Firewood moving from PA to VA, laws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burns

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I had planned to move some firewood from a lot I own in PA to my home in VA. I just started reading about the laws governing the movement of firewood. Does anyone know specifically what the laws would be governing movement from PA to VA, as this appears to be state-specific? I would have to get through MD as well.

If you have any info on the legalities and penalties associated, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Burns

how much wood are you moving? small fries can get away with most any "restrictions"

You don't have to go to VA to get into trouble. Moving firewood out of a quarantined area in PA to another region within the state can be a major headache.

EAB
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_007199.pdf
Moving firewood outside of the quarantine area could not only prove devastating to our forests but it is also illegal. Violators will face criminal charges and fines of $300 per violation as well as possible imprisonment. Civil penalties of up to $20,000 per violation may also be assessed.
Thousand cankers disease
http://www.pa.gov/Pages/NewsDetails.aspx?agency=Agriculture&item=16278#.VLy2WS4YGSp

PA recinded the EAB ruling as they determined it was not hindering EAB movement. However that new cherry fly here in Berks county might pose issues.

I'm guessing every state will have laws regulate interstate firewood transportation. Ohio and Connecticut have great big signs on the interstates heading in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

PA recinded the EAB ruling as they determined it was not hindering EAB movement. However that new cherry fly here in Berks county might pose issues.

I'm guessing every state will have laws regulate interstate firewood transportation. Ohio and Connecticut have great big signs on the interstates heading in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

OK - looks like it isn't a quarantined area anyway.

To clarify, I'm just talking about taking a small tree or half-tree back with me when I stop by my lot to clear the most recently fallen tree, most of which aren't too big. This isn't a big operation, just an occasional thing.

There are several counties that have quarantined firewood in PA now. You will likely have to check your specific county to verify if there is a current quarantine. However, there is an even greater likelihood that VA might have established rules regarding bringing firewood into your location. It has certainly gotten confusing, and ignorance of the law can be expensive. Though not likely that your small truck load would attract attention of inspectors, you may still be unwittingly spreading disease and or invasive pests.

If you get pulled over for any reason, I don't like your chances of getting a pass on the firewood. Any heavy load is going to draw attention and is ripe for inspection.

I'm from PA, but I spend a lot of time in MD/DC/VA, and I maintain a rental property in Annapolis, MD. The states and local municipalities are very protective of the Chesapeake watershed, including the trees and other wild plants in riparian areas. I can't quote you regulations and penalties, but I know they can be very steep in those areas.

There are several counties that have quarantined firewood in PA now. You will likely have to check your specific county to verify if there is a current quarantine. However, there is an even greater likelihood that VA might have established rules regarding bringing firewood into your location. It has certainly gotten confusing, and ignorance of the law can be expensive. Though not likely that your small truck load would attract attention of inspectors, you may still be unwittingly spreading disease and or invasive pests.

This is good info

NY State has a form to move firewood .

Self-Issued Certificate of Origin for Transport and Possession of Untreated Firewood In accordance with ECL Part 192.5, Firewood Restrictions to Protect Forests from Invasive Species, persons who cut and transport Untreated Firewood, from a New York source, for personal use must complete and possess this Self-Issued Certificate of Origin from the Department of Environmental Conservation.
1. Name of transporter:
2. Street Address, City, State, Zip Code:
3. Origin of transported firewood (Village, Town or City):
4. Destination of firewood being transported (Village, Town or City):
5. Approximate volume being transported (cords, face cords, cubic feet, truckload, etc.):
I understand that this Untreated Firewood shall not be moved more than 50 miles from it’s origin (the village, town or city where the trees were grown, as determined according to the regulation). I further understand, under the regulation, that no person shall transport Untreated Firewood into New York State from any other State or country. I hereby affirm that under penalty of perjury that information provided on this form and all attachments submitted herewith is true to the best of my knowledge and belief. False statements made herein are punishable as a Class A misdemeanor pursuant to Section 210.45 of the Penal Law. Printed Name of Transporter: ______________________________________________ Signature of Transporter: __________________________________________________ Date: ___________________

I keep a few in my truck because I have to go through state lands when I bring my wood out of my land the DEP and DEC police are everywhere since NYC water supply is very close . Out of state wood is not allowed to be brought into the state . My understanding is that treated/kiln wood or commercial loggers there is no restriction

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/selfisscert.pdf

Bunch of nonsense. .id move wood at night under a tarp if your worried about being pulled over

Latest posts

Back