Firewood Prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mixed 5 species is going for 185.00 per cord and single species of oak dry 225.00 per cord ... prices here seem to hardly ever pass 200.00 with the greater availiablity of wood and number of weekend cutters keeping the price down...... have seen dry oak selling on cl. for 150.00 stacked?? if there true measurements and dry it wont take long for them to run out... "FREE ENTERPRISE" i guess works during hard times...............................

Just about everybody I've spoken with has been saying $225 per cord, local delivery only. As a business owner I feel it's descent, but on the lower end as far as being a worthwhile venture. Now on the other hand, I've had a couple of customers come to me in the last 5 weeks or so, and they want wood... now personally, I think that if it's August and you are looking for 3 cords of wood, dumped in 1 shot you should be able to find it for about $175 or less per cord NO problem... however that isn't the case this year. BTW I don't sell wood.

I don't sell firewood. I put up around 23 cords of wood this year for myself and had to work quite hard to get it.

The point of my initial post was something like:
Holy crap, that wood is expensive, I wonder how much gets sold at that price and to whom? If I could sell wood at that price maybe working like a mule would not be that bad initially and as money was made one could invest in equipment to reduce the amount of work that needs to be done.

I have no intentions of going into the firewood business and would not be burning wood to heat my home at 700.00 bucks a cord.
I know what you mean. I see the price on a cord of Pine is down to $500.00 it was $580.00 last year, and 700.00+ is what Birch and Fir go for I will take Fir over birch. But I cut my own yes it's allot of work but a cord of Pine cost's me only about $25.00 in fuel for the truck. And I have great scenery and get to see all types of critters when I go wood hunting saw a big black Wolf the other day.
I think it cost so much as very few heat with wood and those that do cut it themselves. Supply and demand.

I know what you mean. I see the price on a cord of Pine is down to $500.00 it was $580.00 last year, and 700.00+ is what Birch and Fir go for I will take Fir over birch. But I cut my own yes it's allot of work but a cord of Pine cost's me only about $25.00 in fuel for the truck. And I have great scenery and get to see all types of critters when I go wood hunting saw a big black Wolf the other day.
I think it cost so much as very few heat with wood and those that do cut it themselves. Supply and demand.

I give pine away. I need to ship you guys some oak if you can get that much for it. I'm only getting $390 a cord. I sold 8 cords for that this past month. I guessI have to ask how hard would it be to send oak to you guys? I guess the boarded would suck to deal with.

Scott

I give pine away. I need to ship you guys some oak if you can get that much for it. I'm only getting $390 a cord. I sold 8 cords for that this past month. I guessI have to ask how hard would it be to send oak to you guys? I guess the boarded would suck to deal with.

Scott
Ya the boarder thing, I keep thinking Softwood agreement between Can and the U.S lol.I don't mind pine at all, less ash than Poplar and must be a few million trees around. I have burned Oak before in the form of pallets and its awesome like burning coal.

Ya the boarder thing, I keep thinking Softwood agreement between Can and the U.S lol.I don't mind pine at all, less ash than Poplar and must be a few million trees around. I have burned Oak before in the form of pallets and its awesome like burning coal.

Y'all are killing me.
The local kingpin is getting 160 bucks a cord for split and delivered seasoned Oak/maple/ash mixed.

Too many unemployed folks with too many saws to even think about competing here, but hauling it up to Canada sounds like fun!!!:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'm glad I have a full time job, the firewood business is a HARD way to earn a living. It gives me an excuse to run my saws, get some exercise, get next to free firewood and make some money on the side. At least here in Kali we get decent prices, I think in Canada I could make a mint!! :jawdrop:
Barely have any split and the customers are lining up already, I'll be out by X-mas with any luck.

Y'all are killing me.
The local kingpin is getting 160 bucks a cord for split and delivered seasoned Oak/maple/ash mixed.

Too many unemployed folks with too many saws to even think about competing here, but hauling it up to Canada sounds like fun!!!:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote
I think it is only Alberta and Sask where the price is crazy as oil bubbles out of the ground here lol. Too heat the average home with Gas say a 1500cu foot house is around $140.00 a Month for winter. I use about 35.00 dollars as I heat with a wood stove and have a NG water heater and the furnace will kick on if we are away for more than 7 hours. Still I am saving around $ 100.00 a month for the 6 months of winter.
I do see ads for a cord going for $100.00 but most of the time it is just a 3/4 ton truck full so not a full cord really just 3/4 of a cord/most do not know what a cord really is, and for that $100.00 it is not split, that would be a cord of Pine too. Pine is not all that bad seasoned it leaves very little soot in the chimney.Right now I am heating with poplar as it is just above 0° C it's +3°C out side so about 36F.
P.S last Wednesday it was 93° F:dizzy:

Last edited:
i am getting 200-250 per cord of oak, depending on where i take it and if im stacking it

I guess i am doing a lot better than most.
getting roughly
$400 cottonwood
$525 pine
$675 hardwood
Of course i split them a bit smaller and wrap them,more work.(bundles)
(It's called packaging)
A bit more work but 3x the $ in the long run than most are getting for cord wood.
I have noticed a very slight drop in sales this year than in the past 6 and people are paying with a lot more coin than $ bills due to the economy.
Mark

Austin1,

Even though you are in Calgary and I am in Saskatchewan, you have the price structure broken down spot on. I heat my garage with natural gas, about 950 sqft. The house I heat with a wood stove and burn mostly 98% poplar and cottonwood. When it gets cold and windy the furnace kicks in through the night. I am running a Regency 2400.

I likely cannot take wood out of the Cypress Hills due to the pine beetle but I never really looked into it. Thus far I have been able to scrounge enough wood doing local non technical tree removals and talking to land owners who have trees down, which is usually Quaking Aspen.

If I had a choice I would burn Oak, Cherry, Beech, Hickory, Osage, Locust, Sugar Maple, Ash, etc. Maybe then I would not have to put up so much Poplar.

I tried to get through all of the above without saying I would love to have hardwood because all I have is soft wood. :cheers:

Austin1,

Even though you are in Calgary and I am in Saskatchewan, you have the price structure broken down spot on. I heat my garage with natural gas, about 950 sqft. The house I heat with a wood stove and burn mostly 98% poplar and cottonwood. When it gets cold and windy the furnace kicks in through the night. I am running a Regency 2400.

I likely cannot take wood out of the Cypress Hills due to the pine beetle but I never really looked into it. Thus far I have been able to scrounge enough wood doing local non technical tree removals and talking to land owners who have trees down, which is usually Quaking Aspen.

If I had a choice I would burn Oak, Cherry, Beech, Hickory, Osage, Locust, Sugar Maple, Ash, etc. Maybe then I would not have to put up so much Poplar.

I tried to get through all of the above without saying I would love to have hardwood because all I have is soft wood. :cheers:
I don't know if anyone can cut in Cyprus hills as on are side of the line it is a Provincal Park.
Way too far for me anyway. I have some Manitoba Maple in my wood stacks It takes over a year for it to season and supposedly is not any better than Pine to burn? but I tell ya my Axe bounced of it good thing I have a splitter.
I did not know the Pine Beetle made it that far east, I learn something every day!I watched a show on CBC about it they thought are cold winter last year would have slowed the spread of them as they did not think they would make it through a few day's of -40 it did not, the forestry is cutting and burning like crazy here especially up North.
P.S I have not been to Cyprus Hills in 25 years it's a beautiful place!

Sorry a little off topic. I camped at Cyprus Hills park 5 years ago on my way out to Campbell River BC salmon fishing. We camped just past the ranger station right beside a small river on the Sask. side of the park. Man did we see mule deer, white tail deer and elk on the drive into the park. That park is awsome, one of my favorites in Canada!!! I am yearning to go west again:cry:

Sorry a little off topic. I camped at Cyprus Hills park 5 years ago on my way out to Campbell River BC salmon fishing. We camped just past the ranger station right beside a small river on the Sask. side of the park. Man did we see mule deer, white tail deer and elk on the drive into the park. That park is awsome, one of my favorites in Canada!!! I am yearning to go west again:cry:
+1 They have some Turkey's in them hills too they were introduced in the 60s. Plus on my Side you can get a Elk draw.It's a oasis's on the Prairie.
Ont Rocks for Turkey hunting I must go there one day and also catch some big Small Mouths.
P.S not off topic at all I was just looking at a bag from the tackle shop in Cambell River lol.

Last edited:
1/2 cords 165 /175 and no one is quivering, full cords 300 to 340 depending on how well I like them. All sugar maple,ash beech and red oak mix.
I have never hunted Alberta or Saskatchewan but a buddy got 400 geese in 5 days which sounds cool and I would love a poke at an elk,mulie,goat, sheep, sasquatch,whatever
Someday I need to drive out west,until then I'll just fly.Then I playin BC.

Last edited:

Sounds like you were in the West Block at the camping area right by Battle Creek. Did you get a chance to go into Fort Walsh?

This is from the Government of Sask website: http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/Default.aspx?DN=e92ecbd2-eeb2-4cd0-b1d8-dc00d95f555f

Transporting firewood can bring insects and diseases into our natural and urban forests. Since these organisms often live in or under the bark, moving firewood with the bark attached increases the ability for these intruders to travel long distances.

That's why there are legal restrictions on the transport and use of some types of wood. For example, because of the risk of spreading mountain pine beetle, pine wood may not be transported into Saskatchewan or out of the Cypress Hills. Dutch elm disease regulations make it illegal to use, store, transport or buy elm wood for any purpose.

As a side note, I stuffed the stove with wood this morning at 6:15. I had a piece of ash in the mix with the poplar and threw it in. I got the fire burning nice and hot and then closed the damper on the stove so that I had good secondary combustion. When I got home from work at 4:20 I walked by the stove and was wondering why the fan was still running. I thought maybe I left it on manual instead of auto. I made the mistake of quickly touching the stove top, damn that thing was still hot. Opened the stove and the Ash chunk was still burning away. I broke it up into decent sized coals and wished my entire pile was hard wood.

Sounds like you were in the West Block at the camping area right by Battle Creek. Did you get a chance to go into Fort Walsh?

Thats the spot, it was awsome!! We tried a little fishing with no luck. We just stayed one night while passing through, and drove through the park to Alberta. At that time their where alot of people elk hunting in the park, with some pretty elaborate camps set up. Also on the dirt road to Alberta there was a beautiful ranch in a valley all by itself. I can remember thinking if I could live anywhere on earth that would be the spot!

Pure Economics

When the cost of propane is what it is, I can save myself about $500 a winter buying high priced oak or almond (if I have to buy it) at $275 a cord. Had my winter wood stowed away since July.

Here in CT we typically pay $250 for a cord of split, seasoned, hard wood. I have found that it's rarely a full cord, ususally 3/4 or so. Delivery is extra.

Back