, then tightened the rope & set the parking brake. As I made the back cut, the tree started to go, then spun on the stump. I dropped the saw and hauled tail out of the way, and of course the tree landed on the saw.

New front handle, filter cover, and control lever, and it was back in action, but it still has a couple pieces of cracked plastic to remind me not to try borderline stuff, especially by myself. Had that one landed on me, I could very well have been there a long time.

No serious injuries for me. I had a couple of close calls this year. I threw a chain and it did a pretty good number on my chaps. I also was using a Stihl 131 polesaw and had a branch come down right on me hitting my head. Hurt pretty good but luckily I was wearing my helmet.

Just a few bumps and bruises for me over 15 years. Just last weekend had a 26 inch round roll over my foot. Was cutting on a hillside with the log below me so it would roll away from me. When I was on top, cutting the backside I saw a small limb under it and thought it would roll over that no problem. When I cut through it fell about 8 inches landed on the limb and came right back at me. I was standing in some brush and couldn't get away. One of those times when I just should of known better.

Worst close call I had was in spring of '98 cleaning up after a rough winter. Ice storm had torn down a pine grove at my dad's farm. I was taking limbs off in a tangled pile when the limb I cut was holding down a small hickory tree. The other end of the limb was under another tree. So when I cut the limb the hickory stood back up by swinging under the cut limb an smacked me hard in the chest. Knocked me over backward while I still had the saw wide open. I was thinking enough to keep my arms straight and stuck the saw in the ground over my head. When I caught my breath (about 5 minutes later) I was so mad I took an axe to the hickory for beating me up and sticking my chain in the dirt. I still look at the entire limb and what it my be holding down before I cut anything now.

Nothing so far that duct tape and iodine hasn't fixed.

Iodine AND ductape : Was getting pretty wore out and moving around without setting the chain brake. Hooked my left foot, went to pull and when it came out I clenched, jazzed the saw and my left knee made contact with the moving chain. 10-12 stitches would have fixed it right up , if I had went in.

Just ducttape : Took the toe out of a new pair of leather work shoes, my foot still in them, with the saw at full tilt. I was wore out that time too. Trying to finish the brushing before putting up for the day. The tip caught a branch just under the one I was cutting, popped up and ruined that shoe. I felt it hit the big toe and was sure it was going to leave a mark. Ended up graizing the top of the nail about 3/16" inch from the cuticle. Been a lot more careful about where the tip is and where I am or parts of me are in relationship to the path of possible kickback ever since.

It has been pretty uneventful for quite a while now since I quit a little sooner in the day.

Last edited:
Semi related here: How many more lefties are on here? I have to force myself to stay out of the way of my saws, natural instinct for me puts the bar in the center of my body, bad place for it. I try to cut right handed as much as possible, but it's hard to overcome what "feels right". Maybe we need left handed saws! Any oldies out there with a left side chain?

fellow southpaw here. Like you said, try to work right handed, but its hard, especially when felling

I am right handed, left-eye dominant.I shoot and cut wood using a left-hand trigger.I have been doing this for 40 years, so I figure it would be folly to change now.I know my right hand is stronger, and it keeps the saw where it belongs.

I have never had any thing serious in 15 years acouple of nicks but my dad has .
About 40 years ago he was ripping some big eucalyptus logs that where to big to load in rounds. It had been drizzling most of the day and he was down to the last two when the saw got pinched and kicked back into his left shoulder.He was about seven back miles off the main road and by the time he made it there he had lost a lot blood and knew he could drive no further luckly a laundry truck came by.It took eighty stitches to close luckly there was no permanent damage.
There was also the time a tree fell on him in his truck but that another story.

No major injuries here myself, but I have see some could have been bad ones...I watched my dad take a rope lashing about 25' in the air...They had the rigging tied above him and I told them it was going to swing into him, but I was just a dumb kid...My brother was knocked out when a knot flew out of a peice of oak and hit him in the head while splitting...A friend of my dads cut thru his coveralls, pants and long underware, but never broke the skin...The same friend cut his sons forehead w/ the saw when he was picking up a peice of fire wood...

Yep... The chain is sharp

Last Sat while taking the cover off the bar, bare handed, while keeping an eyeball on a 3 yr old, as I gripped the cover and slid it off, a tooth cut through the bottom and took a mighty good size diamond shape chunk out of my middle finger. Dang that bled, had not even started cutting yet! I did however give myself credit for getting the chain plenty sharp!

Another lefty here. Do they even make lefty chainsaws? I'm so used to doing it right-handed that I would probably find it akward now.

I've not done any damage to myself (yet), but I've cut a bit out of my boot a time or two. After reading all these posts I think I'll get me some chaps and a helmet. Being overly cautious is better than lost flesh.

Since I am just getting into using a chainsaw I don't have any stories other than when using an electric chainsaw make sure the chain has stopped moving before clearing noodles (ask me how I know).

Shari

got my chaps and not my leg last fall

chaps003.jpg

no injuries to myself. Seen alot of people in the ER. Only damage that i've done is took my rear window out of the truck on friday, it no has a new window and a headache rack:greenchainsaw:

Back