Firewood Galore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here some Hard Maple, Beech, and Ash that I pulled out in a couple afternoons! :)
Sorry the Pic is rotated.

heres an oak that unfortunately had to be removed. you can see from the who;e tree pic where a limb came down. my dad came up with a husky 3120 sporting a 38" bar and i had my 395 with a 34" bar. first picture is my girl holding the tape on the first round which is 58". second picture is about mid way thur the tree. third one is the rounds, just a couple of them. we figured the rounds where in the 1,000 -1,500 pound catergory. last pic is the whole tree, lower left of the tree(little blue speck) is my daughter who was about 4' tall at the time of the picture.

Last edited:
heres an oak that unfortunately had to be removed. you can see from the who;e tree pic where a limb came down. my dad came up with a husky 3120 sporting a 38" bar and i had my 395 with a 34" bar. first picture is my girl holding the tape on the first round which is 58". second picture is about mid way thur the tree. third one is the rounds, just a couple of them. we figured the rounds where in the 1,000 -1,500 pound catergory. last pic is the whole tree, lower left of the tree(little blue speck) is my daughter who was about 4' tall at the time of the picture.

Looked like a nice sawlog in there, a csm would have been the ticket with that 3120 or 395 on hand.:jawdrop:

I can say with absolutely no doubt, clear conviction, total honesty, and a great deal of experience that nothing, and I mean nothing, splits better than Fur.

If you're talking about logs, though, cedar splits better than fir. :cheers:

You burn cedar? ;)

Cedar logs here are going for almost 2 times the price of Doug fir. Doug fir burns pretty well, but not quite the heat as oak. Also on alder, it is light, but burns nice and evenly. Smells good too, and is great for cooking with. And from my limited experience, alder splits better than cedar does ;)

Last edited:
ironpig, did you mean 58 inches around or diameter, I usually go by diameter since it relates to the bar size, but whatever.

i do have to say cedar smells pretty nice. It splits pretty easy too. What do guys think FUR or Cedar is easier?

I think we all know which one burns better. da fur. I love Fur it must be the best soft wood.

ironpig, did you mean 58 inches around or diameter, I usually go by diameter since it relates to the bar size, but whatever.

i do have to say cedar smells pretty nice. It splits pretty easy too. What do guys think FUR or Cedar is easier?

I think we all know which one burns better. da fur. I love Fur it must be the best soft wood.

Around here, the BLM and ODF will not let you cut or collect cedar for firewood. I burned some cedar a few years ago, but it was pretty sucky wood for heat.

cedar

yeah, good kindlin though. (thats spelled kindelling I think, oh hell.)
alder is like a weed around here. there is so much of it its rediculous, try some for smoking salmon or some fire grilled steaks. mmmmm.
It seems to burn hot, quick,but , and it seasons very fast. It seems to leave a lot of ash ,with fast seasoning comes fast rotting. a good backup.

Last edited:
I turned this tree:

2007-12-28002.jpg

2007-12-28003.jpg

and one other oak into about 8 stacks like this:

2007-12-24053.jpg

Ironic thing is that I don't even have a fireplace. I was just payed to haul it all off (no, I wasn't the one that dropped that tree.) and thought I'd cut, split, and stack it and have something to sell for a little extra money. I've already sold about $500 of wood in the last couple of months.

Saturday

Anddddd, this is what I did saturday and sunday this past weekend. I got one more dump load unsplit that I still have to finish and some more left over from the other 2 loads. This was about a 40 or so inch Ash tree that gave us 3.5 dump truck loads of wood. Talk about a beast. Not to mention it was -6F outside when we were working. We used my 7900/5100/510/ and my 288/266XP's. I figgered I'd give'em all a run. Course I couldn't pry the 7900 and the 510 out of my buddy's hands, lmao... That punk, hehehehehehe... Some of the tree is still there as it was frozen in the ground from the fall... Cheers eh?

:cheers:

Last edited:

58" across the log. i think cedar is easier splitting had a bunch hear i also had taken down. for some reason somebody thought they would make a great privacy wall.

All of these pictures are taken in the Rodeo-Chediski burn area near Heber, AZ. If it looks barren, it's because it is. However, the wood is great because it is already well seasoned and debarked.

My two white Cummins and my Buddy's black something. Notice my wife posing with my helmet and two local boys jamming on their saws as though they were their guitars.
attachment.php

Same program, different angle. Notice my wife enjoying her time being taller.
attachment.php

How do you get more than one cord of oak on a shortbed truck???
attachment.php

Hackberry Burns Hot!

Here's a half truckload of one of my favorite firewood species, all ready for the stove:
HackberryLoad.jpg

Hackberry. This has been drying since the tree was cut down on Memorial Day in 2006. I recommend at least one year of drying time if cut in the spring or summer.

When cut green, this wood is heavy--at least as dense as oak, and tougher to split. When it dries, it has about the same density as red elm. It burns very well and lasts in the stove about the same as red elm and mulberry--not quite as long as oak or locust. However, it starts burning immediately and is thus easy to light.

The bark starts to drop off after about a year, indicating that the wood is ready. It turns to a spalted white color like the picture shows. The bark is rather thin and hard as nails, thus excellent for kindling. You can't go wrong with hackberry unless you try to burn it green. Forget that. Dry or nothing. However, if you have patience and wait on it, you will be rewarded.

Here's a half truckload of one of my favorite firewood species, all ready for the stove:
HackberryLoad.jpg

Hackberry. This has been drying since the tree was cut down on Memorial Day in 2006. I recommend at least one year of drying time if cut in the spring or summer.

When cut green, this wood is heavy--at least as dense as oak, and tougher to split. When it dries, it has about the same density as red elm. It burns very well and lasts in the stove about the same as red elm and mulberry--not quite as long as oak or locust. However, it starts burning immediately and is thus easy to light.

The bark starts to drop off after about a year, indicating that the wood is ready. It turns to a spalted white color like the picture shows. The bark is rather thin and hard as nails, thus excellent for kindling. You can't go wrong with hackberry unless you try to burn it green. Forget that. Dry or nothing. However, if you have patience and wait on it, you will be rewarded.

I like your avatar pic looks like you got er piled to the top of the cab and handling it pretty good i also haul in with a couple of rangers and pile it in till the headlights are shinen to the sky.

Back