Stihl to Husky conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not following here…..but it’s early and I’m still on cup #1.
Screws that thread into plastic have large coarse threads. Screws that thread into metal have fine threads. The previous owner of the saw must have had a bunch of the plastic screws because he put 80% of the saw together with them
75 to 80 CC and 36 inch bar buried is a curious specification. Buried in what ?
Curious because you think it doesn’t sound like enough saw for a 36”? And buried in any tree 34+ inches. I removed a ~40” Red Oak this summer that really showed the lack of power, a 4’ hollowed out Maple, and my most recent “big” tree was. 4 1/2’ pine. I do a lot of what I call “big” tree removals.
The MS461 is the biggest saw I have owned so far and has done okay with skip tooth chains. But, I am sure I would be happier with a little more power.

Curious because you think it doesn’t sound like enough saw for a 36”?

Yeah. You can obviously make it work for the occassional odd tree . But, if you are almost exclusively big oaks, beech, hickory, etc. then it will be lacking something. Like the majority of what you find around here on old home places where people have gotten afraid of them close to the house and want them cut up and gone.

If you can find a 288xp, the power to weight ratio is unbeatable in my opinion. It is definitely an older saw, but you can still find them and they will run a 36" bar with no problem. I have a ms461, 395xp ported, 372xp, and have rebuilt and ran a 288xp. All good saws, but the 288 hangs with the 395 and is a lot lighter.

A 461, while a very good mid sized 76 cc work saw, especially after a little bit of cylinder and muffler work and limiter removal, is not big enough for serious 36 inch bar type work unless very occasional only or limbing or small stuff lying on the ground (no bending over) . I reckon a 461 is best with 25 inch 3/8 or 20 inch 404.
If you want to run a 36 buried, look at the 592 or 395/394 or 660/661

Send the 461 here if you need all the holes repaired with helicoils.

For the 36" bar move up to something over 90cc like the 395XP that will oil and pull the 36" or a 42" with no issues. Just my educated 2cts. If bucking you want the beastly thing.

I will start at the beginning. I started a tree removal business in May of 2022. I did some research and decided to buy used Stihl saws except for my climbing saw. I bought a new Echo 355T and I have loved it ever since I pulled the limiters out of it about a month ago. I have an ms270 and an ms461. The guy I bought the 461 from wrecked it by putting plastic screws (large coarse thread) in to machine screw (fine thread) holes.
The only local Stihl dealer is impossible to get along with anymore, but the local Husky dealer is a great guy whom I have also rented a lot of equipment from. The 461 is miserable to use at this point and I am tired of throwing good money at a bad saw. I do run a 36” bar more than anything to “stand up and buck” (thank you, Buckin’ Billy Ray!) and because I do cut many large trees here in New Hampshire.
The 461 is a 76cc for those that may not know. While it is a little anemic at times with the 36” bar it’s a fair trade-off for a 14.6lb. Power head.
This all leads to my question. What new Husqvarna saw will be a suitable replacement for my ms461 and will run a 36” bar? Thank you all in advance.
Our store sells Husqvarna. The 572 or 372 are both strong saws. The 395 is a beast and will power anything you need. The main difference in the 5 and 3 series is the ignition. The 5 is more advanced and runs a little higher RPM. The last two numbers correspond with the engine size. The Cust's who bought the 5 series saws have been thrilled.

If you can find a 288xp, the power to weight ratio is unbeatable in my opinion. It is definitely an older saw, but you can still find them and they will run a 36" bar with no problem. I have a ms461, 395xp ported, 372xp, and have rebuilt and ran a 288xp. All good saws, but the 288 hangs with the 395 and is a lot lighter.
I actually just missed out on a 288. I told to let me sleep on it and it was market sold the next morning.

That is one of the saws I am considering. I went in and told him that I was looking for a 75-80 cc saw that I would need to pull a buried 36” bar on from time to time. I believe his recommendation was the 372 or 572. My research shows that these are 71-72 CC’s ( I can’t remember). I only talked to him about new saws briefly because I was running late. I am really looking for some real world feedback on the Husqvarna saws. I have never run one, and I don’t want to buy one for $1300-$1500 and be unhappy with it.

Why not just buy the 592XP? That saw would be very good with a 36” bar or even bigger. I would also get a light bar and you should be set. Just my .02 cents !

Back