firewood prices by area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesurgeon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
do you guys sell firewood by the face cord or by the cord. what price are you getting for your area. a face cord out here is selling for 60 to 85 a cord. thats split, dried and delivered 4x8x16"

Use of the term cord or any portion thereof is ILLEGAL in Massachusetts. Firewood must be sold by the cubic foot. Please see the cut and paste from a state document from the consumer affairs division dated 12/1/05.

Beware Loose Talk, Fuzzy Math and "the Dump"
Massachusetts law specifically prohibits the terms "cord", "face cord", "pile" or "truckload" from being used in advertising the sale of cordwood or firewood.
The first stacking of firewood is the legal measurement and doesn't necessarily happen on your property after delivery.
Sellers are required to disclose their name and address, the amount of cubic feet sold and price charged on the customer's invoice or delivery ticket.
A standard pickup truck full of loose firewood that "should be about a cord" is simply NOT a cord. If anything, it might be a "face cord", which is roughly one-third of 128 cubic feet.
Beware the dump! Get a delivery receipt attesting to the quantity sold and stack it tightly and promptly. Measure and take pictures. If the quantity delivered is less than promised, contact your local weights and measures office or the Division of Standards at (617) 727-3480.

Seasoned in my area was going for $185-$230 for a full cord.Most guys are completely out for a month now.

We're getting $250 delivered and stacked but that's driving it to San Antonio. We have a rep on a street corner that takes orders and we load six cords on a flat bed here. Wages, fuel, time considered it's very profitable.

Redbull said:
I'm getting $200/cord and $125/ 1/2 cord here in Kansas City.

I guess I forgot to mention that this includes delivery, but not stacking. If they want it stacked, that price gets assesed depending on where on the property they want it stacked. It can be up to an extra $50 to stack.

i guess I'm doing OK selling it for 240 a cord. is anyone out there getting any insane amount for wood. Ive had some people tell me some high prices, but there usually was a reason like, deliver it up a stair case or elevator.

fishhuntcutwood said:
You'll see a cord in the paper around here for $100-$150.

Jeff

is there any possible way to profit on selling a cord for 100 bucks. seems to me that even getting the wood for free and having very low overhead would be a more of a hobby than a business. maybe the Chinese are working in your neighborhood.

treesurgeon said:
is there any possible way to profit on selling a cord for 100 bucks.

See now your first mistake is thinking about this logically.;) You'll discover that many people in the firewood business never sit down and figure out the numbers in their business and work for way to little. I guess they have more time on their hands than brains.

PLAYINWOOD said:
i sell for 250/CDN most are 275 with some at 300 with rumors of 350
id rather wait and try to get as much as i can for the wood. its not like i sell so much. i guess it could sit until it sells. that what some people must think.

Firewood locally is around $150 a cord now. But it is winter conditions here and that price can go up if split or a longer delivery.
No one is even advertising in the local paper. They look to have plenty of orders from those who are desperate.

treesurgeon said:
id rather wait and try to get as much as i can for the wood. its not like i sell so much. i guess it could sit until it sells. that what some people must think.

February is a good month to have a stockpile of "partially seasoned" firewood.

Dan, I do firewood as well, about 40 cords this year. I refuse to give it away though. $150 a cord seems like a good price for the deep south. That's what it was going for in my redneck of the woods last year.

i just really started selling it and if i want to get top price for the wood i have, i will advertise. i should be getting calls by this weekend. as for selling it in February, i get busy with tree work then, so i will try to sell all, by mid January.

Just sold my first load, $150 6 yard dump loose. Usually comes out to right at or just shy of a cord (heaping load) Great price for here in NW Ohio I think. Usually have around 10 cords out back for my central boiler, folks must have seen it and figured I was selling because I'm starting to get a few calls. Suppose with propane hovering near $2 a gallon who could blame them. For $150 a cord this early in the season I'll start cutting firewood, a little could to run the mill with single digits here, and the shop is pretty full of lumber predrying so.. Felled and Skidded 7 or 8 cords of standing dead out yesterday, hoping to get a few more out later this morning before the snow starts. Been meaning to thin and clear out a 20acre woods I havent touched in years. Suppose that standing dead will be saleable and burn nicely. Cutting around 100 shagbarks out too, hard stuff, makes a ton of heat though. Hoping it will be dry enough to get rid of by February.

here in the aspen area, i sell full cords of pinon pine for $465 delivered and stacked, face cords $165. aspen wood goes for about $120/ face, and i do full cords of aspen for$270. unsplit aspen full cords early in the year go for $150.

most deliveries in town in aspen require 1 hour drive time each way, and stacking wood in all sorts of difficult places. i now have a policy, i dont go inside a customers home, or go upstairs. some get mad, but oh well

spencerhenry said:
here in the aspen area, i sell full cords of pinon pine for $465 delivered and stacked, face cords $165. aspen wood goes for about $120/ face, and i do full cords of aspen for$270. unsplit aspen full cords early in the year go for $150.

most deliveries in town in aspen require 1 hour drive time each way, and stacking wood in all sorts of difficult places. i now have a policy, i don't go inside a customers home, or go upstairs. some get mad, but oh well
sound like a profitable place to sell wood, but expensive to live in aspen. seems like it would be allot of work to unload and stack wood for the customer.

Latest posts

Back