firewood prices by area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
selling for $300 a cord, seasoned for a year, i see many of these so called firewood guys cutting logs, splitting and advertising as "dry wood". my logs come out of the bush this winter, split next fall and sold the following winter. ps nothing wrong with the term face cord up here, its exactly that, the face of a cord 4x8x16"

Around here I am hearing $150 - $200 per cord, people are definately getting more though in certain places. I couldn't even begin to imagine what they are getting per cord down in the city.

Holy ......cow! Here in Northern Lower Michigan, it goes for about $35.00 to $40.00 per face cord, delivered, pulp cord goes for about $80.00. At some of your prices, wouldn't it be cheaper to burn gas ?

Dry oak,split,driveway delivery(not stacked)has been running between 225 and 250 a cord. About the same for almond, walnut is a bit less. Soft wood,doug fir, cedar,pine go for 150 a cord and up. The price will vary a bit but these numbers are a fair idea of whats going on around here. Orchard wood used to be a good cheap source of firewood but most orchard removals go directly into chippers now. That and the liability problem with people you don't know running saws on your property have almost driven the little guy out of the firewood business .

How can anybody actually get away with selling pine for firewood? Around here they don't appreciate that too much.

Here you can sell; oak, hickory, maple, ash, beech, etc without any problems.
Special requests would be; cherry, apple, pear, plum, etc.
You CAN'T sell; pine, spruce, tulip, elm, willow, hemlock, etc.

treeman82 said:
How can anybody actually get away with selling pine for firewood? Around here they don't appreciate that too much.

The world is different in other places Matt. I've got a guy buying junk pine logs from me for $50 a cord.He has an outdoor boiler and just wants cheap wood and I'm more than happy to oblige.

I sell pine and hemlock for campfire wood. People like the snap, crackle, pop. Plus, the burning chips flying out and landing in someone's lap is always good for a laugh.

You CAN'T sell;

treeman82 said:

Why? Because of controls placed by the state or because people will not buy these kinds of wood? Personally, I like to burn Elm....difficult to split but burns well.

Newfie said:
Seasoned in my area was going for $185-$230 for a full cord.Most guys are completely out for a month now.

I guess if you're completely out of wood early in the season, you priced it too low. If you're not selling for at least 25% more than last year, try picking up a newspaper, fuel costs went up this year! Maybe next year shoot for more...:laugh:

Around here, face cords are going for $125 to $145. You'll see guys selling for $90 or $100 a face cord (last years price), but they're the hobby wood guys that sell 4 or 5 cords a year and they run out in September. The quality of wood is usually suspect too.

At $145 it is definitely cheaper to heat with gas, unless you have one very efficient furnace.

I'm curious what kind of woods they sell as firewood in the Pacific Northwest.

Doug Fir really isn't that soft. It is a preffered building wood by many old time carpenters for floor joists, stairs, anywhere strength and stability is needed.

I 'm just going to throw this one out, if you were going to classify trees with needles as softwoods and decidious trees with leaves as hardwoods, which is about the way the logging industry classifies trees. The Doug Fir is harder than many of the so called hardwoods, by far. Just a little trivia.

Larry

I just got an e-mail from a member of the FDNY. He found a flyer from last year in the city for firewood prices, obviously it's gone WAY up this year.

Matt,
I found the firewood flyer I told you about. It's from 11/04.
1/4 face cord $69.00
1/2 " " 125.00
face cord 4'x8'x16" 215.00
25 cherry logs 50.00
oak kindling, 30 lb. 10.00

That's manhattan pricing, and it's over a year old. Probably a cord is going for well over $800 now

Well, for use in my another bus of mine, I will most likely have a semi in about 4 months, so we'll have to wait til next season. Unless we take your dump truck full..... How much will it hold?? They way I figure it, at 4mpg, it'd only cost us $1300-$1400 in fuel, so.... I'll start packing, holler when your loaded and ready.

Back